Posted to rec.woodworking
Olebiker

Default Grizzly riser block - the hidden cost

I recently purchased a riser block for my Grizzly 1019 bandsaw. When I
went to install it Saturday I found that I needed a 32 mm box end
wrench. Neither Home Depot nor Lowe's had it so I had to go to Sears.
The wrench cost me about $25. I don't think the riser kit cost much
more than that.

Oh, well. I'll add that to all th rest of the tools I have bought and
used one time. I am, however, looking forward to mounting that Wood
Slicer blade and practicing my resawing.

Dick Durbin

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Olebiker" wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently purchased a riser block for my Grizzly 1019 bandsaw. When I
went to install it Saturday I found that I needed a 32 mm box end
wrench. Neither Home Depot nor Lowe's had it so I had to go to Sears.
The wrench cost me about $25. I don't think the riser kit cost much
more than that.

Oh, well. I'll add that to all th rest of the tools I have bought and
used one time. I am, however, looking forward to mounting that Wood
Slicer blade and practicing my resawing.

Hey, if you think the extra $25 adds to the cost wait until you find that
you have to buy all new blades. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

Olebiker wrote:
I recently purchased a riser block for my Grizzly 1019 bandsaw. When I
went to install it Saturday I found that I needed a 32 mm box end
wrench. Neither Home Depot nor Lowe's had it so I had to go to Sears.
The wrench cost me about $25. I don't think the riser kit cost much
more than that.

Did it need to be box-end?

If open-end is acceptable, it's a fairly common size of wrench for
bicycle headset adjustments.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking
Olebiker

I have the 1/2" Wood Slicer and a 1/4" Olson All Pro that I will keep
installed most of the time. How many different blades do you need?

Dick

Posted to rec.woodworking
Olebiker

Did it need to be box-end?

Yes. I tried to use a Crescent wrench, but the head was too large to
fit into the rather small opening provided. The wrench I bought was
open-end on one end and box-end on the other. The open-end side was
still too large to fit into the opening.

If open-end is acceptable, it's a fairly common size of wrench for bicycle headset adjustments.

Well, I'll be darned. I can justify the price now. Thanks for
pointing that out. You know, in all these years of riding, I have had
very few occasions to mess with the headset. I still have an old
Campagnolo headset that came on a bike I bought in 1974. I used it for
over 25 years with very little maintenance. It is still as good as
new.

Dick

Posted to rec.woodworking
Buddy Matlosz

"Olebiker" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have the 1/2" Wood Slicer and a 1/4" Olson All Pro that I will keep
installed most of the time. How many different blades do you need?

Dick

I believe he meant that adding a riser block renders your old blades
useless, you have to buy longer ones.

B.

Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB

Go to the hardware store for the next oddball wrench or use a crescent (if
it will fit). Sears sells brand name at a premium (and IMHO the brand is
tarnished). Other hand tools, including Master Mechanic, are much cheaper
and have the same warranty.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Olebiker

The only hardware store within miles of my house is a Do It Best store.
They don't carry anything larger than 22mm. While I would really like
to do business with these folks, their prices are just too high on most
of what I need and their stock is too limited.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Olebiker

Reminds me of the time years ago when a lady I worked with complained
about the amount of money her husband spent on taxidermy. He sent a
big bass off to his taxidermist, Louie, in Little Rock along with a
check for $100. His wife told him that if he didn't quit wasting her
hard earned money she was going to go to Arkansas and have Louie mount
her. It went over his head like a high breeze.

Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin

"Olebiker" wrote in message
ups.com...

If open-end is acceptable, it's a fairly common size of wrench for bicycle
headset adjustments.

Well, I'll be darned. I can justify the price now. Thanks for
pointing that out. You know, in all these years of riding, I have had
very few occasions to mess with the headset. I still have an old
Campagnolo headset that came on a bike I bought in 1974. I used it for
over 25 years with very little maintenance. It is still as good as
new.

That old Campy grease is probably in need of replacement. Further justify
the wrench expense immediately by repacking your headset! ;~)

I have a Campy steel track headset on my oldest mountain bike... that hasn't
been repacked since 1986 when I repacked it in Charlotte, NY during a ride
from FL to NY. Can I borrow your wrench? ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
Olebiker

Sure. I'll be home tonight. C'mon over.

Dick

Posted to rec.woodworking
John Thomas

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
nk.net:

That old Campy grease is probably in need of replacement. Further
justify the wrench expense immediately by repacking your headset! ;~)

I have a Campy steel track headset on my oldest mountain bike... that
hasn't been repacked since 1986 when I repacked it in Charlotte, NY
during a ride from FL to NY. Can I borrow your wrench? ;~)

John

Y'all are scaring me. I raced, primarily track, in my younger, slimmer
days.

IIRC, the Campy track headset was never known for its grease retention
capability.

I used to tear my bikes down to the frame a couple of times per year.

IOW, I was about like Greg with his unisaur ..;-) (which I've very much
enjoyed reading about).

--
Regards,

JT
Speaking only for myself....
Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin

"John Thomas" wrote in message
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
nk.net:

That old Campy grease is probably in need of replacement. Further
justify the wrench expense immediately by repacking your headset! ;~)

I have a Campy steel track headset on my oldest mountain bike... that
hasn't been repacked since 1986 when I repacked it in Charlotte, NY
during a ride from FL to NY. Can I borrow your wrench? ;~)

John

Y'all are scaring me. I raced, primarily track, in my younger, slimmer
days.

IIRC, the Campy track headset was never known for its grease retention
capability.

I used to tear my bikes down to the frame a couple of times per year.

