WillR

Default Shoe Rack -- A simple design - Golden Ratio

Shoe Shelf or Shoe rack (Take your pick)

SWMBO wanted a shelf to store shoes - so I made her one. It uses four=20
pieces of wood.

It's on this page.
http://woodwork.pmccl.com/Business/p...furniture.htm=

You should be able to deduce the approximate dimensions, but to give you =

a start, the width is 10.5 inches. Form that you should be able to work=20
out the rest of the dimensions, the placement and dimensions of the cut=20
outs, and the angles. Just alter the dimensions to match _your_ shoe=20
sizes and styles.

The cutouts at the top allow you to easily move it for cleaning floors.=20
The bottom cutouts allow you to cope with minor imperfections in the floo=
r.

So for those of you who wondered about some of the weird threads on=20
design ratios and proportions, you can see for yourself if you like the=20
results.

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw
Swingman

"WillR" wrote in message
Shoe Shelf or Shoe rack (Take your pick)

SWMBO wanted a shelf to store shoes - so I made her one. It uses four
pieces of wood.

Excellent work, _all_ of it! ... and your photography does it honors to
boot.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/05

Edwin Pawlowski

"WillR" wrote in message
.. .
Shoe Shelf or Shoe rack (Take your pick)

SWMBO wanted a shelf to store shoes - so I made her one. It uses four
pieces of wood.

It's on this page.
http://woodwork.pmccl.com/Business/p...furniture.html

Nice work. I'm impressed with the finish.

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 09:04:51 -0400, the blithe spirit WillR
clearly indicated:

Shoe Shelf or Shoe rack (Take your pick)

SWMBO wanted a shelf to store shoes - so I made her one. It uses four
pieces of wood.

It's on this page.
http://woodwork.pmccl.com/Business/p...furniture.html

Bogus link there, dude.

P.S: Thanks for the heads-up on CWW mag. I'm looking forward to
getting my copy.

--
Like they say, 99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
http://diversify.com Lawyer-free Website Development
Joe Gorman

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 09:04:51 -0400, the blithe spirit WillR
clearly indicated:

Shoe Shelf or Shoe rack (Take your pick)

SWMBO wanted a shelf to store shoes - so I made her one. It uses four
pieces of wood.

It's on this page.
http://woodwork.pmccl.com/Business/p...furniture.html

Bogus link there, dude.

P.S: Thanks for the heads-up on CWW mag. I'm looking forward to
getting my copy.

--
Like they say, 99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
http://diversify.com Lawyer-free Website Development

Refresh the page, you've been there too recently, too.
Joe

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 11:21:53 -0400, the blithe spirit Joe Gorman
clearly indicated:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 09:04:51 -0400, the blithe spirit WillR
clearly indicated:

Shoe Shelf or Shoe rack (Take your pick)

SWMBO wanted a shelf to store shoes - so I made her one. It uses four
pieces of wood.

It's on this page.
http://woodwork.pmccl.com/Business/p...furniture.html

Bogus link there, dude.

Refresh the page, you've been there too recently, too.

Fixed. I had inadvertently turned on RAW messages and got the
= line ending. The L in html had gone away, hence the error msg.
I turned off raw view and all is better now, though when I saw
"pickled oak" (his wife's idea, no doubt), "polycrilic" and
"pine/cherry stain", I cringed repeatedly. (Sorry, Will.)

--
Like they say, 99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
http://diversify.com Lawyer-free Website Development
WillR

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 11:21:53 -0400, the blithe spirit Joe Gorman
clearly indicated:
=20
=20
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 09:04:51 -0400, the blithe spirit WillR
clearly indicated:

Shoe Shelf or Shoe rack (Take your pick)

SWMBO wanted a shelf to store shoes - so I made her one. It uses four=

=20
pieces of wood.

It's on this page.
http://woodwork.pmccl.com/Business/p...uctsfurniture=

=2Ehtml

Bogus link there, dude.

=20
=20
Refresh the page, you've been there too recently, too.

=20
=20
Fixed. I had inadvertently turned on RAW messages and got the
=3D line ending. The L in html had gone away, hence the error msg.
I turned off raw view and all is better now, though when I saw
"pickled oak" (his wife's idea, no doubt), "polycrilic" and
"pine/cherry stain", I cringed repeatedly. (Sorry, Will.)
=20
--=20
Like they say, 99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
http://diversify.com Lawyer-free Website Development

Give me a break. lol I made the desk in more innocent times...

(She did find the matching stain by the way -- d**n $%#@@#$ helpful=20
salesman at the local home hardware. )

She puts her d**n coffee cups on the desk. Besides -- we had to match=20
the commercial crap. :-(

Next time I will just make the whole desk suite and forget matching the=20
commercial stuff. _Then_ I can make it of oak or walnut and put a real=20
man's finish on it. G

At least I didn't make the desk of cherry and then pickle it...

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 12:02:32 -0400, the blithe spirit WillR
clearly indicated:

I said:
I turned off raw view and all is better now, though when I saw
"pickled oak" (his wife's idea, no doubt), "polycrilic" and
"pine/cherry stain", I cringed repeatedly. (Sorry, Will.)

Give me a break. lol I made the desk in more innocent times...

