James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Default Rolling Pin Ball Bearings.....

Sorry folks for the simpleness of this question! I'm thinking of making
around 20 or so rolling pins as Christmas presents. I was planning to use
a steel rod through the center which rides in a circular bearing at the end
of the pin and the handles would attach to the rod ends. Trouble is, I'm
really not sure where to find such bearings. I was thinking of using steel
bearings but water would rust them so perhaps nylon? Does anyone have a
recommendation as to where I can get these?
Cheers,
cc

George E. Cawthon

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
Sorry folks for the simpleness of this question! I'm thinking of making
around 20 or so rolling pins as Christmas presents. I was planning to use
a steel rod through the center which rides in a circular bearing at the end
of the pin and the handles would attach to the rod ends. Trouble is, I'm
really not sure where to find such bearings. I was thinking of using steel
bearings but water would rust them so perhaps nylon? Does anyone have a
recommendation as to where I can get these?
Cheers,
cc

Sounds like you are getting too complicated. Why
have a bearing at all? Many rollers are solid
non-turning handles which just roll in the hand;
others just use a wood or marble roller and wood
thru the center.
A steel rod through the center doesn't sound like
a good idea, nor does a ball bearing. Better
would be a brass rod and much better would be
wood. If you must have a bearing, use nylon.

I'm no rolling pin expert, but simpler has to be
better and I would stick to all wood depending on
what it was used for. I believe marble is
considered essential for some operations.
George

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
Sorry folks for the simpleness of this question! I'm thinking of making
around 20 or so rolling pins as Christmas presents.

Sounds like you are getting too complicated.

A steel rod through the center doesn't sound like a good idea, nor does a
ball bearing. Better would be a brass rod and much better would be wood.
If you must have a bearing, use nylon.

I'm no rolling pin expert, but simpler has to be better and I would stick
to all wood depending on what it was used for. I believe marble is
considered essential for some operations.

Marble, well-cooled, is what you want for rolling pastry dough, so I'm told.
Makes it flaky.

I would go wood on wood, given the minimum load. Matter of fact, I do on
the ones I make. I capture the handle, bored lengthwise (counterbored to
avoid pinch) on a glued-to-the-body wooden pin. If you wanted to go
jazzier, I suppose something like a stainless lag would do the job, or
perhaps a coarse threaded stainless carriage bolt.

Brass and the extractives in darker woods might make for green pie crust.

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
Sounds like you are getting too complicated. Why have a bearing at all?
Many rollers are solid non-turning handles which just roll in the hand;
others just use a wood or marble roller and wood thru the center.
A steel rod through the center doesn't sound like a good idea, nor does a
ball bearing. Better would be a brass rod and much better would be wood.
If you must have a bearing, use nylon.

I'm no rolling pin expert, but simpler has to be better and I would stick
to all wood depending on what it was used for. I believe marble is
considered essential for some operations.

Most of the high end pins these days have bearings in them.
Case in point: http://www.creativecookware.com/rolling_pins.htm

That being said, I'm certainly not averse to making them without the
bearings. And because they are "high end" certainly doesn't mean they are
better!!!! I'm just not sure I have the time to make the pins, make the
handles, AND make the "keepers" so to speak (rivet looking pin to hold the
handle on) all before Christmas. I may have to get started now!
Cheers,
cc

no(SPAM)vasys

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:

Most of the high end pins these days have bearings in them.
Case in point: http://www.creativecookware.com/rolling_pins.htm

$30 for a 2" x 20" piece of dowel?? I'm gonna have to fire up the lathe.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)

Most of the high end pins these days have bearings in them.
Case in point: http://www.creativecookware.com/rolling_pins.htm

third one down on that page, but with the ends tapered a little and
rounded, looks like the one my grandfather made for my mother and that
she prefers over all others to this day.

she's an accomplished chef, was a professional for a number of years...

mac davis

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 22:17:06 -0600, "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson"
wrote:

Sorry folks for the simpleness of this question! I'm thinking of making
around 20 or so rolling pins as Christmas presents. I was planning to use
a steel rod through the center which rides in a circular bearing at the end
of the pin and the handles would attach to the rod ends. Trouble is, I'm
really not sure where to find such bearings. I was thinking of using steel
bearings but water would rust them so perhaps nylon? Does anyone have a
recommendation as to where I can get these?
Cheers,
cc

I think your plan for steel rod and bearings is a bit of overkill, but that's
what hobbies are about, right?

Would these yo-yo bearings work??
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/pkyoyo.html

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Chris Friesen

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
Sorry folks for the simpleness of this question! I'm thinking of making
around 20 or so rolling pins as Christmas presents. I was planning to use
a steel rod through the center which rides in a circular bearing at the end
of the pin and the handles would attach to the rod ends. Trouble is, I'm
really not sure where to find such bearings.

