Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe

Default Dewalt or Hitachi 12" slide miter saw

My girl got me the new Dewalt 12" slide miter saw DW718 for Christmas. She
got it at Lowe's which also has the new Hitachi 12" C12LSH. Anyone have any
experience with either of these saws? Any comments of one over the other?
I've used Dewalt miter saws in the past and have had a good experience. The
Hitachi has some features the Dewalt does not, laser and digital bevel and
miter angles. The Dewalt says it cuts a 16" board, the Hitachi 12.25". The 2
saws are the same price so I can take back the Dewalt and get the Hitachi.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob V

The 16" cutting width is more than enough reason to keep it.
The other things on the Hitachi are just marketing.

"Joe Joe" wrote in message
My girl got me the new Dewalt 12" slide miter saw DW718 for Christmas. She
got it at Lowe's which also has the new Hitachi 12" C12LSH. Anyone have
any experience with either of these saws? Any comments of one over the
other? I've used Dewalt miter saws in the past and have had a good
experience. The Hitachi has some features the Dewalt does not, laser and
digital bevel and miter angles. The Dewalt says it cuts a 16" board, the
Hitachi 12.25". The 2 saws are the same price so I can take back the
Dewalt and get the Hitachi.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I agree with Rob, a longer cutting distance is a big plus. How tall can
it cut? I assume both of them would lop a 4x4 and a 2x12. In Dewalt's
case, a 2.x16. :-)

If you threw out the cutting width though, it would be the handle that
made the decision for me. Whichever one felt best in my hand and would
be less stressful on those time when I was stuck cutting a few hundred
lengths of x for job z. This Bosch I've got is great for everything
else but the handle placement really sucks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Jackson

I am a carpenter by trade and bought the 718 last month. The saw will
only cut 14" out of the box. A shop made auxiliary fence, IIRC, is required
to cut 16". It will cut to 6 1/2" standing up. I looked at the Hitachi
(and others) when I was shopping for a new scms and decided the digital
stuff seemed gimmicky. Do a google for "DeWalt 718" and check out my
longish review. I've been *extremely* pleased with the saw, however my only
complaint still is I don't like the provided blade at all. So after
receiving a few gift certificates from Santa, it will be replaced with a
Forrest chopmaster this week. Also, keep in mind you have 30 days from date
of purchase to return it if you don't like it, so put it to the test and
take it back if it doesn't "make the cut" for you. --dave

wrote in message
oups.com...
I agree with Rob, a longer cutting distance is a big plus. How tall can
it cut? I assume both of them would lop a 4x4 and a 2x12. In Dewalt's
case, a 2.x16. :-)

If you threw out the cutting width though, it would be the handle that
made the decision for me. Whichever one felt best in my hand and would
be less stressful on those time when I was stuck cutting a few hundred
lengths of x for job z. This Bosch I've got is great for everything
else but the handle placement really sucks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Dave Jackson" wrote in message
my only complaint still is I don't like the provided blade at all. So
after receiving a few gift certificates from Santa, it will be replaced
with a Forrest chopmaster this week.

Is it the 80T DW blade? Have the blade sharpened by someone like Forrest or
Ridge Carbide. It will cut better than new. Mine was mediocre out of the
box, but now is great.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Dave Jackson" wrote in message
my only complaint still is I don't like the provided blade at all. So
after receiving a few gift certificates from Santa, it will be replaced
with a Forrest chopmaster this week.

Is it the 80T DW blade? Have the blade sharpened by someone like Forrest or
Ridge Carbide. It will cut better than new. Mine was mediocre out of the
box, but now is great.

I still have mine - it cut lousy so I put a Freud on it. Very nice. I
think I'll send out the original to Forrest and do a little comparison.

Also, "When shopping for a miter saw, stick to the 10-in. models.
Twelve-in.-diameter blades don't cut as accurately because the teeth
are further from the support of the arbor. Besides, a 10-in. diameter
saw is large enough for most work."*

JP
* = Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to
Woodworking, by Bird, Jewitt, Lie-Nielsen, Rae and Rogowski

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jane & David

In article ,
"Joe Joe" wrote:

My girl got me the new Dewalt 12" slide miter saw DW718 for Christmas. She
got it at Lowe's which also has the new Hitachi 12" C12LSH. Anyone have any
experience with either of these saws? Any comments of one over the other?
I've used Dewalt miter saws in the past and have had a good experience. The
Hitachi has some features the Dewalt does not, laser and digital bevel and
miter angles. The Dewalt says it cuts a 16" board, the Hitachi 12.25". The 2
saws are the same price so I can take back the Dewalt and get the Hitachi.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Two things to consider - the Dewalt is a decent performer and your girl
picked it for you. Keep the Dewalt, she'll feel good seeing you use it.

PDX David
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Jackson

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately the saw came with a 60 tooth ATB blade
labeled "fine finish" (yea right) which I think is not sufficient for *real*
fine finish work. I'm gonna keep it for more rough work and get a better
one for finishing. --dave
t...