Posted to rec.woodworking
bynot

Default Safe wood for kitchen utensils

I'm trying to find information on which woods are safe to make kitchen
utensils out of & which woods should be avoided.
I tried google and didn't have very good luck. Any help would be greatly
appreciated. TIA

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

bynot wrote:
I'm trying to find information on which woods are safe to make kitchen
utensils out of & which woods should be avoided.

Take a look at the kitches stores?

I've seen birch, beech, maple, bamboo, cherry, olive...

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

When I started, I used maple. I figured any tree that we drink the sap
from is probably safe for touching food with. I've also seen olivewood
utensils on sale.

Bill

Chris Friesen wrote:
bynot wrote:
I'm trying to find information on which woods are safe to make kitchen
utensils out of & which woods should be avoided.

Take a look at the kitches stores?

I've seen birch, beech, maple, bamboo, cherry, olive...

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Barta

bynot wrote:

I'm trying to find information on which woods are safe to make
kitchen utensils out of & which woods should be avoided.
I tried google and didn't have very good luck. Any help would be
greatly appreciated. TIA

I'd imagine most any common hardwood would be "safe". Hard to imagine
a wood would be "unsafe"... except maybe splinters ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Robinson

"Joe Barta" wrote in message
bynot wrote:

I'm trying to find information on which woods are safe to make
kitchen utensils out of & which woods should be avoided.
I tried google and didn't have very good luck. Any help would be
greatly appreciated. TIA

I'd imagine most any common hardwood would be "safe". Hard to imagine
a wood would be "unsafe"... except maybe splinters ;-)

avoid Yew it will make you ill , teak will leach oils which will taint
anything you use them on

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 20:13:54 GMT, "bynot"
wrote:

I'm trying to find information on which woods are safe to make kitchen
utensils out of

That depends if you're planning to cook fish on it....

Posted to rec.woodworking

bynot wrote:
I'm trying to find information on which woods are safe to make kitchen
utensils out of & which woods should be avoided.
I tried google and didn't have very good luck. Any help would be greatly
appreciated. TIA

On one of the _Woodwright Shoppe_ episodes Roy visited with a
spoonmaker who made spoons from a variety of woods including
poison ivy vine.

Generally speaking, you probably should NOT use poison ivy vine, nor
any of the woods with a reputation for toxicity or alergic reactions.

So, woods to avoid would be black walnut, most of the tropical exotics
especially cocobola and rosewoods, redwood, cedars, etc. Probably
most softwoods, being resinous, would at least tend to add some
undesireable flavors to the food.

Woods that have been commonly used for kitchen utensiils include
orchard woods like apple or pearwood, and also olive, maple,
cottonwood,
beech, birch, cherry.

Probably it would be best to avoid porous woods like red oak.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Woodman

Maple is traditionally used for butcher blocks even though it is not the
hardest wood. The belief is that there is something in maple that
naturally inhibits bacterial growth. At the end of the day, the block is
scrubbed hard with specially tempered hard wire brush. I suppose that
besides cleaning the pores of the wood of fat and blood, the newly exposed
wood starts the cycle again. Any butchers out there to verify this?
"bynot" wrote in message
I'm trying to find information on which woods are safe to make kitchen
utensils out of & which woods should be avoided.
I tried google and didn't have very good luck. Any help would be greatly
appreciated. TIA

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"bynot" wrote in message
I'm trying to find information on which woods are safe to make kitchen
utensils out of & which woods should be avoided.
I tried google and didn't have very good luck. Any help would be greatly
appreciated. TIA

I have heard bad things about walnut and many of the tropicals are toxic.
AFAIK any other domestic hardwood would be fine.

Posted to rec.woodworking
hylourgos

wrote:

I'm trying to find information on which woods are safe to make kitchen
utensils out of

That depends if you're planning to cook fish on it....

....in which case you need to seal it in a good polyurethane...

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

wrote in message
ups.com...
So, woods to avoid would be black walnut, most of the tropical exotics
especially cocobola and rosewoods, redwood, cedars, etc. Probably
most softwoods, being resinous, would at least tend to add some
undesireable flavors to the food.

Woods that have been commonly used for kitchen utensiils include
orchard woods like apple or pearwood, and also olive, maple,
cottonwood,
beech, birch, cherry.

My favorite is cherry. Maple shows black mildew if the user leaves it
submerged too long, and shows up food colors easily as well.

Nothing with a lot of large pores or extractives used as dyes.

As to resins, some of the best-looking and most durable spoons I've sold -
and have - have been made of tamarack.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bugs

You forgot to mention Sassafras. It is the wood of choice for peels
[pizza shovelsG]. Most fruit woods are acceptable. Olivewood is one
of the best.
Bugs