Go to a bearing supply house and buy sealed cartridge bearings. You can
get them in variety of interior/exterior diameters, as well as different
quality grades.

Note: you want "sealed", not "shielded". The latter is not as resistant
to water. Even with the sealed ones, you wouldn't want to leave them
soaking for long periods.

Chris
Rob V

Try inline skate bearings.

Go to any skateshop (or sporting goods store that sells/repairs them) the
will ususally give them away (the used ones that is) for free.
The work fine - I used them on a few shop tools I made for my latheand they
work great.

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
Sorry folks for the simpleness of this question! I'm thinking of making
around 20 or so rolling pins as Christmas presents. I was planning to
use a steel rod through the center which rides in a circular bearing at
the end of the pin and the handles would attach to the rod ends. Trouble
is, I'm really not sure where to find such bearings. I was thinking of
using steel bearings but water would rust them so perhaps nylon? Does
anyone have a recommendation as to where I can get these?
Cheers,
cc

For rolling pins, probably just a piece of nylon tube with an ID
approx the same as the od of the steel rod, I frankly would avoid
anything other than sealed bearings if you must use ball bearings, as
non-sealed will likely 'gunk up' quickly in actual kitchen use and be
a real pain to have to replace over and over again.

Another thought would be to let the HANDLES do the spinning, and use
nylon washers or some such

John

wrote:

Sorry folks for the simpleness of this question! I'm thinking of making
around 20 or so rolling pins as Christmas presents. I was planning to use
a steel rod through the center which rides in a circular bearing at the end
of the pin and the handles would attach to the rod ends. Trouble is, I'm
really not sure where to find such bearings. I was thinking of using steel
bearings but water would rust them so perhaps nylon? Does anyone have a
recommendation as to where I can get these?
Cheers,
cc

Phisherman

wrote:

Sorry folks for the simpleness of this question! I'm thinking of making
around 20 or so rolling pins as Christmas presents. I was planning to use
a steel rod through the center which rides in a circular bearing at the end
of the pin and the handles would attach to the rod ends. Trouble is, I'm
really not sure where to find such bearings. I was thinking of using steel
bearings but water would rust them so perhaps nylon? Does anyone have a
recommendation as to where I can get these?
Cheers,
cc

Sorry I don't have a source suggestion. But, I have made several
rolling pins--all one solid piece. Moving parts creates nooks and
cranny's where flour/food can collect, become rancid, and difficult to
clean. Making it one piece eliminates drilling the perfectly-centered
long hole.
Steve knight

I like good bearings in a rolling pin it takes less effort to use it.
I would just countersink them in a 1" and they will not get anything
but flour on them. using sealed bearings would be fine.
Knight-Toolworks
http://www.knight-toolworks.com
affordable handmade wooden planes
George

"Australopithecus scobis" wrote in message
news

Mechanically, that would work great. I wonder, though, if it would affect
the cook's "feel" for the dough. Think "differential" and "ice." The
tapered no-handle version a previous poster mentioned would be a
limited-slip differential 4x4 in this strained metaphor.

That tapered pastry rolling pin is a bit lightweight for some jobs. It's
for delicate work, not perogi dough. That's where the heavy artillery comes
to bear.

我é?žå¸¸èµžæˆ?ä½*的看法,虽然我ä¸?知é?“æ€ Žä¹ˆå?šã€‚
Mike Marlow

"George" George@least wrote in message

"Australopithecus scobis" wrote in message
news

Mechanically, that would work great. I wonder, though, if it would

affect
the cook's "feel" for the dough. Think "differential" and "ice." The
tapered no-handle version a previous poster mentioned would be a
limited-slip differential 4x4 in this strained metaphor.

That tapered pastry rolling pin is a bit lightweight for some jobs. It's
for delicate work, not perogi dough. That's where the heavy artillery

comes
to bear.

And nothing but a water glass to cut the dough. No metal cookie cutter
things, etc.

--

-Mike-

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Steve knight" wrote in message
I like good bearings in a rolling pin it takes less effort to use it.
I would just countersink them in a 1" and they will not get anything
but flour on them. using sealed bearings would be fine.
Knight-Toolworks
http://www.knight-toolworks.com
affordable handmade wooden planes

Thanks Steve. Any ideas where I might find these sealed bearings?
Cheers,
cc

Steve knight

Thanks Steve. Any ideas where I might find these sealed bearings?
Cheers,
cc

you can get them locally at any bearing shop. they are petty cheap.
www.mscdirect.com or mcmaster will have them. you just need to know
the inside and outside size you need. width in your case is not
critical.
they may cost you 4.00 each.