Peter Wells

Default Craftsman radial arm saw table

I recently bought an old Craftsman Radial Arm ( 113.29440) saw that needs a
new table. Any advice regarding what material to use and dimensions for the
various pieces would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Peter

woodworker88

Our shop has one from who knows where and it has a particleboard table
and a plywood fence. I don't know about yours, but mine has weird type
of wing nut that allows you to use multiple pieces (mine has 3) and
pull them tight up against a metal bracket. I can get the dimensions
for you if you want.

Fred

"Peter Wells" wrote in message
.. .
I recently bought an old Craftsman Radial Arm ( 113.29440) saw that needs a
new table. Any advice regarding what material to use and dimensions for
the
various pieces would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Peter

Craftsmen had a recall a few years ago on one of the 10" RAS and will send
you a new table.

Tom

I have a Model 113.29441 that I purchase new around 1972.
The table is in three pieces made from1 1/2" particle board.
20x36, 5x36 and 2x36
They are made this way so you can move the fence back for wider cuts.
You use a 1x4 as the fence.
I have a manual in pdf format if you would like a copy.

I think the recall was on the blade guard not the table.
"Peter Wells" wrote in message
.. .
I recently bought an old Craftsman Radial Arm ( 113.29440) saw that needs a
new table. Any advice regarding what material to use and dimensions for
the
various pieces would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Peter

Steve Peterson

I looked at the recall website, with my model and serial numbers. My saw
qualifies, they will send a new top, they gave me the order number.
http://radialarmsawrecall.com/

Steve

Craftsmen had a recall a few years ago on one of the 10" RAS and will
send
you a new table.

Peter Wells

I called and unfortunately for my model they give $100 in exchange for the
guts of the saw. However they do cover shipping, maybe I can pickup a newer
model for the $100 on eBay.

"Steve Peterson" wrote in message
news
I looked at the recall website, with my model and serial numbers. My saw
qualifies, they will send a new top, they gave me the order number.
http://radialarmsawrecall.com/

Steve

Craftsmen had a recall a few years ago on one of the 10" RAS and will
send
you a new table.

Peter Wells

That sounds very similar to mine, the front, main piece of the table looks
as though it bolts to the metal stand, there are adjustments to make it
level, and there are two clamps at the back that press the other pieces
against it.

Others use particle board up to 1 1/2" thick and I've seen particle board
with a laminate.

It sounds as though the two pieces at the back can be reversed to move the
fence to its furthest back position for the largest cuts and to a position
where it sits in front of the blade. If that's the case I can probably
figure out what dimensions work. However I'd appreciate if you could send
me the dimensions from your saw.

Thank you,

Peter
"woodworker88" wrote in message
oups.com...
Our shop has one from who knows where and it has a particleboard table
and a plywood fence. I don't know about yours, but mine has weird type
of wing nut that allows you to use multiple pieces (mine has 3) and
pull them tight up against a metal bracket. I can get the dimensions
for you if you want.

alexy

"Steve Peterson" wrote:

I looked at the recall website, with my model and serial numbers. My saw
qualifies, they will send a new top, they gave me the order number.
http://radialarmsawrecall.com/

Steve

Craftsmen had a recall a few years ago on one of the 10" RAS and will
send
you a new table.

Huh?!?!

The only recall I am aware of is the one shown in the site referenced
above, which is for a new blade guard. I've never seen any recall for
a new table. Am I missing something? My table is pretty tattered. I
don't consider it a Sears problem, but if someone has gotten them to
give new tables to saw owners, I am not above accepting one.
Frank Campbell

In article , Peter Wells
wrote:

I recently bought an old Craftsman Radial Arm ( 113.29440) saw that needs a
new table. Any advice regarding what material to use and dimensions for the
various pieces would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Peter

I replaced mine a while ago, it wasn't exactly a stock set up but the
information for locating the position of table should still be valid.

http://benchnotes.com/Radial%20Arm%2...arm_table.html

Whether Craftsman will replace the guard and table depends on the age
of the saw, later models qualify, otherwise you get $100 to stop using
the saw.

Feel free to contact me through the link on Bench Notes if you have any
questions.

FrankC

--
http://benchnotes.com

John Girouard

The new guard will not fit somehow with the original tables, so they
are obligated to provide you with a new one (no new fence, though). The
new table pieces are made from 1" MDF I think.

-John

MarkS

With the new blade guard they send you a new table top.

Unquestionably Confused

on 8/19/2005 9:32 AM alexy said the following:

The only recall I am aware of is the one shown in the site referenced
above, which is for a new blade guard. I've never seen any recall for
a new table. Am I missing something? My table is pretty tattered. I
don't consider it a Sears problem, but if someone has gotten them to
give new tables to saw owners, I am not above accepting one.

Yeah, go back to the link posted earlier in this thread. I looked into
it a year or two ago when it surfaced again. It is model dependent.
For my saw and the last poster all they're willing to do is give you
$100 and pay shipping for you to send them the motor unit so they can
breathe easy that the saw is no longer out there waiting to kill
someone. (FWIW, I've used the saw - according to instructions and common
sense for going on 32 years with nary a close call)

Other models they will send you a new blade guard and anti-kickback
safeties and on at least one I recall that they also sent a new table.
Why? I dunno but they did. Check it out and see if yours qualifies.

alexy

"John Girouard" wrote:

The new guard will not fit somehow with the original tables, so they
are obligated to provide you with a new one (no new fence, though). The
new table pieces are made from 1" MDF I think.

-John

Interesting! That would be a reason to get the new blade guard, even
if you were happy with your old blade guard.

Peter Wells wrote:
That sounds very similar to mine, the front, main piece of the table looks
as though it bolts to the metal stand, there are adjustments to make it
level, and there are two clamps at the back that press the other pieces
against it.

