Foodsafe glue for cutting board

Old September 25th 05, 07:10 AM
Big Rob

Default Foodsafe glue for cutting board

Any thoughts on glues to use or not use on a cutting board? Seems like
the water soluable glues will break down over time and end up in your
food.

Old September 25th 05, 07:25 AM
Edwin Pawlowski

"Big Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Any thoughts on glues to use or not use on a cutting board? Seems like
the water soluable glues will break down over time and end up in your
food.

Any of the better waterproof glues are just fine. Titebond II or II will
work.

Old September 25th 05, 01:31 PM
George

"Big Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Any thoughts on glues to use or not use on a cutting board? Seems like
the water soluable glues will break down over time and end up in your
food.

No problem, they're indigestible plastic.

Old September 25th 05, 06:38 PM
stoutman

You people crack me up sometimes. If you are afraid of ingesting glue from
your cutting board than don't chew any gum.

Your wood glue (white and yellow) is made from PVA (Polyvinyl acetate). PVA
is a synthetic polymer that is used as an ingredient in chewing gum.

oups.com...

Old September 26th 05, 07:04 PM
SonomaProducts.com

The titebond website specifically endorses Titebond 2 a food safe for
cutting boards. If they are willing to put that in print In todays
litigious society I think that puts any concerns to rest.

From their website (I hope the copyright police are sleeping)

"Are Titebond Glues safe to use?
All of our Titebond wood glues are safe to use and produce no harmful
fumes. They meet the requirements of ASTM D4236 for safe use with arts
and crafts. Titebond III Ultimate wood Glue and Titebond II Premium
Wood Glue have both been approved for indirect food contact. For this
reason, it is the glue that we recommend for making cutting boards. We
do recommend wearing gloves when working with the Titebond Polyurethane
Glue because repeated use of the product with bare hands could lead to
a sensitivity to those types of products.

Old September 26th 05, 09:35 PM
George

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
oups.com...
The titebond website specifically endorses Titebond 2 a food safe for
cutting boards. If they are willing to put that in print In todays
litigious society I think that puts any concerns to rest.

From their website (I hope the copyright police are sleeping)

"Are Titebond Glues safe to use?
All of our Titebond wood glues are safe to use and produce no harmful
fumes. They meet the requirements of ASTM D4236 for safe use with arts
and crafts. Titebond III Ultimate wood Glue and Titebond II Premium
Wood Glue have both been approved for indirect food contact. For this
reason, it is the glue that we recommend for making cutting boards. We
do recommend wearing gloves when working with the Titebond Polyurethane
Glue because repeated use of the product with bare hands could lead to
a sensitivity to those types of products.

Meaningless, as far as one glue versus another. Check FDA 21,Sec 175.300 for
blanket approvals of any curing oil/resin/etc for indirect contact with
food.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/script...cfm?fr=175.300

Old September 26th 05, 11:32 PM
Michael Daly

On 26-Sep-2005, "George" George@least wrote:

Meaningless, as far as one glue versus another.

They provide a long list of substances that are deemed
safe. How does that make anything stated in the previous
post meaningless?

Mike
Old September 27th 05, 02:49 AM
Edwin Pawlowski

"George" George@least wrote in message

Meaningless, as far as one glue versus another. Check FDA 21,Sec 175.300
for blanket approvals of any curing oil/resin/etc for indirect contact
with food.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/script...cfm?fr=175.300

You actually read that?

Old September 27th 05, 12:17 PM
George

"Michael Daly" wrote in message

On 26-Sep-2005, "George" George@least wrote:

Meaningless, as far as one glue versus another.

They provide a long list of substances that are deemed
safe. How does that make anything stated in the previous
post meaningless?

I'll write slowly.

If all glues of a type are deemed safe, then saying one glue is safer than
another is meaningless.

Old September 27th 05, 05:34 PM
Michael Daly

On 27-Sep-2005, "George" George@least wrote:

I'll write slowly.

You don't have to write slowly, you just have to write clearly.

Mike