Ditto my kitchen cabinet doors in Diamondthane, but I put it on
in very thin coats and kept it from looking plasticky. I put poly on
only 2 projects before deciding that it just wasn't the stuff which
should go on wood. Maybe we should date our project pics to let folks
know how young and foolish we were back then. snort

(She did find the matching stain by the way -- d**n $%#@@#$ helpful
salesman at the local home hardware. )

Did you track him down and let the air out of his tires at work,
perchance?

She puts her d**n coffee cups on the desk. Besides -- we had to match
the commercial crap. :-(

Wuss.

Next time I will just make the whole desk suite and forget matching the
commercial stuff. _Then_ I can make it of oak or walnut and put a real
man's finish on it. G

Such as Waterlox?

At least I didn't make the desk of cherry and then pickle it...

Instant Karma would have been severe with you if you had, señor Weel.

--
"Given the low level of competence among politicians,
every American should become a Libertarian."
-- Charley Reese, Alameda Times-Star (California), June 17, 2003
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net

Which dimensions are you talking about ... the height to depth? The
Golden Ratio is about 1.618, or about 8-to-5.

WillR wrote:

[...]

WillR

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:
Which dimensions are you talking about ... the height to depth? The=20
Golden Ratio is about 1.618, or about 8-to-5.

Or 5:8

There is a difference of one between the Golden Ratio and it's inverse=20
if I recall correctly -- or you can count tree branches if you like. :-)

You should be able to deduce all the dimensions from that number and the =

ratio... Have a bit of fun and look at it -- if you want to and have=20
the time.

It could give you some ideas for shelves, cabinets etc. :-)

I am just doing another simple project and should be able to post=20
pictures in the next day or so -- then you can look at that one too...

WillR wrote:
=20
Shoe Shelf or Shoe rack (Take your pick)

SWMBO wanted a shelf to store shoes - so I made her one. It uses four =

pieces of wood.

It's on this page.
http://woodwork.pmccl.com/Business/p...ctsfurniture.=

html=20

You should be able to deduce the approximate dimensions, but to give=20
you a start, the width is 10.5 inches. Form that you should be able to=

=20
work out the rest of the dimensions, the placement and dimensions of=20
the cut outs, and the angles. Just alter the dimensions to match=20
_your_ shoe sizes and styles.

The cutouts at the top allow you to easily move it for cleaning=20
floors. The bottom cutouts allow you to cope with minor imperfections =

in the floor.

So for those of you who wondered about some of the weird threads on=20
design ratios and proportions, you can see for yourself if you like=20
the results.

=20

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net

Yep. GR - 1 = 1/GR

From that, you can get GR = 1 + 1/(1 + 1/(1 + 1/(1 + 1/(1 + ...))))

There are an incredible number of relationships with the GR, both in
geometry and in nature itself. I think that the perspective ratio of
vision in one's eye even approximates the GR.

And who said math isn't exciting???

Jack

WillR wrote:

Shoe Shelf or Shoe rack (Take your pick)

SWMBO wanted a shelf to store shoes - so I made her one. It uses four
pieces of wood.

It's on this page.
http://woodwork.pmccl.com/Business/p...furniture.html

You should be able to deduce the approximate dimensions, but to give
you a start, the width is 10.5 inches. Form that you should be able
to work out the rest of the dimensions, the placement and dimensions
of the cut outs, and the angles. Just alter the dimensions to match
_your_ shoe sizes and styles.

The cutouts at the top allow you to easily move it for cleaning
floors. The bottom cutouts allow you to cope with minor imperfections
in the floor.

So for those of you who wondered about some of the weird threads on
design ratios and proportions, you can see for yourself if you like
the results.

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 03:32:45 GMT, the blithe spirit Lew Hodgett
clearly indicated:

Subject

My friend puts each of her 200+ pairs of shoes in a clear plastic box
complete with lid.

Boxes are then stored in a closet with a shelving system from the BORG.

Works great.

Can look thru the box to see the shoes.

Also lets me spend my time working on the boat which works for me.

Soooooo, how -is- Imelda, anyway? (You dog, you!)

-- Charley Reese, Alameda Times-Star (California), June 17, 2003
WillR

I have added a paper towel rack to the page. I cannot remember the=20
design ratio used. The oak is 3.5" wide -- so you can figure it out...=20
Not that there is a lot to work with on something so small.

Just refresh the page if you do look.

Four pieces of wood again...

Is four a magic number? (other than being the sum of two primes the=20
product of two primes and the sum of a second set of primes...)

For Larry J. ... Yes it is a polyurethane varnish I do it all for=20
you... :-)

WillR wrote:
Shoe Shelf or Shoe rack (Take your pick)
=20
SWMBO wanted a shelf to store shoes - so I made her one. It uses four=20
pieces of wood.
=20
It's on this page.
http://woodwork.pmccl.com/Business/p...tsfurniture.h=

tml
=20
You should be able to deduce the approximate dimensions, but to give yo=

u=20
[...]

Mark & Juanita

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 05:43:48 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 03:32:45 GMT, the blithe spirit Lew Hodgett
clearly indicated:

Subject

My friend puts each of her 200+ pairs of shoes in a clear plastic box
complete with lid.

Boxes are then stored in a closet with a shelving system from the BORG.

Works great.

Can look thru the box to see the shoes.

Also lets me spend my time working on the boat which works for me.

Soooooo, how -is- Imelda, anyway? (You dog, you!)

Pretty old I would imagine. [justaminute, quick google search, born 1929,
yep, kind of old]