Posted to rec.woodworking
Lenny

Default Wiring question: replacing 3Ph motor w/1ph

I recently acquired a Rockwell 46-525 wood lathe and am in the process
of replacing the 3 phase motor with a new single phase 1 Hp that will
for now will run on 110.
The original 3 phase motor was hooked up through a three phase motor
starter with slow start. I've posted a pic of the wiring diagram on
ABPW. My question is : Can I (or should I ) hook the new motor up
using this panel for the sake of the slow start or am I
misinterpreting what the slow start means. Any suggestions on how to
proceed would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Lenny
Posted to rec.woodworking
Wood Butcher

Yes, definitely use it. If you have a power failure which then
comes back on the controller will not power up the motor
until you hit the start button.

L1 & L2 go to the 115V power plug
T1 & T2 go to the motor.
Be sure to adjust the tap on the transformer for 115V.

Art

"Lenny" wrote in message
news
I recently acquired a Rockwell 46-525 wood lathe and am in the process
of replacing the 3 phase motor with a new single phase 1 Hp that will
for now will run on 110.
The original 3 phase motor was hooked up through a three phase motor
starter with slow start. I've posted a pic of the wiring diagram on
ABPW. My question is : Can I (or should I ) hook the new motor up
using this panel for the sake of the slow start or am I
misinterpreting what the slow start means. Any suggestions on how to
proceed would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Lenny

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lenny

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 15:02:42 -0800, "Wood Butcher"
wrote:

Yes, definitely use it. If you have a power failure which then
comes back on the controller will not power up the motor
until you hit the start button.

L1 & L2 go to the 115V power plug
T1 & T2 go to the motor.
Be sure to adjust the tap on the transformer for 115V.

Art

Art, Thanks for your reply !
To furthur prove my ignorance; Can you explain 'adjusting the tap on
the transformer', starting with "where the transformer IS" ?
Thanks again,
Lenny

"Lenny" wrote in message
news
I recently acquired a Rockwell 46-525 wood lathe and am in the process
of replacing the 3 phase motor with a new single phase 1 Hp that will
for now will run on 110.
The original 3 phase motor was hooked up through a three phase motor
starter with slow start. I've posted a pic of the wiring diagram on
ABPW. My question is : Can I (or should I ) hook the new motor up
using this panel for the sake of the slow start or am I
misinterpreting what the slow start means. Any suggestions on how to
proceed would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Lenny

Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

Unfortunately, my news server didn't get the picture you posted. I went
through something similar a few years ago. I purchased a jointer that had a
3PH motor and replaced it with a single phase. In my setup, the on/off
switch ran on 24V, which required a transformer to step the 230V input
voltage down to 24V. If your transformer is like mine, I suspect you will
see a little unit in there maybe 3-4" square with inputs labeled 120, 230,
460, 475 for the various possible input voltages. Hopefully, you have an
input for 120. Mine didn't go that low and I had to replace the
transformer. If you want to send me the pic, I can try to confirm.

Todd

wrote:

Yes, definitely use it. If you have a power failure which then
comes back on the controller will not power up the motor
until you hit the start button.

L1 & L2 go to the 115V power plug
T1 & T2 go to the motor.
Be sure to adjust the tap on the transformer for 115V.

Art

Art, Thanks for your reply !
To furthur prove my ignorance; Can you explain 'adjusting the tap on
the transformer', starting with "where the transformer IS" ?
Thanks again,
Lenny

"Lenny" wrote in message
news
I recently acquired a Rockwell 46-525 wood lathe and am in the process
of replacing the 3 phase motor with a new single phase 1 Hp that will
for now will run on 110.
The original 3 phase motor was hooked up through a three phase motor
starter with slow start. I've posted a pic of the wiring diagram on
ABPW. My question is : Can I (or should I ) hook the new motor up
using this panel for the sake of the slow start or am I
misinterpreting what the slow start means. Any suggestions on how to
proceed would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Lenny

Posted to rec.woodworking
Wood Butcher

If you post a pic of the interior of the starter to
APBW I'll see if I can.

Art

wrote:

Yes, definitely use it. If you have a power failure which then
comes back on the controller will not power up the motor
until you hit the start button.

L1 & L2 go to the 115V power plug
T1 & T2 go to the motor.
Be sure to adjust the tap on the transformer for 115V.

Art

Art, Thanks for your reply !
To furthur prove my ignorance; Can you explain 'adjusting the tap on
the transformer', starting with "where the transformer IS" ?
Thanks again,
Lenny

Posted to rec.woodworking
Carl Stigers

A better way to wire the single phase motor using the three phase starter is
to run leads to L1 and L2 from the main. Run the lead from the output of L2
up to the input of L3. Run the two leads from L1 and L3 to the motor. This
allows the overloads to be balanced and on electronic ones allow them to
work correctly.

We do this when converting a three phase compressor to a single phase. The
only other thing you need to do is verify that the starter will handle a
single phase motor of the amperage you are installing. You may need to
change the overloads and/or the starter's coil.

