Schroeder

Default Black Walnut Grafted to English Walnut Question...

Hopefully someone can help me with this question....

West coast - I have a walnut orchard (abandoned for last 10 years) with 100
or so black walnut trees. As I understand the root stock planted some 80
years ago was BW and then an English walnut grafted on to that to produce
the orchard. Over the years, the trees appear to have reverted to all Black
Walnut. At least that's what they look like, bark, leaves etc...with an
occasional limb that is clearly English Walnut.

So I don't want to mill until I have more info on what I'll get ...Does
anyone have experience with this sort? Anyone know what kind of lumber to
expect from this sort of tree?

(sounds weird I know - but that's what I gots!)

thanks! - Schroeder

Toller

It it were properly maintained, the wood is whatever the graft was. But
they will frequently send up suckers, and the suckers will be the root
stock. The suckers should have been cut down, but if they weren't, they
could have taken over.

So, the answer is, who knows.

mike hide

wrote in message
oups.com...
Post also to rec.gardens

Toller wrote:
It it were properly maintained, the wood is whatever the graft was. But
they will frequently send up suckers, and the suckers will be the root
stock. The suckers should have been cut down, but if they weren't, they
could have taken over.

So, the answer is, who knows.

Why not get in touch with your local forestry agent or at least the county
extension service ....

Schroeder wrote:
Hopefully someone can help me with this question....

West coast - I have a walnut orchard (abandoned for last 10 years) with 100
or so black walnut trees. As I understand the root stock planted some 80
years ago was BW and then an English walnut grafted on to that to produce
the orchard. Over the years, the trees appear to have reverted to all Black
Walnut. At least that's what they look like, bark, leaves etc...with an
occasional limb that is clearly English Walnut.

So I don't want to mill until I have more info on what I'll get ...Does
anyone have experience with this sort? Anyone know what kind of lumber to
expect from this sort of tree?

(sounds weird I know - but that's what I gots!)

I think you have what is called Claro Walnut.
DAGS on 'Claro Walnut'.

The trees are biological chimera, organisms with cells from
different species -- e.g. 'Frankentrees'.

--

FF

Oh, and I forgot to add,
you suck!

--

FF

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 06:08:05 -0700, "Schroeder" f@f wrote:

Hopefully someone can help me with this question....

West coast - I have a walnut orchard (abandoned for last 10 years) with 100
or so black walnut trees. As I understand the root stock planted some 80
years ago was BW and then an English walnut grafted on to that to produce
the orchard. Over the years, the trees appear to have reverted to all Black
Walnut. At least that's what they look like, bark, leaves etc...with an
occasional limb that is clearly English Walnut.

So I don't want to mill until I have more info on what I'll get ...Does
anyone have experience with this sort? Anyone know what kind of lumber to
expect from this sort of tree?

(sounds weird I know - but that's what I gots!)

thanks! - Schroeder

you may find that the greatest value is in the root balls. expect the
black walnut rooy balls to be wildly figured and huge.
Swingman

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

you may find that the greatest value is in the root balls.

Strictly it's the root crown (above the root ball itself). The height
for felling a walnut is higher than for a typical tree, just so you
don't put the chainsaw through the very best part of it. You can lose a
_lot_ of the value of a good quality walnut by having it felled by
someone who isn't familiar with felling walnuts.

With an orchard that old, he may be able to retire and cut just one or two a
year to feed the shop habit.

That can't be stressed enough to someone who owns an orchard and is not
familiar with the economics of figured walnut. I've seen one in the back of
a pickup truck going for $3K, and it was small.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/17/05

Fly-by-Night CC

In article , "Schroeder" f@f
wrote:

(sounds weird I know - but that's what I gots!)

I don't believe it's all that weird. I know a fellow here in Oregon who
has a few walnuts left over from an orchard with trees configured just
as yours a American Black Walnut rootstock with English Walnut tops.
Only thing is that the tops show a combination of both - most branches
appear to leaf out as Black Walnut while a few appear to be English. His
trees are about 80-100 years old. I've seen them myself so know it's a
true phenomenon.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05