Charlie Self

Default Goddamn Google Groups

For about the fifth time, Google Groups has dumped my membership in two
photo newsgroups. It has dumped it from rec.woodworking a time or two
also.

One has to wonder what kind of criteria they use for dumping. All
worked well until just now. Then, two groups gone and all I can locate
is a new message of no interest whatsoever.

About two more weeks and I'm out of this horse****, using at least some
kind of real life ISP and NG entry.

Andy

I was just reading your post thinking, "man, that stinks", when a few
minutes later it happens to me too. They think I'm not subscribed to
any groups, and clear all the "starred" topics I'm watching. What's up
with that? Any advice?

Markem

On 9 Aug 2005 07:43:13 -0700, "Andy" wrote:

I was just reading your post thinking, "man, that stinks", when a few
minutes later it happens to me too. They think I'm not subscribed to
any groups, and clear all the "starred" topics I'm watching. What's up
with that? Any advice?

Teranews and Gravity as a newsreader. Teranews is free ($3.95) initial
charge (keeps the spammers and trolls away). Gravity is free just
search for Tom's Gravity page.

Mark

I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about, but the Google
"remember my password" is only good for two weeks and then you have to
re-enter it. If you don't you won't see your "starred" topics.

Dave

Although irritating, it is free, and yes, you do lose the groups you
are monitoring after two weeks or so. Easy enough to reset.

Also, from time to time maintenance and redesign issues scrog the data
on this service... note that it is still marked as BETA on the logo.

Free is only so good sometimes....

Andy

I know I have to re-enter my password, but this is the first time it's
really forgotten what groups I'm reading and cleared my starred topics.

Does anyone know how to use Mozilla Thunderbird to read this newsgroup?
I tried to set it up, but it said rec.woodworking was not valid or
could not be found or something. Or, are Teranews or Gravity (or any
other free/very cheap newsreaders) available for both Mac and PC?
Thanks,
Andy

John DeBoo

Andy wrote:

I know I have to re-enter my password, but this is the first time it's
really forgotten what groups I'm reading and cleared my starred topics.

Does anyone know how to use Mozilla Thunderbird to read this newsgroup?
I tried to set it up, but it said rec.woodworking was not valid or
could not be found or something. Or, are Teranews or Gravity (or any
other free/very cheap newsreaders) available for both Mac and PC?
Thanks,
Andy

Mozilla (or Netscape etc) can be used to read/respond/create msgs to any
of the newsgroups, however you still have to use a real ISP to do so as
you have to tell it what server to connect to and what type of
connection it is. I've been using Netscape for years now, works great.
Same kind of setup needed to do email but NG's are a seperate entity.
John
Brian Elfert

Markem writes:

Teranews and Gravity as a newsreader. Teranews is free ($3.95) initial
charge (keeps the spammers and trolls away). Gravity is free just
search for Tom's Gravity page.

$3.95 is nothing for a spammer. I used to own an ISP and we would get at
least one spammer a month set up an account and pay the $18.95 on a credit
card. That $18.95 wouldn't get them far as they usually were shut down in
an hour or two.

Brian Elfert

Charlie Self wrote:
For about the fifth time, Google Groups has dumped my membership in two
photo newsgroups. It has dumped it from rec.woodworking a time or two
also.

One has to wonder what kind of criteria they use for dumping. All
worked well until just now. Then, two groups gone and all I can locate
is a new message of no interest whatsoever.

About two more weeks and I'm out of this horse****, using at least some
kind of real life ISP and NG entry.

Could you explain?

I've been using Google to accesss UseNet ever since they picked
up DejaNews' archives. I've never subscribed to anything. SInce you
can read and post without subscribing, what does 'subscribing' to
a newsgroup do for you?

What is 'membership' in a newsgroup? What got dumped?

--

FF

Puckdropper

John DeBoo wrote in
:

Mozilla (or Netscape etc) can be used to read/respond/create msgs to
any of the newsgroups, however you still have to use a real ISP to do
so as you have to tell it what server to connect to and what type of
connection it is. I've been using Netscape for years now, works
great.
Same kind of setup needed to do email but NG's are a seperate
entity.
John

I'm currently using readfreenews.net and Xnews for my news access. Once
I figured out how to log in, posting has not been a problem. (You do
have to sign up but it's totally free... No binaries, though.)