"Lenny" wrote in message
news
I recently acquired a Rockwell 46-525 wood lathe and am in the process
of replacing the 3 phase motor with a new single phase 1 Hp that will
for now will run on 110.
The original 3 phase motor was hooked up through a three phase motor
starter with slow start. I've posted a pic of the wiring diagram on
ABPW. My question is : Can I (or should I ) hook the new motor up
using this panel for the sake of the slow start or am I
misinterpreting what the slow start means. Any suggestions on how to
proceed would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Lenny

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lenny

Thank you all for your help.
Lew Hodgett also responded to my posts and has been kind enough to
correspond with me. Unfortunately I'm a little slow to grasp even the
clearest of explainations. =0 )
I will post a photo to ABPW and as always I'm very greatful to you all
for helping me get this right (preferably without "lighting" myself up
in the process.
Lenny
("Don't call me Sparky")

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 22:46:34 GMT, "Carl Stigers"
wrote:

A better way to wire the single phase motor using the three phase starter is
to run leads to L1 and L2 from the main. Run the lead from the output of L2
up to the input of L3. Run the two leads from L1 and L3 to the motor. This
allows the overloads to be balanced and on electronic ones allow them to
work correctly.

We do this when converting a three phase compressor to a single phase. The
only other thing you need to do is verify that the starter will handle a
single phase motor of the amperage you are installing. You may need to
change the overloads and/or the starter's coil.

"Lenny" wrote in message
news
I recently acquired a Rockwell 46-525 wood lathe and am in the process
of replacing the 3 phase motor with a new single phase 1 Hp that will
for now will run on 110.
The original 3 phase motor was hooked up through a three phase motor
starter with slow start. I've posted a pic of the wiring diagram on
ABPW. My question is : Can I (or should I ) hook the new motor up
using this panel for the sake of the slow start or am I
misinterpreting what the slow start means. Any suggestions on how to
proceed would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Lenny

Posted to rec.woodworking
Wood Butcher

Refer to "wiring3.jpg" posted on ABPW.

The transformer itself is on the upper left. The wire you
need to move is shown on the upper right. The "L"
connections to the plug are circled on the lower left.
The "T" connections are indicated, however you need to
determine which is 1, 2, & 3. Trace the black wires from the
top of the "L" block to the "?" symbols. "T1" is directly
below the "L1" wire connection. "T2" below "L2", etc.

Follow Carl's wiring suggestion for the "L" and "T"
connections.

Hope this helps.

Art

Art, Thanks for your reply !
To furthur prove my ignorance; Can you explain 'adjusting the tap on
the transformer', starting with "where the transformer IS" ?
Thanks again,
Lenny

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lenny

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:59:51 -0800, "Wood Butcher"
wrote:

Refer to "wiring3.jpg" posted on ABPW.

The transformer itself is on the upper left. The wire you
need to move is shown on the upper right. The "L"
connections to the plug are circled on the lower left.
The "T" connections are indicated, however you need to
determine which is 1, 2, & 3. Trace the black wires from the
top of the "L" block to the "?" symbols. "T1" is directly
below the "L1" wire connection. "T2" below "L2", etc.

Follow Carl's wiring suggestion for the "L" and "T"
connections.

Hope this helps.

Art

Thanks Art,
According to the diagram on the cover T1 is to the left T2 in the
center and T3 on the right.
So I move the wire on the transformer from 200 to 115 as you marked.
That's the part I understand. I'm capable of following a diagram that
says take black wire from power cord and connect HERE. Connect White
wire from Power cord Here. Just so you know my limitations. =0 )
With that said ;
Carl wrote: "run leads to L1 and L2 From the Main"
Does that mean my power cord coming in ? and is it white to L1 Black
to L2 ?
Carl also wrote: " Run the lead from the output of L2 up to the input
of L3"
Does the output refer to the black wire right above L2 and where is
the input of L3 , right under L3 where the original power cord is
attached now. If I picture it right it would just loop from the top
of L2 around and come up under L3 right beside the wires from the new
power cord. What is done with the existing wires that are coming out
of the top of L1 L2 and L3 now ?
Sorry to be so thick on this. If you loose patience with me I will
understand.

Thanks,
Lenny
Posted to rec.woodworking
Wood Butcher

I assume you will be getting a new power cord and abandoning
the existing one. I recommend getting one with 12 gauge wires.

Power cord:
Black = L2
White = L1
Green = copper strip below T3 [already has
a green wire shown in your pic]

Jumper wi
From T2 to L3 [same gauge as the power cord wire]
[Carl spoke in short hand. The above is what is needed]

Motor:
Black = T3
White = T1
Green = copper strip [same as the green wire from the plug]

Leave the existing wires on the top of L1, L2, L3 as they are.

If you need further help ping me off group at
wood butcher 007 at comcast dot net
replace the obvious and remove all spaces

Art

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lenny

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 17:10:39 -0800, "Wood Butcher"
wrote:

I assume you will be getting a new power cord and abandoning
the existing one. I recommend getting one with 12 gauge wires.

Power cord:
Black = L2
White = L1
Green = copper strip below T3 [already has
a green wire shown in your pic]

Jumper wi
From T2 to L3 [same gauge as the power cord wire]
[Carl spoke in short hand. The above is what is needed]

Motor:
Black = T3
White = T1
Green = copper strip [same as the green wire from the plug]

Leave the existing wires on the top of L1, L2, L3 as they are.

If you need further help ping me off group at
wood butcher 007 at comcast dot net
replace the obvious and remove all spaces

Art

Thanks Art,
That's all just as I thought, but I didn't want to take any chances
that I was assuming to much. I have already picked up the 12-2 w/g.
Looks like I'm all set.

Thanks very much to all who have helped me here.
Now... who can help me with these below freezing temperatures. =0 )

Lenny

.. .