Never Enough Money

Default Dadonator versus Forrest versus Freud -- comparisons

I'm in the market for a new dado blade? Anyone know the tradeoffs
between these? I read glowing reviews of the Infinity Tools' Dadonator.
Forrest has the reputation (and cost about $100 more). I'm replacing a
Freud, which I ruined accidentally by sliding my mitre across several
of the blades.....

TIA.

SonomaProducts.com

I bet that was a bit of a wake up call.

Leon

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm in the market for a new dado blade? Anyone know the tradeoffs
between these? I read glowing reviews of the Infinity Tools' Dadonator.
Forrest has the reputation (and cost about $100 more). I'm replacing a
Freud, which I ruined accidentally by sliding my mitre across several
of the blades.....

If you think you may do that again get the cheapest set. If you think you
may do better the Forrest may not appear to do a much better job but I would
be willing to say that it will do a better job after several hours of
cutting. The Forrest blades tend to stay sharp a lot longer. I have the
Dado King and it works great.

loutent

In article . com,
Never Enough Money wrote:

I'm in the market for a new dado blade? Anyone know the tradeoffs
between these? I read glowing reviews of the Infinity Tools' Dadonator.
Forrest has the reputation (and cost about $100 more). I'm replacing a
Freud, which I ruined accidentally by sliding my mitre across several
of the blades.....

TIA.

Hi NEM,

About 9 months ago I bought the Freud SD508 set. I was very
impressed at how much better it was than the Sears "Excalibur"
blade that had served well for 8 years. The Freud is very good.

About 6 weeks ago, I bit the bullet and bought the Forrest WWII.
I am amazed at how much better this blade is than any other
blade I have ever owned. Today I was "crosscutting" 3/4 oak ply with
this blade. I swear that it does just as well as the Freud laminate
blade that I paid $80 for. Plus, it will glue-rip 8/4 oak without a
problem.

What I am getting around to saying is that if I had to buy another
dado set now, with what I have experienced with Forrest blades, I
would spring for the extra $ and get that Forrest SD.

These blades are way beyond what most of us think of as "good".
I am retired, but a woodworking hobbyist for about 20 years, so
I have gone through quite a few blades.

If you can swing the $, get the Forrest. I will never buy another
brand of blade - period.

Don't know nothin' about the Dadonator.

Lou
Rumpy

Like the others, I once bought a forrest WWII. I now have two of them, a hi
a/t plywood blade and an 8" dado king. I still keep a non-forrest blade
around in case I need to rip a 2X4 or something, but as the others have
said, buy one forrest and you won't want anything else. Unfortunately,
aside from being very happy with my dado king, I do not have any experience
with the others.

"loutent" wrote in message
In article . com,
Never Enough Money wrote:

[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm in the market for a new dado blade? Anyone know the tradeoffs
between these? I read glowing reviews of the Infinity Tools' Dadonator.
Forrest has the reputation (and cost about $100 more). I'm replacing a
Freud, which I ruined accidentally by sliding my mitre across several
of the blades.....

TIA.

I've used Infinity router bits and they are top quality. If their blades
are too, it would be a no brainer. they offer a money back guarantee so
there is no risk. Forrest does make good stuff, but for the $100
difference, I'd go with Dadonator.

I have a Ridge Carbide dado, but I'd still consider the Infinity if I was
buying today.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

patrick conroy

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
ups.com...
Freud, which I ruined accidentally by sliding my mitre across several
of the blades.....

Hey! I did that once!

No

I saw a review, comparison, recently. Cant remember exactly where it was.
Fine Woodworking IIRC. I have not yet bought a dado bblade but one is on my
short list. There was one in the list that did not use shims, cut a flat
bottom and was rated highly IIRC. I am going to look into that further when
I am ready to buy. I have a forrest WWI that I am very happy with.