IOW, I was about like Greg with his unisaur ..;-) (which I've very much
enjoyed reading about).

Just noticed that I wrote Charlotte, NY... should have been NC! Laid over
there for 4 days when the temperatures dropped into the teens at night and
it was raining during the day.

RE the old track headset, that particular bike, a first year issue Trek
850--their first mountain bike--is not used much these days. I've got a
Specialized Epic that is a WHOLE DIFFERENT technology!

As I recall I had killed a couple alloy mountain bike headsets in short
order before trying the steel Campy unit. That headset still feels pretty
smooth despite the neglect... The Urgel (memory loss due to lack of
sleep--is that the correct spelling???) headsets were way too nice to ride
in the mud and sand but the steel one was laying around in the shop so it
went on the Trek.

That trip is how I ended up working at Colonial Williamsburg with folks like
Mack Hadeley (sp--another memory loss) and Roy Underhill. Note the lame
attempt to get back on the woodworking topic. ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gerald Ross

Olebiker wrote:
I recently purchased a riser block for my Grizzly 1019 bandsaw. When I
went to install it Saturday I found that I needed a 32 mm box end
wrench. Neither Home Depot nor Lowe's had it so I had to go to Sears.
The wrench cost me about $25. I don't think the riser kit cost much
more than that.

Oh, well. I'll add that to all th rest of the tools I have bought and
used one time. I am, however, looking forward to mounting that Wood
Slicer blade and practicing my resawing.

Dick Durbin

I was in the same boat. I took the nut to the store and found a socket
that would work, although it was not a metric socket. Never have found
another use for the socket, though.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Half of the people in the world are
below average.

Posted to rec.woodworking
AL

Even thought it was expensive, I think you did the right thing by buying the
right tool for the job.

Plumbers have something called an "adjustable slip nut wrench" (search
google for a picture) which has thin, narrow jaws that can adjust up to
around 3". It might fit your riser block, but you might not be able to
torque it down enough.

Another option is one of those sets of imported, large-sized wrenches.
Harbor Freight and Menards sell them for under $20. I doubt they'll last
very long, but they're good for these one-off jobs.

"Olebiker" wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently purchased a riser block for my Grizzly 1019 bandsaw. When I
went to install it Saturday I found that I needed a 32 mm box end
wrench. Neither Home Depot nor Lowe's had it so I had to go to Sears.
The wrench cost me about $25. I don't think the riser kit cost much
more than that.

Oh, well. I'll add that to all th rest of the tools I have bought and
used one time. I am, however, looking forward to mounting that Wood
Slicer blade and practicing my resawing.

Dick Durbin

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ralph E Lindberg

In article ,
"AL" wrote:

Even thought it was expensive, I think you did the right thing by buying the
right tool for the job.

Plumbers have something called an "adjustable slip nut wrench" (search
google for a picture) which has thin, narrow jaws that can adjust up to
around 3". It might fit your riser block, but you might not be able to
torque it down enough.

Another option is one of those sets of imported, large-sized wrenches.
Harbor Freight and Menards sell them for under $20. I doubt they'll last
very long, but they're good for these one-off jobs.
..

I've bought the "Pittsburgh Forge" wrenches in both SAE and Metric,
and found uses for several. For intermittent use they are great, aren't
even close to Craftsmen quality, but they will do.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave

Why not just pay the 2 or 3 dollars and get the correct socket? I did for
mine. You don't have to pay big money for a Snap-on etc., get a cheap
import.

"AL" wrote in message
. ..
Even thought it was expensive, I think you did the right thing by buying
the right tool for the job.

Plumbers have something called an "adjustable slip nut wrench" (search
google for a picture) which has thin, narrow jaws that can adjust up to
around 3". It might fit your riser block, but you might not be able to
torque it down enough.

Another option is one of those sets of imported, large-sized wrenches.
Harbor Freight and Menards sell them for under $20. I doubt they'll last
very long, but they're good for these one-off jobs.

"Olebiker" wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently purchased a riser block for my Grizzly 1019 bandsaw. When I
went to install it Saturday I found that I needed a 32 mm box end
wrench. Neither Home Depot nor Lowe's had it so I had to go to Sears.
The wrench cost me about $25. I don't think the riser kit cost much
more than that.

Oh, well. I'll add that to all th rest of the tools I have bought and
used one time. I am, however, looking forward to mounting that Wood
Slicer blade and practicing my resawing.

Dick Durbin

Posted to rec.woodworking
Olebiker

There was not room for the ratchet and the socket where the bolt head
was. There was room for the ratchet and socket on the nut side but it
would require a deep socket. None of the stores had a deep socket that
size.

Dick

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On 21 Nov 2005 05:51:47 -0800, "Olebiker" wrote:

I recently purchased a riser block for my Grizzly 1019 bandsaw. When I
went to install it Saturday I found that I needed a 32 mm box end
wrench. Neither Home Depot nor Lowe's had it so I had to go to Sears.
The wrench cost me about $25. I don't think the riser kit cost much
more than that.

Oh, well. I'll add that to all th rest of the tools I have bought and
used one time. I am, however, looking forward to mounting that Wood
Slicer blade and practicing my resawing.

Dick Durbin

hmm... don't remember what size it was, but when i put the griz riser on I used
one of my SAE sockets from the 1/2" drive set.. I think it was about 1 1/2" ??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave

I used a hinge handle on my socket it is obvious that a ratchet will not
fit. If you don't have deep socket thread the nut on by hand as far as you
can get it then wedge the flat end of a crow bar along side of the nut and
have someone hold it for you and then tighten from the top down.