Puckdropper

--
www.uncreativelabs.net

still enjoy using the old computers. Sometimes we want to see how far a
particular system can go, other times we use a stock system to remind
ourselves of what we once had.

jo4hn

Hi all,
I haven't been here much lately. My health is just fine, but good ol'
Earthlink decided to cut off my access to newsgroups. Earthlink does
not offer any kind of high speed connectivity where I live, so I use a
Charter Comm. cable link. The reason Earthlink gave had something to
do with my not using their high speed stuff. Great reasoning.

I had been using Netscape news reader and thinking about switching to
Mozilla. I am currently using Google which works OK I guess. I can't
seem to get a.b.p.f or .w however. Does google support those or am I
doing a recto-cranial inversion.

I also need to find a better ISP. Anybody out there support email and
news?

grumble,
jo4hn

mac davis

On 9 Aug 2005 06:58:07 -0700, "Charlie Self" wrote:

For about the fifth time, Google Groups has dumped my membership in two
photo newsgroups. It has dumped it from rec.woodworking a time or two
also.

One has to wonder what kind of criteria they use for dumping. All
worked well until just now. Then, two groups gone and all I can locate
is a new message of no interest whatsoever.

About two more weeks and I'm out of this horse****, using at least some
kind of real life ISP and NG entry.

I'm guessing that google stores your info, as opposed to something like Agent or
Outhouse Express, which stores your info on your computer..
If so, you're kind of at their mercy..
Sort of like Yahoo email.. sort of sucks, but ya get what ya pay for..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Dhakala

Charlie Self wrote:
For about the fifth time, Google Groups has dumped my membership in two
photo newsgroups. It has dumped it from rec.woodworking a time or two
also.

One has to wonder what kind of criteria they use for dumping. All
worked well until just now. Then, two groups gone and all I can locate
is a new message of no interest whatsoever.

It just happened to me for the first time. Went to Google Groups page
and it said I was not subscribed to any groups.

I clicked "manage my subscriptions" and there were all the groups to
which I subscribe. Clicked on the "save group settings" button, then
clicked on "my groups" at the top of the page. Everything's back to
normal.

I didn't have any starred topics so I don't what to do about that.

Markem

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 16:05:44 -0000, Brian Elfert
wrote:

Markem writes:

Teranews and Gravity as a newsreader. Teranews is free ($3.95) initial
charge (keeps the spammers and trolls away). Gravity is free just
search for Tom's Gravity page.

$3.95 is nothing for a spammer. I used to own an ISP and we would get at
least one spammer a month set up an account and pay the $18.95 on a credit
card. That $18.95 wouldn't get them far as they usually were shut down in
an hour or two.

They require that probably more towards the Snuh trolls actually, it
was implemented after it was found that those yutzs were using
Teranews as an attack base for numerous news groups.

Teranews recieved complaints via they're upstream providers, large
numbers of well written complaints have weight.

Mark
dadiOH

Charlie Self wrote:
For about the fifth time, Google Groups has dumped my membership in
two photo newsgroups. It has dumped it from rec.woodworking a time or
two also.

One has to wonder what kind of criteria they use for dumping. All
worked well until just now. Then, two groups gone and all I can locate
is a new message of no interest whatsoever.

About two more weeks and I'm out of this horse****, using at least
some kind of real life ISP and NG entry.

Your life would be a lot easier (and cheaper) without AOL. SBC DSL is
only $14.95 if you are in an area they serve.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Joe Gorman

jo4hn wrote:
Hi all,
I haven't been here much lately. My health is just fine, but good ol'
Earthlink decided to cut off my access to newsgroups. Earthlink does
not offer any kind of high speed connectivity where I live, so I use a
Charter Comm. cable link. The reason Earthlink gave had something to
do with my not using their high speed stuff. Great reasoning.

I had been using Netscape news reader and thinking about switching to
Mozilla. I am currently using Google which works OK I guess. I can't
seem to get a.b.p.f or .w however. Does google support those or am I
doing a recto-cranial inversion.

