Michael

Default Sears table saw help

I have a (113.298762) Sears table saw.

I would imagine the design is much the same as any.

My question is....

I'm having constant problems with the alignment on the 2 pulleys for the
drive belt.

One pulley is on the motor and the other on the saw blade shaft and they
always move out of place after a while and cause the saw to make alot of
racket.

When they are in line....the saw is very quiet.

First of all......(don't laugh)......are those keys supposed to be in the
slots on each shaft?.....because I know that's what ends up moving around,
the key.

These keys are angled and I don't get the design because they are bound to
slip no matter how hard I tighten.

Can anyone put me in the right direction with this or have a fix?

I bought a couple of 5/8" shaft collars and thought I may be able to do a
something with them.

Thanks.

Duane Bozarth

Michael wrote:

I have a (113.298762) Sears table saw.

I would imagine the design is much the same as any.

My question is....

I'm having constant problems with the alignment on the 2 pulleys for the
drive belt.

One pulley is on the motor and the other on the saw blade shaft and they
always move out of place after a while and cause the saw to make alot of
racket.

When they are in line....the saw is very quiet.

First of all......(don't laugh)......are those keys supposed to be in the
slots on each shaft?.....because I know that's what ends up moving around,
the key.

These keys are angled and I don't get the design because they are bound to
slip no matter how hard I tighten.

Don't understand -- angled where? The keys are square stock.

Can anyone put me in the right direction with this or have a fix?

Probably the problem is they are cheap cast pulleys that are both not
quite balanced and have bores that are larger than necessary and
probably also not quite round. Consequently, they don't fit well as
they should and vibration gradually loosens them. They then run loose
for a while and that causes more wear which exacerbates the problem and
so it goes...

If they are, in fact, a set of these cast pulleys, finding a replacement
set of machined ones will probably fix the problem permanently.
Jim

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Michael wrote:

[...]

And, a place that works on electric motors is apt to have just what you
need. All keys I have ever seen are square, and, yes, you definitely need
them.
Jim

Greg G.

Michael said:

I have a (113.298762) Sears table saw.

First of all......(don't laugh)......are those keys supposed to be in the
slots on each shaft?.....because I know that's what ends up moving around,
the key.

This may be a pointless question, but isn't there a grub screw that is
supposed to hold the pulley in position. Most have one. It's a small
hex head allen screw. There should be a hole in the side of the
pulley hub. Tighten it, but don't strip it out.

These keys are angled and I don't get the design because they are bound to
slip no matter how hard I tighten.

Never seen an angled one - they are usually square stock, and you
definitely need it. That is what prevents the pulley from spinning on
the shaft. There are tremendous rotational forces going on there...
They *might* have used a woodruff key, but I've never seen one on a
table saw.

Can anyone put me in the right direction with this or have a fix?

Hopefully, I just did. :-)

I bought a couple of 5/8" shaft collars and thought I may be able to do a
something with them.

I'd try to fix the problem with the original design if possible...
Then try modification - there may be unseen caveats.

Greg G.
John

Greg G. wrote:
Michael said:

[...]

Perhaps also a little Loctite to help prevent the screw from loosening