Posted to rec.woodworking
foggytown

Default TS blade teeth

When I bought my TS and sliding compound mitre saw they both came with
10" blades that were 40 and 32 teeth respectively. I used them but
finally realized that I wanted something finer for the type of stuff I
do (small furniture) with soft wood. So I replaced them both with 80T
blades and I already think I'm going to be much happier. But it begs
the question: why do makers supply such "hatchet job" blades to begin
with? They must be cheaper, of course. The bigger question however is
whether there is any short or long term reason NOT to use 60T or 80T
blades for everything I do. Even if I were only cutting rough sawn
4X4s all the time, why not use a fine-tooth blade?

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

Maybe if you were only crosscutting all the time, the 60-80 toothed
blades would be allright, but I do a little ripping on my tablesaw. Get
a much better quality rip with fewer teeth. What type of tooth pattern
do your new blades have? Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

foggytown wrote:

When I bought my TS and sliding compound mitre saw they both came with
10" blades that were 40 and 32 teeth respectively. I used them but
finally realized that I wanted something finer for the type of stuff I
do (small furniture) with soft wood. So I replaced them both with 80T
blades and I already think I'm going to be much happier. But it begs
the question: why do makers supply such "hatchet job" blades to begin
with? They must be cheaper, of course. The bigger question however is
whether there is any short or long term reason NOT to use 60T or 80T
blades for everything I do. Even if I were only cutting rough sawn
4X4s all the time, why not use a fine-tooth blade?

FoggyTown

They don't all supply lousy blades. My Unisaw came with a blade that
does a credible job (except for melamine, of course). My new Makita
slider came with the best blade of any product I've ever purchased. It
leaves cuts that look like they were planed smooth.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
wayne mak

If you do any ripping you won't want that many teeth, you most likely have
combination blades. If I am cutting 2 x 4 or 4 x4 or any rough lumber I
wouldn't want to trash a $$$ blade.
"foggytown" wrote in message
oups.com...
When I bought my TS and sliding compound mitre saw they both came with
10" blades that were 40 and 32 teeth respectively. I used them but
finally realized that I wanted something finer for the type of stuff I
do (small furniture) with soft wood. So I replaced them both with 80T
blades and I already think I'm going to be much happier. But it begs
the question: why do makers supply such "hatchet job" blades to begin
with? They must be cheaper, of course. The bigger question however is
whether there is any short or long term reason NOT to use 60T or 80T
blades for everything I do. Even if I were only cutting rough sawn
4X4s all the time, why not use a fine-tooth blade?

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

On 5 Dec 2005 08:11:39 -0800, "foggytown" wrote:

When I bought my TS and sliding compound mitre saw they both came with
10" blades that were 40 and 32 teeth respectively. I used them but
finally realized that I wanted something finer for the type of stuff I
do (small furniture) with soft wood. So I replaced them both with 80T
blades and I already think I'm going to be much happier. But it begs
the question: why do makers supply such "hatchet job" blades to begin
with? They must be cheaper, of course. The bigger question however is
whether there is any short or long term reason NOT to use 60T or 80T
blades for everything I do. Even if I were only cutting rough sawn
4X4s all the time, why not use a fine-tooth blade?

All 40 tooth blades are not created equally. A mid quality blade will
cost about $50, the best quality about $100. Do you think most saw
manufacturers are going to include one of those or the cheapest blade
they can get? You'll be amazed at the difference it makes, both in
quality of cut and noise level.

-Leuf

Posted to rec.woodworking
Limey Lurker

They don't all supply lousy blades. My Unisaw came with a blade that
does a credible job (except for melamine, of course). My new Makita
slider came with the best blade of any product I've ever purchased. It
leaves cuts that look like they were planed smooth.

In an emergency, I had to remove the blade from my Makita MS and use it
in a table saw to rip some softwood. It did the job brilliantly, no
planing was neccesary before gluing. I've cancelled the order for the
TS blade and I'm looking for a Makita blade to dedicate to the TS.