Fred

Default What protective gloves for lacquer thinner?

My lacquer thinner ate through 10 pairs of nitrite gloves this morning
trying to do some cleanup work. I have some heavy duty chemical resistance
gloves but those are too bulky to do for any detail work so what kind of
thin protective gloves to use for lacquer thinner?

no(SPAM)vasys

Fred wrote:
My lacquer thinner ate through 10 pairs of nitrite gloves this morning
trying to do some cleanup work. I have some heavy duty chemical resistance
gloves but those are too bulky to do for any detail work so what kind of
thin protective gloves to use for lacquer thinner?

Nitrile gloves should not dissolve in lacquer. Are you sure they
weren't latex?

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
David

Fred wrote:

My lacquer thinner ate through 10 pairs of nitrite gloves this morning
trying to do some cleanup work. I have some heavy duty chemical resistance
gloves but those are too bulky to do for any detail work so what kind of
thin protective gloves to use for lacquer thinner?

are you SURE they are nitrile? that's what you are supposed to use,
Fred. maybe they are ultra cheap OR they aren't nitrile after all.

Dave
David

Fred wrote:

My lacquer thinner ate through 10 pairs of nitrite gloves this morning
trying to do some cleanup work. I have some heavy duty chemical resistance
gloves but those are too bulky to do for any detail work so what kind of
thin protective gloves to use for lacquer thinner?

most common gloves at Borgs are vinyl and latex. I get my nitrile's at
Kelly Moore.
Fred

"no(SPAM)vasys" wrote in message
Fred wrote:
My lacquer thinner ate through 10 pairs of nitrite gloves this morning
trying to do some cleanup work. I have some heavy duty chemical
resistance gloves but those are too bulky to do for any detail work so
what kind of thin protective gloves to use for lacquer thinner?

Nitrile gloves should not dissolve in lacquer. Are you sure they weren't
latex?

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)

I don't buy latex anymore just nitrile gloves - the blue and purple ones,
two different brands. I noticed it rip, not dissolve, at the thumb area a
lot faster with lacquer thinner.

no(SPAM)vasys

Fred wrote:

I don't buy latex anymore just nitrile gloves - the blue and purple ones,
two different brands. I noticed it rip, not dissolve, at the thumb area a
lot faster with lacquer thinner.

Nitrile gloves are recommended for lacquers?

See:

http://www.radford.edu/~fac-man/Safe.../appgloves.htm

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Fred

Fred wrote:

I don't buy latex anymore just nitrile gloves - the blue and purple ones,
two different brands. I noticed it rip, not dissolve, at the thumb area a
lot faster with lacquer thinner.

Nitrile gloves are recommended for lacquers?

See:

http://www.radford.edu/~fac-man/Safe.../appgloves.htm

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)

Thanks for the link. Great reference.

Fred

Thanks for all the comments. Its suppose to be nitrile gloves, its also
stated as such on the box, but the consenses indicated it should be
compatable with lacquer thinner, now I'm not so sure. It does last about 5x
longer than the latex gloves. Do those gloves have a shelf life? Its about 2
years old as I'm down the my last pair out of a box of 100?

George

"Fred" wrote in message
Thanks for all the comments. Its suppose to be nitrile gloves, its also
stated as such on the box, but the consenses indicated it should be
compatable with lacquer thinner, now I'm not so sure. It does last about
5x longer than the latex gloves. Do those gloves have a shelf life? Its
about 2 years old as I'm down the my last pair out of a box of 100?

Neat thing about it is the nitrile gloves are vulnerable to ketones.
Lacquer thinner has MEK, acetone and others in its several formulations.
Sort of a disconnect here.

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 19:59:47 -0700, the opaque "Fred"
clearly wrote:

Thanks for all the comments. Its suppose to be nitrile gloves, its also
stated as such on the box, but the consenses indicated it should be
compatable with lacquer thinner, now I'm not so sure. It does last about 5x
longer than the latex gloves. Do those gloves have a shelf life? Its about 2
years old as I'm down the my last pair out of a box of 100?

The only thing I've found that eats nitrile gloves is methylene
chloride paint stripper. I found that out the hard and painful way.
I doubled up and changed pairs often to finish the job, and will buy a
pair of neoprene gloves for the next stripping job.

CAUTION: Do NOT look directly into laser with remaining eyeball!
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design