Dr. Deb

Default jointer

I am being seriously tempted to replace my HF 4" jointer (good little
jointer, but like all HF jointers, lousy fence) with a 6" and am looking at
both the Grizzly (great price) and the Sunhill. Does anyone have any input
on which would be the better choice?

Thanks

Deb
Lew Hodgett

Dr. Deb wrote:
I am being seriously tempted to replace my HF 4" jointer (good little
jointer, but like all HF jointers, lousy fence) with a 6" and am looking at
both the Grizzly (great price) and the Sunhill. Does anyone have any input
on which would be the better choice?

There is an outfit in PA that sells an off shore unit people who have
used it seem to like.

Lew

Dr. Deb wrote:
I am being seriously tempted to replace my HF 4" jointer (good little
jointer, but like all HF jointers, lousy fence) with a 6" and am looking at
both the Grizzly (great price) and the Sunhill. Does anyone have any input
on which would be the better choice?

Thanks

Deb

I've never used either the griz or the sunhill, but the sunhill 8"
jionter has a good reputation...

George

"Dr. Deb" wrote in message
I am being seriously tempted to replace my HF 4" jointer (good little
jointer, but like all HF jointers, lousy fence) with a 6" and am looking
at
both the Grizzly (great price) and the Sunhill. Does anyone have any
input
on which would be the better choice?

The one you can return if it isn't correct. Have had a number of problems
with Grizz tools in a former life. Parts were cheerfully supplied, but the
question of why it happened to so many and so often lingers....

wlantry

Wilke machinery sells a Yorkcraft 6" jointer. Somewhere around $325.
It's a dead ringer for the delta 6", almost as if it rolled off the
same assembly line, magically at about half the price...

Thanks,

Bill

No

Yorkcraft got best buy in a recent review. I may take a drive out there
and look at them sometime.

John Girouard

Dr. Deb wrote:
I am being seriously tempted to replace my HF 4" jointer (good little
jointer, but like all HF jointers, lousy fence) with a 6" and am looking at
both the Grizzly (great price) and the Sunhill. Does anyone have any input
on which would be the better choice?

Thanks

Deb

I got a Ridgid 6" at one of my area orange borgs for $310. I guess they
aren't going to be carrying them anymore, and had a closeout special on
them. Fantastic machine, even when you don't consider the good deal I got.

-John in NH
RonB

Can't speak to the Grizzly 6" but my son-in-law has a G0500 and it is a good
machine. Did well in a recent FWW review too.

Back to 6" machines, I have owned a Powermatic 54A for over a year and could
not be happier. Costs a little more buy I'll never have to buy another.

RonB

My own, humble opinion is that you can just about flip a coin.
Grizzly's gotten a lot better in the last several years and Sunhill's
always had a good rep. In fact, I was in the same boat as you some
months ago except I'd decided to go with an 8-inch model.

Returning that thing is going to be a class A pain, no matter who you
buy from. That's why lots of folks go local. In my experience, the odds
that either Sunhill or Griz will send you a lemon are about the same:
really really small.

If price isn't your biggest concern, try to find out what the
differences are between the two models you like. There's bound to be
SOME, however small. Then choose the one with the features you like
best.

I've got the Grizz G0586. Love it. Fit 'n finish is great, parts were
all there, adjustments and calibration were easy. Does a nice job
flattening wood. Thing is, I'm pretty sure I'd feel the same way about
the comparable Sunhill model. :-)

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Dr. Deb" wrote in message
I am being seriously tempted to replace my HF 4" jointer (good little
jointer, but like all HF jointers, lousy fence) with a 6" and am looking
at
both the Grizzly (great price) and the Sunhill. Does anyone have any
input
on which would be the better choice?

Thanks

Deb

I've got the Sunhill 6" (it's actually got a nameplate of GeeTech I think).
It's worked very well for me and I'm still quite happy with it.
Everything was pretty well setup out of the crate and I've had no problems
with it. Well, I've had one problem. I find that enough times to be
frustrating, I need an extra inch or so of bed (width wise). I'm currently
looking at the Grizzly G0586 and trying to justify just how I'm gonna buy
this thing (I'd be selling the Sunhill....you wouldn't happen to be near NM
would you?). All in all, I've been happy with the Sunhill but that being
said, I've also been happy with my Grizzly Bandsaw and Cabinet saw as well.
Good luck.
Cheers,
cc

Tom Banes

I got a Ridgid 6" at one of my area orange borgs for $310. I guess they
aren't going to be carrying them anymore, and had a closeout special on
them. Fantastic machine, even when you don't consider the good deal I got.

-John in NH

I got one of the close outs too. Same price. Could have gotten the
floor model for another $50 off, but the warranty requires you send in
the UPC patch from the box and naturally, no box. Such is life.

Tom