nitrocellulose lacquer over stain

Old December 25th 05, 01:46 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default nitrocellulose lacquer over stain

I would like to spray nitrocellulose lacquer over Oil stain. Any compatability
issues?
The stain is now 24 hrs dry. Thanks

Old December 25th 05, 02:34 AM posted to rec.woodworking

If used car finishes on furniture, and I've also sprayed a dozen cars
with lacquer. The general principle is that the "hottest" finish cannot
be on top.

Lacquer (and Lacq thinner) are the hottest finishes around and will
"lift" compounds under it if they are less volatile.

One way around this is to spray a sealer first, let dry thoroughly, and
then use the lacquer. I would try this on a piece of scap wood.

Incompatible finishes might look OK for weeks and then begin to checker
or peel.

Gary Curtis

Old December 25th 05, 02:43 AM posted to rec.woodworking

In article , tdevery wrote:

I would like to spray nitrocellulose lacquer over Oil stain. Any
compatability
issues?
The stain is now 24 hrs dry. Thanks

Whadday mean 'oil' stain?

I have sprayed bezillions of gallons of lacquer on stains like
Minwax and such... they're oil based. Not a problem.
Old December 25th 05, 04:19 AM posted to rec.woodworking

tdevery wrote in news

I would like to spray nitrocellulose lacquer over Oil stain. Any
compatability issues?
The stain is now 24 hrs dry. Thanks

I wouldn't think that you would have a problem with stain, but you may want
to try a test piece first. Today I sprayed lacquer on a walnut picture
frame that I had coated last week with Medium Walnut Watco oil (I like the
color it gives). No problems at all.

-G

Old December 25th 05, 04:16 PM posted to rec.woodworking

tdevery wrote in message news

I would like to spray nitrocellulose lacquer over Oil stain. Any
compatability
issues?
The stain is now 24 hrs dry. Thanks

No problems. Most high end guitars are finished exactly this way. Just
know that nitro does not harden for a really long time and can "rub up" a
little bit with use. It's not a problem in any way, but don't be alarmed if
you encounter it. I had an electric guitar custom made a while ago and it
was nitro finished. I used to get a little gumming on the neck after
playing it for a while. The gumming rubbed off with a dry rag and all was
well, but it is a characteristic of nitro. After a while this went away, as
the nitro cured completely.

--

-Mike-

Old December 26th 05, 03:05 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for your help. I feel comfortable going out to the shop and shooting my
project
The laquer is Coranado White Laquer. I will be doing it with an HLVP sprayer.
I believe I have to cut it up to 50% And I do plan on shooting sample boards
first.

Old December 26th 05, 03:14 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

In article , tdevery wrote:

I would like to spray nitrocellulose lacquer over Oil stain. Any
compatability
issues?
The stain is now 24 hrs dry. Thanks

Whadday mean 'oil' stain?

I have sprayed bezillions of gallons of lacquer on stains like
Minwax and such... they're oil based. Not a problem.

Sorry for the term "oil stain"
I am a Hardwood floor refinisher, and we call it oil stain.
It is Pittsburg paints Gunstock stain. I use it to match hardwood floor stains.
It is highly pigmented. I put this into sanding sealer for the first wash coat.
Then sanded it with 220 grit. It is over ASH.
Then stained with Gunstock. Dried two days by now.

Old December 26th 05, 04:54 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
If used car finishes on furniture, and I've also sprayed a dozen cars
with lacquer. The general principle is that the "hottest" finish cannot
be on top.

Lacquer (and Lacq thinner) are the hottest finishes around and will
"lift" compounds under it if they are less volatile.

One way around this is to spray a sealer first, let dry thoroughly, and
then use the lacquer. I would try this on a piece of scap wood.

Incompatible finishes might look OK for weeks and then begin to checker
or peel.

Gary Curtis

If you have prolems with the above try using shellac instead of a laquer
sealer ,then the laquer finish coats .

Old December 30th 05, 04:16 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Ba r r y wrote:
On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 18:46:42 -0600, tdevery wrote:

I would like to spray nitrocellulose lacquer over Oil stain. Any
compatability
issues?

A barrier coat of Seal Coat couldn't hurt.

Barry

Barry:
Sealcoat is something I am VERY familiar with. I use it on flooring work.
Love that I can apply waterborne or oil poly over it.
I guess one very thin brushed on coat, then lightly scuff with a maroon scotch
brite pad. Then spray on lacquer

Fiberglass Door Stain Billy Home Ownership 4 July 31st 06 04:22 PM
Stain Matching: A Better Way? (Long) Mr Fixit eh Woodworking 12 March 18th 05 03:36 AM
acid stain concrete WHoME? Home Repair 8 August 5th 04 04:05 AM
Deck stain. Recommendation? kristen Home Ownership 5 April 14th 04 06:17 PM
new minwax lacquer? Mike S. Woodworking 1 April 2nd 04 10:03 PM