blueman

Default Luan plywood vs. 1/4" birch plywood.

I am trying to choose between Luan plywood vs. 1/4" birch plywood that
I plan to use as walls for a temporary structure.

Other than price, I am trying to understand pros/cons of each:

So is there any significant difference in:
- Strength/durability
- Stiffness
- Weatherability
- Weight
- Smoothness of the surface and lack of defects

If so what are they?

Note: I am assuming some type of "standard" grade for each material.
Stephen M

Other than price, I am trying to understand pros/cons of each:

So is there any significant difference in:
- Strength/durability
- Stiffness
- Weight

These three are largely a function of thickness. If you did not know
already, plywood is seldom actually the stated nominal thickness. IME garden
variety luan is pretty close to 3/16" these days. I don't know about the
birch. You will have to compare the thicknesses to get a real answer,
although I would give a small edge to birch.

- Weatherability

Both poor. The stuff is not made to be rained on. it will delaminate over
time.

- Smoothness of the surface and lack of defects

Luan will be nicer.

Note: I am assuming some type of "standard" grade for each material.

I'm not sure that there is a standard other than pricing pressures of the
market ensuring the lowest possible quality that the public will tollerate
being sold at the major retail outlets.

What's your application and how temporary is temporary?

-Steve

Leon

"blueman" wrote in message

So is there any significant difference in:
- Strength/durability

None that you would probably notice.

- Stiffness

No
- Weatherability

No
- Weight

No
- Smoothness of the surface and lack of defects

Birch will have a smoother sruface. Defects? Theat depends on the quality
of the wood you are buying, otherwise one typically does not have any more
defects than the other. The Luan is probably more like to splinter along
the edges.

BillyBob

"blueman" wrote in message

I am trying to choose between Luan plywood vs. 1/4" birch plywood that
I plan to use as walls for a temporary structure.

When you say birch, do you mean Baltic Birch? I'm looking at the Luan and
Baltic birch I bought. There is a huge difference in stiffness between the
two. I think of the luan as a cosmetic material and the BB as having some
structural strength. What do you mean by walls for a temporary structure?

Bob

Leon

"BillyBob" wrote in message
k.net...
When you say birch, do you mean Baltic Birch? I'm looking at the Luan and
Baltic birch I bought. There is a huge difference in stiffness between the
two. I think of the luan as a cosmetic material and the BB as having some
structural strength. What do you mean by walls for a temporary structure?

Bob

He is probably talking about a regular Birch veneer plywood similar to Luan.

Randal

blueman wrote:

I am trying to choose between Luan plywood vs. 1/4" birch plywood that
I plan to use as walls for a temporary structure.

Other than price, I am trying to understand pros/cons of each:

So is there any significant difference in:
- Strength/durability
- Stiffness
- Weatherability
- Weight
- Smoothness of the surface and lack of defects

If so what are they?

Note: I am assuming some type of "standard" grade for each material.

What are you making? A room divider?
BillyBob

"Leon" wrote in message

He is probably talking about a regular Birch veneer plywood similar to

Luan.

In that case, doesn't matter what type of wood is on the veneer.

Bob