Rob V

Default Piston Hinge??

Im in the process of making a window seat for a client. She wants the top
to open for storage underneith. She said that she had one in her old house
where she could open it - it would say in place - then all she would have to
do is close it abit - and it would slowly close by itself the rest of the
way.
I looked in the local borg but they had just standard toybox hinges where
they would stay up and you have to close them.
She didnt know what kind they were - but by what she is saying they almost
sound like some type of piston hinge. I searched around a bit and done
really see anything like that.
Can someone help me out? Has anyone seen a type of hinge that works like
that?

Thanks
-Rob

--
Thanks,
Rob

You can reply to me at
r_b_v at v_e_r_z_e_r_a doht c_o_m
(remove the _ to get the address)

John T

Sounds like a gas strut. You can find those in autos for holding up
hatchback doors, pickup truck topper windows, etc. Not the hinge itself
though.

John

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 14:26:57 GMT, "Rob V" wrote:

Im in the process of making a window seat for a client. She wants the top
to open for storage underneith.

Get a Lee Valley catalogue and use their toybox lid stay. It's the best
one I've seen. A viscous damper, AFAIR.

Gas struts are a bad idea. They avoid slamming shut on fingers, but they
also stiffen up at the bottom of the stroke and they may need a catch to
hold them shut.
Lawrence Wasserman

I don't recall seeing a hinge with this feature designed in, but
perhaps you could use a automotive hatchback or hood strut.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

nospambob

The device I got from www.wwhardware.com allows the blanket chest lid
to float down as it closes. Sorry I don't know the part number but
they had an array with different parameters to select from. Sure
happy with whatever I bought.