Piston Hinge??

Old October 19th 05, 04:26 PM
Rob V

Default Piston Hinge??

Im in the process of making a window seat for a client. She wants the top
to open for storage underneith. She said that she had one in her old house
where she could open it - it would say in place - then all she would have to
do is close it abit - and it would slowly close by itself the rest of the
way.
I looked in the local borg but they had just standard toybox hinges where
they would stay up and you have to close them.
She didnt know what kind they were - but by what she is saying they almost
sound like some type of piston hinge. I searched around a bit and done
really see anything like that.
Can someone help me out? Has anyone seen a type of hinge that works like
that?

Thanks
-Rob

--
Thanks,
Rob

You can reply to me at
r_b_v at v_e_r_z_e_r_a doht c_o_m
(remove the _ to get the address)

Old October 19th 05, 05:20 PM
John T

Sounds like a gas strut. You can find those in autos for holding up
hatchback doors, pickup truck topper windows, etc. Not the hinge itself
though.

John

Old October 19th 05, 05:59 PM
Andy Dingley

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 14:26:57 GMT, "Rob V" wrote:

Im in the process of making a window seat for a client. She wants the top
to open for storage underneith.

Get a Lee Valley catalogue and use their toybox lid stay. It's the best
one I've seen. A viscous damper, AFAIR.

Gas struts are a bad idea. They avoid slamming shut on fingers, but they
also stiffen up at the bottom of the stroke and they may need a catch to
hold them shut.
Old October 19th 05, 06:24 PM
Lawrence Wasserman

I don't recall seeing a hinge with this feature designed in, but
perhaps you could use a automotive hatchback or hood strut.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Old October 19th 05, 10:15 PM
nospambob

The device I got from www.wwhardware.com allows the blanket chest lid
to float down as it closes. Sorry I don't know the part number but
they had an array with different parameters to select from. Sure
happy with whatever I bought.