Fred

Default Any good how to DVDs on woodworking?

Since my cable TV doesn't air Norm's woodworking shows for some time now, or
any other woodworking shows for that matter, I was wondering are there any
good detailed woodworking DVDs or something like the Modern Masters series
to give inspiration? I have an old VHS tape of the Time-Life "Shop Secrets
From Master Craftsmen" that was excellent (Jon Eakes on table saw jigs,
Frank Klausz on freehand dovetails, Mike Dunbar on sharpening and Joe Truini
on router jigs) but couldn't find any updated DVDs.

ROYNEU

The question is, Fred. How many would be willing to pay for a good
quality production DVD on woodworking subjects.

New Yankee Workshop is beginning to make DVD's available. But they will
be the standard plans and DVD for what is it now $25.00/$29.00. And,
that is a 1/2 show. If it where of any number of subjects and/or tools
could you imagine what the cost would be?

Roy

Gary A in KC

Marc Adams offers a pretty good series. I've seen 3 or 4 that I thought were
pretty good.
Go to http://www.marcadams.com/videos.html

Gary in KC

"Fred" wrote in message
Since my cable TV doesn't air Norm's woodworking shows for some time now,

or
any other woodworking shows for that matter, I was wondering are there any
good detailed woodworking DVDs or something like the Modern Masters series
to give inspiration? I have an old VHS tape of the Time-Life "Shop Secrets
From Master Craftsmen" that was excellent (Jon Eakes on table saw jigs,
Frank Klausz on freehand dovetails, Mike Dunbar on sharpening and Joe

Truini
on router jigs) but couldn't find any updated DVDs.

Pat Barber

Fine Woodworking has "many" titles on DVD...

http://www.taunton.com/store/pages/nmbh011.asp

and

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/l...KW=3X DVD&z=n

Fred wrote:

Since my cable TV doesn't air Norm's woodworking shows for some time now, or
any other woodworking shows for that matter, I was wondering are there any
good detailed woodworking DVDs or something like the Modern Masters series
to give inspiration? I have an old VHS tape of the Time-Life "Shop Secrets
From Master Craftsmen" that was excellent (Jon Eakes on table saw jigs,
Frank Klausz on freehand dovetails, Mike Dunbar on sharpening and Joe Truini
on router jigs) but couldn't find any updated DVDs.

Bill Leonhardt

"Fred" wrote in message
Since my cable TV doesn't air Norm's woodworking shows for some time now,
or any other woodworking shows for that matter, I was wondering are there
any good detailed woodworking DVDs or something like the Modern Masters
series to give inspiration? I have an old VHS tape of the Time-Life "Shop
Secrets From Master Craftsmen" that was excellent (Jon Eakes on table saw
jigs, Frank Klausz on freehand dovetails, Mike Dunbar on sharpening and
Joe Truini on router jigs) but couldn't find any updated DVDs.

After my last tantrum at Blockbuster, we joined Netflix. A quick look at
their website shows DVDs by Frank Klausz, Mark Duginske as well as Ask TOH.
I'm sure there are many more.

BTW, I've had Netflix since the end of July. Works great. They send me an
email when a DVD is on the way and another when they receive the return.
Fast turn-around time. I watch the movie and when it's over I put the DVD
in its prepaid return envelope, open the front door, put the envelope in the
mailbox and raise the little flag. So far, very smooth...

Bill Leonhardt

TomL

I have the complete Marc Adams set. Highly recommended.
Woodworking at Home DVD magazine. Recommended also.
Glen

I also liked the Marc Adasms series. A friend lent me his to watch. I
just bought a woodturning video by a Tauten with a guy named Raffy. It
was helpful to me since I am just beginning to use a lathe. I got the
set of Nora Hall woodcarving. It was enought to allow me to add some
carving on the furniture that I build, or imagine building. If nothing
else, it helped me get a good Sunday afternoon nap after watching about
ten minutes of each video.

Fred

"ROYNEU" wrote in message
oups.com...
The question is, Fred. How many would be willing to pay for a good
quality production DVD on woodworking subjects.

New Yankee Workshop is beginning to make DVD's available. But they will
be the standard plans and DVD for what is it now $25.00/$29.00. And,
that is a 1/2 show. If it where of any number of subjects and/or tools
could you imagine what the cost would be?

Roy

You could get complete season like Friends, Cheers, Sex and the City for
something like $30 at Amazon.com so why can't we get NYW for about the same
or even twice the amount? I watch to learn techniques and lust over the
power tools but not interested in any plans. $25.00/$29.00 per 1/2 show is
a bit much for me.

Fred

Wow thanks for all the input and the links to the DVDs. Some great stuff!

Larry Jaques

On 12 Sep 2005 19:45:15 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "Glen"
quickly quoth:

I also liked the Marc Adasms series. A friend lent me his to watch. I
just bought a woodturning video by a Tauten with a guy named Raffy. It
was helpful to me since I am just beginning to use a lathe. I got the
set of Nora Hall woodcarving. It was enought to allow me to add some
carving on the furniture that I build, or imagine building. If nothing
else, it helped me get a good Sunday afternoon nap after watching about
ten minutes of each video.

The wooden plane videos by venerable old (now deceased) Jim Kingshott
are classics. Very well done by a very good & knowledgeable teacher.

----
- Nice perfume. Must you marinate in it? -
http://diversify.com Web Applications

Upscale

"Fred" wrote in message
Since my cable TV doesn't air Norm's woodworking shows for some time now,

or
any other woodworking shows for that matter, I was wondering are there any
good detailed woodworking DVDs or something like the Modern Masters series
to give inspiration?

Here's two good DVDs on woodworking
http://www.dvd-movie-shop.org/search...ark%20Duginske