Lionel

Default Refinishing knotty pine paneling

SWMBO is doing the painting as we continue to restore our house after
Hurricane Ivan. She has the following questions.

The breakfast room is paneled with knotty pine that has been painted long
before we bought the house, probably to lighten up the room. When the crown
molding was removed, the paint tore in strips down the paneling. How best
to sand this smooth so the edges of the tears don't show through the new
paint?

How best to remove old latex paint from the crown molding and the door and
window trim without damaging the detail?

We've been living in a FEMA trailer in the driveway since December, at a
son's house before that. Five months after the storm, the contractor hadn't
finished the estimate. I fired him and started hiring subs. The
electrician and plumber still have work to finish, and the drywall guy may
start this week. I was lucky to find a plumber who would even talk to me.

My shop had five feet of salt water in it, and it was two weeks before I
could get to the tools. The Jet cabinet saw was just a glob of rust under
the bright orange table. The new Unisaw looks much better.

I look at the vacant lots in this neighborhood where houses used to be, and
see pictures from Katrina's damage west of us, and I know how lucky we are.

Lionel
Pensacola, FL

Jim

"Lionel" wrote in message
SWMBO is doing the painting as we continue to restore our house after
Hurricane Ivan. She has the following questions.

The breakfast room is paneled with knotty pine that has been painted long
before we bought the house, probably to lighten up the room. When the
crown molding was removed, the paint tore in strips down the paneling.
How best to sand this smooth so the edges of the tears don't show through
the new paint?

My first thought is a belt sander. However, they are heavy and aggressive.
Perhaps a pad sander such as the Dewalt or PC would be better. You will
need to sand in at least two passes working from very coarse to quite fine.

How best to remove old latex paint from the crown molding and the door and
window trim without damaging the detail?

Carefully and cautiously applied paint stripper (you sometimes see people
applying these products on "This Old House"). If you take it down, you will
surely damage the molding.

We've been living in a FEMA trailer in the driveway since December, at a
son's house before that. Five months after the storm, the contractor
hadn't finished the estimate. I fired him and started hiring subs. The
electrician and plumber still have work to finish, and the drywall guy may
start this week. I was lucky to find a plumber who would even talk to me.

My shop had five feet of salt water in it, and it was two weeks before I
could get to the tools. The Jet cabinet saw was just a glob of rust under
the bright orange table. The new Unisaw looks much better.

I look at the vacant lots in this neighborhood where houses used to be,
and see pictures from Katrina's damage west of us, and I know how lucky we
are.

Lionel
Pensacola, FL

Yes, you certainly are. There are about 4000 people from New Orleans here
in Tarrant County, Tx, who arrived with nothing more than the clothes on
their backs...
Jim

nospambob

Maybe ask at www.refinishwizard.com forum also, some good schtuff
there.

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 10:00:40 -0500, "Lionel"
wrote:

[...]

Lionel

"nospambob" wrote in message
Maybe ask at www.refinishwizard.com forum also, some good schtuff
there.

Thanks. That should be a lot of help.

Lionel

Lionel

"Jim" wrote in message
. ..

Carefully and cautiously applied paint stripper (you sometimes see people
applying these products on "This Old House"). If you take it down, you
will surely damage the molding.

Thanks for the sanding info. We had to take down the crown molding to put
in the new ceiling, and the door and window trim had to come off so we could
take off the plaster and paneling and make access for the electrician to
totally replace the circa 1940 wiring. I think I got it off with very
little damage, not too much to repair.

Lionel

White pine vs. Yellow pine PVR Woodworking 13 April 24th 05 06:19 PM
Sheetrock verses Paneling Question. TURTLE Home Repair 30 February 21st 05 01:24 AM
staining Pine Mook Johnson Woodworking 5 February 14th 05 07:26 PM
Knotty Pine room The Tilton Family Home Repair 3 January 30th 05 05:36 AM
Best finish for T&G pine paneling? HerHusband Woodworking 5 February 16th 04 04:35 PM