DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Grizzly G5959Z 5hp table saw (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/134007-grizzly-g5959z-5hp-table-saw.html)

Frank Ketchum December 3rd 05 11:30 PM

Grizzly G5959Z 5hp table saw

Anyone out there own this beast? I am considering it and had a couple
questions.
It is a 12", 5hp, 220volt single phase, left tilt tablesaw on their website
for $1,729.25 delivered.

1) Are you happy with the saw itself? I currently have 2 grizzly tools, the
8 inch G500 jointer and the 14 inch G555 bandsaw. I am happy with both, but
I didn't take the plunge until I read alot about them from happy owners. As
far as this saw goes, there doesn't seem to be much info available in the
archives about it. I assume because most people probably opt for a 10 inch
model.

2) It has long rails to allow for a 50" rip capacity which I want. The
thing is, with their other saws that have the long rails, there appears to
be a surface that comes with the rails and goes in between them at least
according to the pictures. It just looks like a piece of melamine There
doesn't appear to be anything that comes with the 5959 that goes between the
rails. If that is the case, did you build something to install there and
was attaching it much of a chore?

3) At 5hp the saw draws 27amps. The data sheet says to use a 30 amp
breaker. I believe for a machine of this size, you are not supposed to use
an extension cord, but rather hard pipe the power to it. Anyone know if
this is true?

4) The shipping weight of the main carton with the saw in it is 551lbs. How
did you unload it? 4 guys?

5) How did the assembly go?

Any other thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance for all replies.

Frank

DonkeyHody December 4th 05 12:46 AM

Grizzly G5959Z 5hp table saw

Frank,
1. I don't have the Grizzly saw, but I do have a 5 HP Unisaw.

2. Even if it doesn't come with a table to go between the rails, it's
fairly easy to make one. you just laminate some masonite or melamine
over a piece of good 3/4 plywood or MDF with a 1 1/2" skirt around the
perimeter of the bottom.

3. Check

wayne mak December 4th 05 12:54 AM

Grizzly G5959Z 5hp table saw

27 amps is a good draw but my welder draws more and i run a cord to it.
Heavy wire and a 50 amp breaker, can't think off the top of my head the wire
size.
k.net...

KaiS. December 4th 05 01:13 AM

wayne mak wrote:
27 amps is a good draw but my welder draws more and i run a cord to it.
Heavy wire and a 50 amp breaker, can't think off the top of my head the wire
size.
"Frank Ketchum" wrote in message
k.net...

snip

Don't recall off the top of my head but when I wired my wife's kilns to
a 50amp breaker it was 8. Might have even have been 6.

J & K Tomalonis December 4th 05 01:33 AM

Grizzly G5959Z 5hp table saw

"Frank Ketchum" wrote in message
k.net...

3) At 5hp the saw draws 27amps. The data sheet says to use a 30 amp
breaker. I believe for a machine of this size, you are not supposed to
use an extension cord, but rather hard pipe the power to it. Anyone know
if this is true?

I run various heavy amp tools outside via some nice # 8 flexible extension
cord I made up to plug into my arc welder's outlet.

I can see no voltage drop for the distance I run. That wire runs my "big"
pressure washer, planer or a unisaw easily.

It's easy enough to look up the wire size you need if you are planning on
long runs.

Sometimes it's nice to wheel out of doors if I'm in for a huge cloud of
sawdust.

James

AL December 4th 05 01:40 AM

Grizzly G5959Z 5hp table saw

I don't own the saw so I can't comment on 1 or 5.

Regarding 2, you can easily built your own out of melamine, mdo, mdf, any
scrap plywood, etc. When building it, you might also want to cut one or two
holes for a router insert or two. Or a router insert and a jigsaw insert.
Whatever your needs are.

Regarding 3, EMT or rigid conduit would be safest, but not absolutely
necessary. You can use a cord (assuming the conductors are thick enough for
your length), or flexible conduit if you want.

Regarding 4, the shipping company might be able to send a truck with a
liftgate for an extra fee. If not, you can rent a liftgate truck and pick
up at the shipping company's terminal. Rent or borrow a pallet jack and you
can get it into your garage easily. Then get your 3 buddies to help you
slide it off the pallet.

