Bill

Default Replacing Ryobi Drum Sander Paper ?

Is there anybody out there who has figured out how to do this? A magic tool?

Just wasted over an hour trying. Used all my regular words to!

--

Bill

B Man

I've got a Ryobi drum sander and have replaced the paper many times. Each
time, I probably went through the same seriese of words you just used.

The clips that hold the paper have to be the cheapest hunks of crap every
created by mankind. Whoever designed those clips should burn in tool Hell
for eternity - forced to wrap sandpaper onto that drum over and over again
while Satan takes a heat gun to his testicles.

I found that if you take the tip of one end of the paper, and wrap it a
couple times with duct tape, it lets the teeth of the clips grap the
sandpaper a bit better.

Hope this helps you out a little.

Brian

"Bill" wrote in message
Is there anybody out there who has figured out how to do this? A magic
tool?

Just wasted over an hour trying. Used all my regular words to!

--

Bill

Bill

Brian,

How do you get the paper into the right end clip?

I have resorted to a mirror to see what is going on.

--

Bill

"Bill" wrote in message
Is there anybody out there who has figured out how to do this? A magic
tool?

Just wasted over an hour trying. Used all my regular words to!

--

Bill

Charles Bull

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 23:27:54 -0400, "Bill" wrote:

Brian,

How do you get the paper into the right end clip?

I have resorted to a mirror to see what is going on.

I have a generic Ryobi, spend more than a week figuring how to replaced the
sanding roll. I finally removed the drum and visually inspected the mechanism.

This is how you do it..

1) With two hands, left hand rotates the drum either direction till the capscrew
plunger is about 2" from the slot and depresses the capscrew plunger inward with
right hand.
2) With the plunger still in depress position, rotate the drum clockwise with
your left hand. Until the clamp (inside the drum) open and lineup with the slot
outside the drum. Remove your right hand from capscrew plunger (the plunger is
spring loaded, the resistance and treaded capscrew will hold the clamp open),
while holding the drum, use your right hand to insert the end on the sanding
roll into the slot and clamp. Slowly release the drum (counter clockwise, clamp
under spring pressure) while holding the sanding roll tightly to the drum and
into the slot. You will have to do it a few times to ensure the sanding roll is
inserted and tightly wound onto the drum.

I would first try the above method without the sanding roll to ensure the clamp
are open. It's tricky, I make a few mistakes thinking I have inserted the end
of the sanding roll into the clamp. I would not advice you take the drum out
to visually inspect the mechanism, you will need to spend hours aligning the
various mechanisms after that.

Once know how to insert the end of the sanding roll into the slot and clamp
correctly, it takes no more than two minutes or so and a piece of cake after
that.

Toller

"B Man" wrote in message
I've got a Ryobi drum sander and have replaced the paper many times. Each
time, I probably went through the same seriese of words you just used.

A couple months ago I asked if the Ryobi was worth buying. You coulda
warned me!

(price on Ebay went up to $300 and it seemed overpriced, so I didn't get
it...)

PROBLEM WITH DRUM SANDER [email protected] Woodworking 3 July 12th 05 05:41 AM
PSA Sand Paper Leon Woodworking 18 May 29th 05 04:48 PM
Electrical Question Drum Sander AC/DC. WD Woodworking 7 January 2nd 05 07:12 PM
Delta Drum Sander Mike G Woodworking 3 January 1st 05 11:55 AM
General Int'l 25" double drum sander #15-250 -- opinions? Abe Woodworking 11 October 26th 03 04:54 PM