Default Making Frames

I am 16 and I would like to learn how to make frames for my paintings,
any suggestions about wood and tools I might need. I like red woods
maybe some one who has done this before could help me?

As far as wood is concerned, it will be your choice.

Regarding the tools, it depends a lot. If you buy rough wood, you will
need a jointer and a planer. Then a table saw will rip it to the
desired width. The table saw can also be used with jigs to cut perfect
miters. You will certainly appreciate a router to create some profiled
edges and other "decorations". If your frames are really large, maybe a
biscuit joiner will help you out. Depending on the style of your frames
maybe you will like to do some carving so here you are with future
purchases of chisels!

Unless you're planning on making hundreds of frames, you're probably
better off giving the jointing/planing part of the work to a
woodworking shop for a minimal fee. It might not be cost effective to
buy such machinery.

And I almost forgot... You will also need a few clamps. There are even
some evil spirits here who will suggest some red clamps... If they do,
let me tell you they're right!

Wally

SonomaProducts.com

You probably want to just buy the molding already shaped or just use
flat wood. Then use something like this saw.
http://www.clubframeco.com/picture_f...tting.html#saw

You can see lots of other info at that same website
http://www.clubframeco.com/

George

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am 16 and I would like to learn how to make frames for my paintings,
any suggestions about wood and tools I might need. I like red woods
maybe some one who has done this before could help me?

Have a shop at school? Best place to work.

Cut your miter with as many teeth in your saw as possible, clamp all four
corners at once with threaded rod/corner and band/wedged clamping jig.

It's not hard, just expensive to buy premade moldings. Router table will
make pretty much anything you need.

Lenny

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:27:10 -0400, "George" George@least wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am 16 and I would like to learn how to make frames for my paintings,
any suggestions about wood and tools I might need. I like red woods
maybe some one who has done this before could help me?

Have a shop at school? Best place to work.

Cut your miter with as many teeth in your saw as possible, clamp all four
corners at once with threaded rod/corner and band/wedged clamping jig.

It's not hard, just expensive to buy premade moldings. Router table will
make pretty much anything you need.

check these out
http://www.sawdustmaking.com/Picture...rame_clamp.htm

http://www.sawdustmaking.com/Easy%20...mes/frames.htm
clamping jig will make it much easier. Buy your moulding premade or
experiment modifying existing mouldings from the local lumberyard.

Lenny