Dan Major

Default steel wool # = sandpaper grit?

Is there any corrolation between the number rating of steel wool and a
particular grit (or range) of sandpaper? Also, what does the grit of
sandpaper actually mean? Is this the mesh number of the abrasive, or is it
just another scale that was assigned? I probably could look the answer up
on google, but the wreck is *much* more informative!
willshak

On 8/6/2005 11:17 AM US(ET), Dan Major took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

http://www.woodzone.com/articles/sandpaper/

--
Bill
bridger

you got a reply with a link to more information, but there is plenty
more out there. Fine Woodworking ran a decent in depth article in the
last year or so that covered the three grit sizing systems pretty well.
IIRC, one is japanese, one european and the other north american.

steel wool works differently than sandpaper, so there's not a direct
correlation between the numbering systems other than that they indicate
progressively finer products.

woodworker88

The finest papers, which are actually plastic film backed and prized by
auto body finishers and others who work with incredibly fine paint
jobs, are sold according to the micron scale which is the mesh of the
abrasive. These papers aren't particularly useful for woodworking
unless you were planning on making a wood car, but it is a cool piece
of info. Also, these papers aren't exactly cheap.

PDQ

"Dan Major" wrote in message =
.6...
| Is there any corrolation between the number rating of steel wool and a =

| particular grit (or range) of sandpaper? Also, what does the grit of=20
| sandpaper actually mean? Is this the mesh number of the abrasive, or =
is it=20
| just another scale that was assigned? I probably could look the =
answer up=20
| on google, but the wreck is *much* more informative!

I cannot help with the steel wool comparison, but, here is a site that =
can tell you a bit about sandpaper codes:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/prin...352667,00.html

--=20
PDQ