Mike O.

Default muriatic acid on table saw

We were working on a job the other day and the masons were cleaning
the brick with muriatic acid. The guys doing the work were clever
enough to remove a very expensive front door but in doing so, the wind
blew in a fine mist of acid into the great room where a contractors
saw was set up. Now we have a nice collection of acid "freckles" on
the saw top.

The first thing we could think to do was to see how many finish nails
we could shoot at the masons. After much discussion with my partner
(it is his saw) we eventually decided against that.

Then, we tried cleaning the top with WD 40 and the wiped it down with
Top Coat. The next day the freckles were still growing. Does anyone
have any ideas on how we might neutralize the acid to at least stop
any further deterioration of the top?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

Mike O.
Frank Boettcher

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:32:17 -0500, Mike O. wrote:

[...]

I would give it a good scrubbing with a baking soda paste to try to
adjust the PH. Then follow up with 30 micron paper (that's 30 micron
not 30 grit) on a RO sander. Then wax or topcote.

Mike O. wrote:
We were working on a job the other day and the masons were cleaning
the brick with muriatic acid. The guys doing the work were clever
enough to remove a very expensive front door but in doing so, the wind
blew in a fine mist of acid into the great room where a contractors
saw was set up. Now we have a nice collection of acid "freckles" on
the saw top.

The first thing we could think to do was to see how many finish nails
we could shoot at the masons. After much discussion with my partner
(it is his saw) we eventually decided against that.

Then, we tried cleaning the top with WD 40 and the wiped it down with
Top Coat. The next day the freckles were still growing. Does anyone
have any ideas on how we might neutralize the acid to at least stop
any further deterioration of the top?

You didn't specify if the saw table was aluminum or ferrous metal
but ferrous metal should not be eaten away by hydrocloric acid
so I assume aluminum.

To neutralize an acid use a base. But don't leave any long-term
residue on the saw because aluminum reacts with both acids and
bases.

I suggest a mild base like baking soda, sprinkle it on, rub it
in, brush as much of it off as you can dry, then wash with a
damp rag.

Do not use sodium hydroxide, it reacts vigorously with aluminum.

--

FF

Mike in Arkansas

baking soda solution?

tom

Neutralize acids with bases, like baking soda. "Battle scars" may
result no matter what you do, but it'll still cut wood like always.
Good idea, not shooting. Them masons are tough. ! Tom

max

You might shoot nails, but they can mortar you with bricks!!!
max

[...]

the blood of a mason is supposed to work....
Dr. Fu Man Chu

You could go a little stronger than the baking soda by using ammonia.
If the spots don't go away, you could get gutsy and wet the whole table
down with an even coat of muriatic acid, let it etch its magic, and
then neutralize again.

It would probably be prudent to run this on a sacrificial piece of
metal first.

BobS

Ok!...That one made my day........;-)

Bob S.

wrote in message

the blood of a mason is supposed to work....

BillyBob

"Mike O." wrote in message

Then, we tried cleaning the top with WD 40 and the wiped it down with
Top Coat. The next day the freckles were still growing. Does anyone
have any ideas on how we might neutralize the acid to at least stop
any further deterioration of the top?

Rust Free is a cast iron cleaner product based on Hydro-fluoric acid (nasty
stuff!). Its sold by the same company that sells Boeshield T9 protectant.
They sell the two together as a cast iron cleaner and maintenance system.
Both are available at Woodcraft. I know that the Rust Free stuff does a
good job of cleaning. But if you don't followup with T9 pretty quick, your
table is guaranteed to rust overnight.

You might try some T9 or even clean the top with rust free and then followup
with T9.

Bob

Roger amd Missy Behnke

Muratic acid (which is diluted hydrochloric acid) will damage iron and
steel. In this case it also removed any protective coating that was on the
table and allowed rust to form and keep forming. Phosphoric acid can be use
to remove the rust if you don't want to use an abrasive method. Neutralize
with baking soda or a detergent. Rinse with water then coat with paste wax.

Roger

wrote in message
oups.com...

John Martin wrote:
wrote:

You didn't specify if the saw table was aluminum or ferrous metal
but ferrous metal should not be eaten away by hydrocloric acid
so I assume aluminum.

How sure are you about that, Fred?

Pretty sure. Muriatic (hydrocloric) acid can be used to clean
scale and mineral buildup in iron pipes. It should not eat
holes in iron overnight.

OP says the table top was cast iron. Perhaps the spots were
discolored, but not pitted?

--

FF

Roger amd Missy Behnke

Just checked my Rust Free label. Phosphoric acid is listed as the active
ingredient. Not so nasty. We use it in the janitorial industry to as an
alternative to hydrochloric acid for removing water deposits from steel,
chrome, tile, masonry etc. If it gets on your skin just rinse it off. No
need to even hurry.

"BillyBob" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Mike O." wrote in message

[...]

BillyBob

"Roger amd Missy Behnke" wrote in message
Just checked my Rust Free label. Phosphoric acid is listed as the active
ingredient. Not so nasty. We use it in the janitorial industry to as an
alternative to hydrochloric acid for removing water deposits from steel,
chrome, tile, masonry etc. If it gets on your skin just rinse it off.

No
need to even hurry.

I stand corrected. I had it confused with another rust removal product.
The other one is nasty! I don't think its sold any more.

Bob