Rick Samuel December 4th 05 02:19 AM

Grizzly G5959Z 5hp table saw

# 4) If you have a loading dock at work, AND can arrange use of a
forklift, AND have a pickup........... Worked for me. Jointer was 300 lbs.

butch burton December 4th 05 03:37 AM

Grizzly G5959Z 5hp table saw

Another shipping option is to pick it up at the trucking company's
freight terminal - rent or borrow a trailer with a flop down gate on
the back - get a couple of guys and a pallet jack. Or if no pallet
jack - get several pieces of 3" pipe and roll the pallet on that.
Another advantage to picking it up at the freight terminal - if there
is damage - much easier to either refuse the shipment there and get
someone to counter sign your damage claim. Hidden damage is hard to
collect on.

Jim Weisgram December 4th 05 03:49 AM

Grizzly G5959Z 5hp table saw

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 22:30:37 GMT, "Frank Ketchum"
wrote:

Anyone out there own this beast? I am considering it and had a couple
questions.
It is a 12", 5hp, 220volt single phase, left tilt tablesaw on their website
for $1,729.25 delivered.

1) Are you happy with the saw itself? I currently have 2 grizzly tools, the
8 inch G500 jointer and the 14 inch G555 bandsaw. I am happy with both, but
I didn't take the plunge until I read alot about them from happy owners. As
far as this saw goes, there doesn't seem to be much info available in the
archives about it. I assume because most people probably opt for a 10 inch
model.

[...snip...]

Grizzly will provide names of previous purchasers of tools; usually
for you to go visit and see it in action. I doubt there are a lot of
these in your or anyone's area, but you could give it a try. Possibly
if there is nobody local you can get a phone number of an owner.

DonkeyHody December 4th 05 04:39 AM

Grizzly G5959Z 5hp table saw

Sorry, I SWMBO called me to supper as I was answering. I had a brain
freeze and hit post instead of cancel.

Anyway . . .
3. Check your data sheet to be sure it doesn't require a 30 amp SLOW
TRIP breaker. Most motors draw quite a bit more amperage at startup.
Delta tells me my 5 HP Unisaw pulls over 100 Amps for about 1.5 seconds
at startup. They say a 30 amp slow trip breaker or a 40 amp standard
breaker will hold it. I used 40 amp because the slow trip breaker is a
specialty item; hard to find and way more expensive. Delta sells their
5 hp saw without a cord, but I'm not aware of any requirement to use
conduit. I see no reason why you couldln't use a section of
appropriately sized flex cord. If there is a requirement I'm not aware
of, I'm sure one of the electrical experts will chime in and set me
straight.

4. A crate of that weight is easier to unload than it sounds with just
two people. I had four, but found there really wasn't room for more
than two to get a good hold on the crate. If the tailgate is not tooo
high off the ground, you can GENTLY tip the crate onto its side. Then
slide the crate so the tipping point is at the edge of the tailgate.
Then you can lower the end to the ground before the lower end gets too
heavy to manage. If the tailgate is high, you can tip the crate over,
then slide it down a ramp built from a couple of
boards. The friction of the crate on the boards is enough to help you
keep things under control. Once you have it on the ground, uncrate the
saw. Without the extension wings and crate, the saw itself is
managable by one person with a two wheeled dolly if you strap it to the
dolly.

5. I don't think the saws are similar enough for my assembly
experience to be much help to you, but it went fine.

DonkeyHody
"We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom
that is in it - and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits down
on a hot stove-lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid
again---and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold
one anymore." - Mark Twain

Bubba Wood December 4th 05 02:41 PM

wrote:

Anyone out there own this beast? I am considering it and had a couple
questions.
It is a 12", 5hp, 220volt single phase, left tilt tablesaw on their website
for $1,729.25 delivered.

1) Are you happy with the saw itself? I currently have 2 grizzly tools, the
8 inch G500 jointer and the 14 inch G555 bandsaw. I am happy with both, but
I didn't take the plunge until I read alot about them from happy owners. As
far as this saw goes, there doesn't seem to be much info available in the
archives about it. I assume because most people probably opt for a 10 inch
model.

