How to finish Yellow Poplar?

Old December 26th 05, 01:32 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to finish Yellow Poplar?

Hello,

I made a bowl out of yellow poplar and am trying to figure out the best
way to finish it. This is the first woodworking I've done since I took
woodshop in jr high almost twenty years ago, so the more detail you can
provide, the better.

I like the way the bowl looks now so I wonder if there is a durable,
easy to apply finish that won't alter the appearance of the natural
wood. I was thinking of using tung oil at first because I thought that
would be the easiest thing to apply, but after reading a bit I'm
thinking it might not be the best choice. Even though this is no work
of art, I'd like to finish it off right. I'm looking for something
water resistant and food safe that is not too much work to apply.

Any advice on what works/doesn't work with yellow poplar would be
greatly appreciated.

Old December 26th 05, 02:36 AM posted to rec.woodworking

SM said:

Hello,

I made a bowl out of yellow poplar and am trying to figure out the best
way to finish it. This is the first woodworking I've done since I took
woodshop in jr high almost twenty years ago, so the more detail you can
provide, the better.

I like the way the bowl looks now so I wonder if there is a durable,
easy to apply finish that won't alter the appearance of the natural
wood. I was thinking of using tung oil at first because I thought that
would be the easiest thing to apply, but after reading a bit I'm
thinking it might not be the best choice. Even though this is no work
of art, I'd like to finish it off right. I'm looking for something
water resistant and food safe that is not too much work to apply.

Any advice on what works/doesn't work with yellow poplar would be
greatly appreciated.

Mineral oil.
Apply until the wood will not absorb any more.
Buff it out.

FWIW,

Greg G.
Old December 26th 05, 11:27 AM posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg G." wrote in message

Mineral oil.
Apply until the wood will not absorb any more.
Buff it out.

Then watch as it picks up any dirt from the fingers that handle it, bleeds
oil when set in the sunlight, and catches dust on the oily surface.

Or, use a standard wood finish if you're going to have the bowl for dry use,
a curing oil like tung or walnut without resins, or lacquer.

Don't use surface finishes if you're going to use it for hot popcorn. The
Old Maids will make blisters.

Old December 26th 05, 03:04 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"SM" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

I made a bowl out of yellow poplar and am trying to figure out the best
way to finish it. This is the first woodworking I've done since I took
woodshop in jr high almost twenty years ago, so the more detail you can
provide, the better.

I like the way the bowl looks now so I wonder if there is a durable,
easy to apply finish that won't alter the appearance of the natural
wood. I was thinking of using tung oil at first because I thought that
would be the easiest thing to apply, but after reading a bit I'm
thinking it might not be the best choice. Even though this is no work
of art, I'd like to finish it off right. I'm looking for something
water resistant and food safe that is not too much work to apply.

Any advice on what works/doesn't work with yellow poplar would be
greatly appreciated.

Water based varnishes are about the least altering finish.
Personally I like what oil based varnishes do to the appearance, but since
you don't...

Tung oil won't give you much water resistance.

Old December 26th 05, 08:49 PM posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com, SM
wrote:

Any advice on what works/doesn't work with yellow poplar would be
greatly appreciated.

Walnut oil. It will cure, and won't change the appearance of the wood
too much.

djb

--
The moral difference between a soldier and a civilian is that the soldier
accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic of which he

Some color theory I've purloined from several sources. David Woodworking 6 November 2nd 05 02:20 PM
Oak Dining Table colin UK diy 14 March 15th 05 02:45 PM
Advice on wood finish please... Mike Deblis Woodturning 2 June 16th 04 02:19 PM
Can we use water based finish on oil based finish for maintenance coats? John Smith Woodworking 6 April 28th 04 05:45 PM
A Puzzle - Iron and Yellow Colour in the Water Peter Martin Home Repair 51 July 27th 03 07:14 PM