Robert Rifkin

Default Inlaying perpendiculat to the grain

Hi,

If I inlay narrow strips of wood perpendicular to the grain direction, must
I worry abou the inlay splitting owing to wood expansion/contraction?

thanks in advance.

bob

yes. you can keep it under control by keeping the cross grain sections
short.

the_tool_man

Hi bob:

I have done this, though it was at a large scale. When I did some
decorative inlay in my hardwood floors, I used short sections of wood
for the cross-grain inlay. That allows the underlying wood to move
seasonally. By cutting the pieces from the same piece of wood, the
grain matches and the joints are nearly invisible. Here's a pictu

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...80960351BLjgSL

Regards,
John.