I own this beast and it is a beast. 4 feet of cast iron across the
top. It is a rock solid saw. I also own the Grizz 20" band saw, the
24" drum sander a 6" jointer and a Cyclone DC. All of them are great.

2) It has long rails to allow for a 50" rip capacity which I want. The
thing is, with their other saws that have the long rails, there appears to
be a surface that comes with the rails and goes in between them at least
according to the pictures. It just looks like a piece of melamine There
doesn't appear to be anything that comes with the 5959 that goes between the
rails. If that is the case, did you build something to install there and
was attaching it much of a chore?

Standard rail and a clone Bessy fence. All solid, heavy and straight.
There is no filler in the rails but easy enough to build and install.
There are holes for mounting the filler. The rails do have support
legs which do not show in the picture.

3) At 5hp the saw draws 27amps. The data sheet says to use a 30 amp
breaker. I believe for a machine of this size, you are not supposed to use
an extension cord, but rather hard pipe the power to it. Anyone know if
this is true?

A short cord to a 30 amp twist lock is fine. I run a 3 ft. cord to a
floor plug. No problems.

4) The shipping weight of the main carton with the saw in it is 551lbs. How
did you unload it? 4 guys?

I unloaded it with an off road stick boom fork fork lift I had on site
since I was building the shop to house this thing at the time. We got
the roof up and set this and the rest of the equipment in with the
fork lift. I do not advise anyone considering this saw to attempt
unloading it by the tilt and slide method. The packing crate will NOT
allow it. It is just a thin shell crate attached to a pallet. This
must be kept level so only unload it with a lift gate or fork lift.

5) How did the assembly go?

Couldn't have been eaiser, I wish the DC was as simple. Attach the
wings, they are heavy and you will need 4 hands. Attach the rails,
they are heavy too... attach the fence system. All simple stuff.
Follow basic setup and alignment procedures as you would for any TS.
Took me about 2 hours as I recall.

Any other thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance for all replies.

Oh as you would expect in a saw of this type. It has no blade so be
prepared to spend a bunch more money for 12" monsters. I got a Frued
12" 96tooth atb for $100 at amazon. It will cut anything.

This is a monster, but it should be the last monster you ever need to
buy.

Hope that helps... if you buy this thing you will be a member of a
small faternity..

Larry

Frank

Frank Ketchum December 4th 05 04:40 PM

"Bubba Wood" wrote in message

Standard rail and a clone Bessy fence. All solid, heavy and straight.
There is no filler in the rails but easy enough to build and install.
There are holes for mounting the filler. The rails do have support
legs which do not show in the picture.

Good. I was surprised to see in the picture the rails hangin off in space.

I unloaded it with an off road stick boom fork fork lift I had on site
since I was building the shop to house this thing at the time. We got
the roof up and set this and the rest of the equipment in with the
fork lift. I do not advise anyone considering this saw to attempt
unloading it by the tilt and slide method. The packing crate will NOT
allow it. It is just a thin shell crate attached to a pallet. This
must be kept level so only unload it with a lift gate or fork lift.

That sucks, but it was what I was thinking might be the case.

Oh as you would expect in a saw of this type. It has no blade so be
prepared to spend a bunch more money for 12" monsters. I got a Frued
12" 96tooth atb for $100 at amazon. It will cut anything.

It says that it comes with quick change arbors, so you don't need to throw
out your 10" blades.

This is a monster, but it should be the last monster you ever need to
buy.

Hope that helps... if you buy this thing you will be a member of a
small faternity..

That part of it is a little worrysome to me. Prefer to buy things which
have been tried and true by many folks. Thanks for the input.

Frank

Frank Ketchum December 4th 05 04:43 PM

Grizzly G5959Z 5hp table saw

"DonkeyHody" wrote in message
oups.com...

3. Check your data sheet to be sure it doesn't require a 30 amp SLOW
TRIP breaker. Most motors draw quite a bit more amperage at startup.
Delta tells me my 5 HP Unisaw pulls over 100 Amps for about 1.5 seconds
at startup.

Data sheet says it draws 27amps and to use a 30 amp breaker. No mention of
slow trip.

Thanks for the input.

Frank