Others use particle board up to 1 1/2" thick and I've seen particle board
with a laminate.

It sounds as though the two pieces at the back can be reversed to move the
fence to its furthest back position for the largest cuts and to a position
where it sits in front of the blade. If that's the case I can probably
figure out what dimensions work. However I'd appreciate if you could send
me the dimensions from your saw.

Thank you,

Peter

-snip-

That is correct. On my 1960's vintage saw, you adjust for 90 degrees by
nudging the table, which sets the position of the fence since it's
clamped against it. That means you need to pay attention to the
squareness of the replacement table, and be sure you have a small
amount of wiggle room at the table mounts.

Bob G.

Huh?!?!

The only recall I am aware of is the one shown in the site referenced
above, which is for a new blade guard. I've never seen any recall for
a new table. Am I missing something? My table is pretty tattered. I
don't consider it a Sears problem, but if someone has gotten them to
give new tables to saw owners, I am not above accepting one.

My understanding is that with the new guard the fence on the saw has
to be moved outward..toward the operator ...thus the old table will no
longer fit as it is too deep......so they give you a new table...

You willl loose about an inch of cross cutting compacity because of
this ...

Bob

Dave Hall

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 16:10:53 GMT, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

[...]

They send a new table because the new guard will not fit behind the
fence on the original table. On the new table the fence is a couple of
inches further towards the front of the saw. Of course, this reduces
the maximum width of crosscut capacity.

Dave Hall

Rumpty

Forget the table supplied by the recall! Make yourself a 2 ply table with
steel reinforcing and you'll have a flat table that will never warp!

Check with the Mr. Sawdust Book "How To Master The Radial Saw" to see how to
make it.

http://mrsawdust.com/

--

Rumpty

"Fred" wrote in message

"Peter Wells" wrote in message
.. .
I recently bought an old Craftsman Radial Arm ( 113.29440) saw that needs

new table. Any advice regarding what material to use and dimensions for
the
various pieces would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Peter

Craftsmen had a recall a few years ago on one of the 10" RAS and will send
you a new table.

CW

Because of the configuration of the new blade guard, a new table was
required to accommodate it. They also sent the table.

"alexy" wrote in message
The only recall I am aware of is the one shown in the site referenced

above, which is for a new blade guard. I've never seen any recall for
a new table. Am I missing something? My table is pretty tattered. I
don't consider it a Sears problem, but if someone has gotten them to
give new tables to saw owners, I am not above accepting one.
--
Alex -- Replace "nospam" with "mail" to reply by email. Checked

infrequently.

Unquestionably Confused

Patrick Fischer wrote:
A friend gave me this saw (Model 113.197602) but it has no fence. I
appreciate the measurements. If it isn't too much trouble, a pdf of the
manual would REALLY be appreciated!

If all you're missing is the fence itself, measure the width of the
existing table and chop a 1"x2" to length. That's your starting point
and your fence. Want it a bit higher? Use the one you just made with
the 1"x2" to rip whatever height you'd like. In fact, rip two since
you'll occasionally want to replace the fence and you chew it up with
slightly angled cuts, etc.

FWIW, if no one has the manual scanned for you, it's still available
from Sears for $7.49.

Pretty good diagrams of the various parts of the saw are available on
line as well.
Lee Gordon

A friend gave me this saw (Model 113.197602) but it has no fence. I
appreciate the measurements. If it isn't too much trouble, a pdf of the
manual would REALLY be appreciated!

Get in touch with Emerson Tool Company and see if they can supply you a
manual. Sears sells the manuals but Emerson might give you one for nothing.

Lee

Lee Gordon
www.leegordonproductions.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Peter Wells, VERN THEIS IN ZEPHYRHILLS FL 33542 wrote:
i also just a sears radial arm saw with same no. as yours it was new in 1972.
my question do you know where i can get the two arbor wenches for that saw?
and also just out that all those saws were on recall i can see why they are
very dangerous just be careful. i am waiting to hear from my email address
is just below thank you hopely we can keep in contact each other

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ble-36708-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to VERN THEIS IN ZEPHYRHILLS FL, brian welch wrote:
Vern,
I have some extra wrenches for that saw...Please confirm which arbor wrench
you need (I Think there were 2 different sizes, one is around 9/16", the other
is closer to 3/4"). I also have the wrench or the arbor nut as well...A
couple dollars each plus shipping, if that is okay with you...Let me know
Thanks

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ble-36708-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , VERN THEIS IN ZEPHYRHILLS
FL 33542 m wrote:

replying to Peter Wells, VERN THEIS IN ZEPHYRHILLS FL 33542 wrote:
i also just a sears radial arm saw with same no. as yours it was new in 1972.
my question do you know where i can get the two arbor wenches for that saw?
and also just out that all those saws were on recall i can see why they are
very dangerous just be careful. i am waiting to hear from my email address
is just below thank you hopely we can keep in contact each other

There seems to be no shortage of Craftsman radial arm saw arbor
wrenches on eBay.

Here's one example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Craftsman-Ra.../172548104485?
hash=item282cab2125:g:0sEAAOSw241YiOj4

Joe

General International Table Saw Dimensions Bruce Woodworking 8 February 22nd 04 05:53 AM
Old Craftsman Table Saw Motor Magnusfarce Home Repair 15 January 2nd 04 08:49 PM
Jet table saw table out of tolerance Bob Davis Woodworking 3 October 21st 03 06:54 PM
Craftsman table saw tuning semi-saga. George Eversole Jr. Woodworking 14 October 21st 03 05:04 AM
Building an extension table. Rich Woodworking 2 July 18th 03 01:11 AM