I also need to find a better ISP. Anybody out there support email and
news?

grumble,
jo4hn

try http://dotsrc.org/ I signed up while it ws news.sunsite.dk and I
still have Thunderbird pointed there. Requires a valid email address to
sign up but it's free. I sometimes have to login with userid and
password several times a day, but that's minor for the resonse.
Joe
Doug Kanter

"Andy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I know I have to re-enter my password, but this is the first time it's
really forgotten what groups I'm reading and cleared my starred topics.

Does anyone know how to use Mozilla Thunderbird to read this newsgroup?
I tried to set it up, but it said rec.woodworking was not valid or
could not be found or something. Or, are Teranews or Gravity (or any
other free/very cheap newsreaders) available for both Mac and PC?
Thanks,
Andy

Who is your internet provider?

Rich

Andy wrote:

Does anyone know how to use Mozilla Thunderbird to read this newsgroup?

I use it. Works well if your ISP provides newsgroups which mine does.
Edwin Pawlowski

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

About two more weeks and I'm out of this horse****, using at least some
kind of real life ISP and NG entry.

Hundreds of thousands of users have dumped AOL this year. Must be a reason.

Charlie Self

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

About two more weeks and I'm out of this horse****, using at least some
kind of real life ISP and NG entry.

Hundreds of thousands of users have dumped AOL this year. Must be a reason.

One more coming up. I've been aiming in that direction for a year or so
now, as AOL reduces its benefits and maintains its costs to the user.

Weird group. They take away services and can't understand why people
leave.

I'm in limbo at the moment, with a possible two or three week wait, but
should be either moving to Verizon, or to a satellite after that. I'll
maintain the AOL line for six months to make sure everyone I need to
keep track of knows.

Brian Elfert

"Edwin Pawlowski" writes:

Hundreds of thousands of users have dumped AOL this year. Must be a reason.

I think broadband has more to do with it than anything. AOL profits are
up with less customers due to advertising sales.

Brian Elfert
Mark & Juanita

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 09:59:45 -0500, Markem
wrote:

On 9 Aug 2005 07:43:13 -0700, "Andy" wrote:

I was just reading your post thinking, "man, that stinks", when a few
minutes later it happens to me too. They think I'm not subscribed to
any groups, and clear all the "starred" topics I'm watching. What's up
with that? Any advice?

Teranews and Gravity as a newsreader. Teranews is free ($3.95) initial
charge (keeps the spammers and trolls away). Gravity is free just
search for Tom's Gravity page.

Mark

Had absolutely horrible luck using Teranews -- abandoned the account
before it had expired just out of frustration and started using Supernews.
Much more civilized and reliable. With Teranews, I couldn't see most of
the pictures on abpw, attempting to open many of them would cause Gravity
to hang such that I had to close it, sometimes the hang was so bad it would
wipe out my subscribed groups. They seemed to reset newsgroup numbering
quite regularly, again requiring re-subscribe and sort out the old posts
from the new. Worst of all, it was unreliable, there were times when I
could go for days without being able to access groups because the the
server was unreachable. Tried both the "free" $3.95 account and (stupidly)
thought the paid service would be better. e-mail to support was most often
not answered, or when it was answered, the answer had little relevance to
the related problem.

Dave Balderstone

In article , Mark & Juanita
wrote:

started using Supernews.
Much more civilized and reliable.

Supernews supplies a large number of ISPs. I got an account with them
about 18 months ago and love it. Incredible retention, no service
outages. Well worth the cost, for me.

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com
dadiOH

Charlie Self wrote:

One more coming up. I've been aiming in that direction for a year or
so now, as AOL reduces its benefits and maintains its costs to the
user.

"Benefits"? Can't think of a single one...

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

John McCoy

Dave Balderstone wrote in
tone.ca:

In article , Mark & Juanita
wrote:

started using Supernews.
Much more civilized and reliable.

Supernews supplies a large number of ISPs. I got an account with them
about 18 months ago and love it. Incredible retention, no service
outages. Well worth the cost, for me.

Supernews is the best - besides the retention and the uptime,
they have a very effective spam filter, and because their admins
actually care about Usenet, they also filter trolls and other
impediments to civilized discourse.

Newsguy is also good with respect to spam filtering, etc. But
they have a thin pipe to the outside world, so they're slow as
molasses for binaries.

Giganews is good if you really care about binaries, but they're
weaker about keeping the discussion groups clean.

Altopia is good if you are or like trolls.

John