DIY Sawdust pelletising presses

Old November 6th 05, 02:36 PM
Andy Dingley

Default DIY Sawdust pelletising presses

Anyone have experience of bulk sawdust disposal? I'm looking into the
possibility of a pelletising press as a way of turning useless sawdust
into a storable and possibly saleable pellet fuel. However all the
pellet presses I've seen have been huge and expensive, intended for use
by a pellet-making plant, rather than just intermittently disposing of
waste from a small timberyard.

I also note that meat-packing screw presses are cheap and commonplace
S/H, but sawdust pellet presses are anything but. Anyone heard of a DIY
conversion process ? I'm expecting that hard-facing the screws would be
needed, but a little engineering work is no problem.

Old November 6th 05, 03:16 PM
Sam

I don't know what a pellet press looks like but maybe you can rig
something up with a hydraulic jack and some pipe. Sam

Old November 6th 05, 07:24 PM
nospambob

DAGS for subject on alt.home.repair NG.

Old November 7th 05, 12:18 AM
Robatoy

In article ,
Andy Dingley wrote:

Anyone have experience of bulk sawdust disposal? I'm looking into the
possibility of a pelletising press as a way of turning useless sawdust
into a storable and possibly saleable pellet fuel. However all the
pellet presses I've seen have been huge and expensive, intended for use
by a pellet-making plant, rather than just intermittently disposing of
waste from a small timberyard.

I also note that meat-packing screw presses are cheap and commonplace
S/H, but sawdust pellet presses are anything but. Anyone heard of a DIY
conversion process ? I'm expecting that hard-facing the screws would be
needed, but a little engineering work is no problem.

I found that pressed sawdust logs are invariably mixed with some sort of
binder. I'm trying to understand if it is even possible to get sawdust
to stay together after a shape has been made from it...pellet, log,
whatever.
If one is going to have mix it with a binder, is a lot of pressure even
needed or can it be done passively in say, a muffin tin-like form?
Can some information be gleaned from the folks that make feed pellets?

Just mulling things over..

Is applying 'work' to the making of a pellet of sawdust in the hope of
it yielding energy when burned going to give you a positive yield?
Old November 7th 05, 12:50 AM
BB

"Robatoy" wrote in message
Andy Dingley wrote:

SNIP

I found that pressed sawdust logs are invariably mixed with some sort of
binder. I'm trying to understand if it is even possible to get sawdust
to stay together after a shape has been made from it...pellet, log,
whatever.
If one is going to have mix it with a binder, is a lot of pressure even
needed or can it be done passively in say, a muffin tin-like form?
Can some information be gleaned from the folks that make feed pellets?

I believe that no binder is used in "presto-logs" - many years ago(when I
was in elementary school) I visited the Weyerhaeuser factory where they
made them - at the time they said that no binder was used only about a
teaspoon of oil to lubricate the log so it would be pushed out of the mold -
did use thousands of pounds of pressure to form them however. . .

BB

Old November 7th 05, 02:41 AM
[email protected]

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 19:18:03 -0500, Robatoy

Andy Dingley wrote:

[...]

I think I'd start with parraffin wax.

If one is going to have mix it with a binder, is a lot of pressure even
needed or can it be done passively in say, a muffin tin-like form?
Can some information be gleaned from the folks that make feed pellets?

feed pelletization might involve some accessible technology.
definitely worth a look.

Just mulling things over..

Is applying 'work' to the making of a pellet of sawdust in the hope of
it yielding energy when burned going to give you a positive yield?

probably. there's quite a bit of energy in the sawdust, and when you
consider that this processing is saving you the work of otherwise
disposing of the stuff, you're coming out ahead- as long as the
pelletization process isn't terribly inefficient. making them one at a
time in a hydraulic press would probably count as being terribly
inefficient
Old November 7th 05, 05:35 AM
NorthIdahoWWer

This subject was posted here last week. I had replyed that while in Germany
this summer, I toured a woodshop in which the sawdust was sent downstairs
via a central dust collector. There, it was compressed into biscuits the
size of a breakfast biscuit... about 3" dia by 1 1/2 to 2" thick. No binder
was used, only the pressure that the machine used to make them. He had a
huge pile of these and shoveled them into a wood burning stove system which
then heated the whole shop. It was a fascinating shop. I'll get around to
posting the pics on a webpage one of these days. I even brought one of the
sawdust biscuits home with me.

Will

Old November 7th 05, 01:40 PM
Robatoy

Andy Dingley wrote:

[...]

I was thinking some kind of animal fat. I don't think you'd need a lot of it
either.

If one is going to have mix it with a binder, is a lot of pressure even
needed or can it be done passively in say, a muffin tin-like form?
Can some information be gleaned from the folks that make feed pellets?

feed pelletization might involve some accessible technology.
definitely worth a look.

Just mulling things over..

Is applying 'work' to the making of a pellet of sawdust in the hope of
it yielding energy when burned going to give you a positive yield?

probably. there's quite a bit of energy in the sawdust, and when you
consider that this processing is saving you the work of otherwise
disposing of the stuff, you're coming out ahead- as long as the
pelletization process isn't terribly inefficient. making them one at a
time in a hydraulic press would probably count as being terribly
inefficient

The size the of pellet would enter into this equation, eh?
Old November 7th 05, 01:41 PM
Robatoy

In article pxxbf.21456$ip6.12279@trnddc07, "BB" wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message
Andy Dingley wrote:

SNIP

I found that pressed sawdust logs are invariably mixed with some sort of
binder. I'm trying to understand if it is even possible to get sawdust
to stay together after a shape has been made from it...pellet, log,
whatever.
If one is going to have mix it with a binder, is a lot of pressure even
needed or can it be done passively in say, a muffin tin-like form?
Can some information be gleaned from the folks that make feed pellets?

I believe that no binder is used in "presto-logs" - many years ago(when I
was in elementary school) I visited the Weyerhaeuser factory where they
made them - at the time they said that no binder was used only about a
teaspoon of oil to lubricate the log so it would be pushed out of the mold -
did use thousands of pounds of pressure to form them however. . .

BB

No binder at all would be cool. I just assumed that something had to hold them
logs together...I will snoop around a bit more.
Old November 7th 05, 02:45 PM
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 08:40:13 -0500, Robatoy
wrote:

I was thinking some kind of animal fat. I don't think you'd need a lot of it
either.

I can't face the paperwork involved with animal fats! Tallow is no
longer usable as a heating fuel (even by meat processors) it's now
regarded as chemical waste.

I MADE SOME SAWDUST CLAY J T Woodworking 4 October 17th 05 01:36 AM
MORE SAWDUST CLAY J T Woodworking 3 October 2nd 05 01:03 AM
Sawdust inside carrying case of new PC 557? Dale Woodworking 29 December 24th 03 12:47 AM
Sawdust on Clothes Rick Dipper UK diy 10 September 24th 03 12:15 PM