Norm Dresner

Default Trying to restore my parents' desk but I don't even know what to call the part I need

It's a real wooden desk, probably bought new around 1938-1942, feels and
looks like it's mahogany. Around the curved back and sides of the desk runs
a 1/32" thick, 3/4" wide strip of brass trim that has ~1/2" dia elliptical
holes about 3/4" O.C. along the entire length of the trim which is about
5-1/2' long.

We just righted the desk [I had been regluing a broken leg] and discovered
that the repeating hole pattern is an elliptical hole (long axis vertical)
and two smaller, sort-of triangular holes adjacent to it just next to the
edge.

I've looked in some modern woodworking catalogs I have and found nothing
even close. I just tried two "antique restoration" sites on the web, but
it's not really an antique in the sense these people mean the word and
there's nothing (obvious) either.

First question: What is this brass trim called?

Second question: Where could I get replacement? It doesn't have to be
exactly the same since I'm planning on refinishing the desk and replacing
the entire piece of trim, but I'd at least like to have it look similar.

TIA
Norm

dadiOH

Norm Dresner wrote:
It's a real wooden desk, probably bought new around 1938-1942, feels
and looks like it's mahogany. Around the curved back and sides of
the desk runs a 1/32" thick, 3/4" wide strip of brass trim that has
~1/2" dia elliptical holes about 3/4" O.C. along the entire length of
the trim which is about 5-1/2' long.

We just righted the desk [I had been regluing a broken leg] and
discovered that the repeating hole pattern is an elliptical hole
(long axis vertical) and two smaller, sort-of triangular holes
adjacent to it just next to the edge.

I've looked in some modern woodworking catalogs I have and found
nothing even close. I just tried two "antique restoration" sites on
the web, but it's not really an antique in the sense these people
mean the word and there's nothing (obvious) either.

First question: What is this brass trim called?

Pierced brass trim?

Second question: Where could I get replacement?

India

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

foggytown

The Yellow Pages should yield the name of some metalworking shops who
could duplicate this piece for you in any metal you like. Probably
wouldn't cost that much either.

FoggyTown

Norm Dresner wrote:

First question: What is this brass trim called?

Usually "fret"

Second question: Where could I get replacement?

Relics in Witney, if you're in the UK. If you need an exact match, talk
to somewhere that does CAD-to-metal processing by either waterjet,
laser or chemical etch (etch was cheapest, last time I looked)

(Etched brass and polyester resin makes damned cheap fake Boulle work
for minimal effort)

Chantecler Windows and Doors Brian White Home Repair 3 June 6th 16 11:22 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
30 Hours Of Calls to UK, Western Europe & North America for just £15.99 a month David @chaplehouse.demon.co.uk UK diy 5 April 29th 04 11:18 PM
What do you call this part? Bob Itnyre Metalworking 7 August 21st 03 12:27 AM