SammyBar

Default Sliding closet door hardware...

Hi all,

I want to put doors to my closet. I'd like sliding doors that runs over
rails. Rails will be on top. Doors will hang from them, but I think I will
need a small guiding wheel or some other device to hold the lower part of
the hanguing door stright on the bottom rail.
But I need to see some real hardware to decide on the final design.
Can anybody point me to the needed hardware?

Thanks in advance
Sammy

Swingman

"SammyBar" wrote in message
Hi all,

I want to put doors to my closet. I'd like sliding doors that runs over
rails. Rails will be on top. Doors will hang from them, but I think I will
need a small guiding wheel or some other device to hold the lower part of
the hanguing door stright on the bottom rail.
But I need to see some real hardware to decide on the final design.
Can anybody point me to the needed hardware?

IME, you'll likely live to regret that decision ... double folding doors in
closets are much preferred by most home buyers/owners over the long haul,
and maintenance and cleaning are nil.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05

SonomaProducts.com

http://www.wwhardware.com/catalog.cf...oor%20Hardware

no(SPAM)vasys

SammyBar wrote:

Hi all,

I want to put doors to my closet. I'd like sliding doors that runs over
rails. Rails will be on top. Doors will hang from them, but I think I will
need a small guiding wheel or some other device to hold the lower part of
the hanguing door stright on the bottom rail.
But I need to see some real hardware to decide on the final design.
Can anybody point me to the needed hardware?

Thanks in advance
Sammy

Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, True Value...

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Bill Waller

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 12:00:47 -0500, "SammyBar" wrote:

Hi all,

I want to put doors to my closet. I'd like sliding doors that runs over
rails. Rails will be on top. Doors will hang from them, but I think I will
need a small guiding wheel or some other device to hold the lower part of
the hanguing door stright on the bottom rail.
But I need to see some real hardware to decide on the final design.
Can anybody point me to the needed hardware?

Thanks in advance
Sammy

I just converted a set of three bifold doors to a triple bypass. I purchased
the hardware from FEVRECO DOOR PRODUCTS.
Their website can be found at http://jhus.com/search.asp

I tried to fine what I needed at a couple of local home centers, but they did
not carry anything in a 96" length, nor did they have the triple track that I
wanted.

You may not need the length or number of tracks, but this company also carries
shorter track lengths and simple bypass as well.

I am very pleased with the track, rollers and the guide hardware that came in
the kit I purchased.

____________________
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

SammyBar

I purchased
the hardware from FEVRECO DOOR PRODUCTS.
Their website can be found at http://jhus.com/search.asp

They catalog looks very complete..., Thanks!

SammyBar

Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, True Value...

No one of them in my area.... (May be I'm living in the Moon...)
Thanks anyway

SammyBar

IME, you'll likely live to regret that decision ... double folding doors
in
closets are much preferred by most home buyers/owners over the long haul,
and maintenance and cleaning are nil.

I will consider it, just find the apropriate hardware first... Thanks!

C & M

If yours is the common 8' opening you will find economical hardware at the
Big Box stores. The bottom guide is a flat bottomed 'W' shape made of
plastic and is not marring and self lubricating, as it were.

"SammyBar" wrote in message
eenews.net...
Hi all,

I want to put doors to my closet. I'd like sliding doors that runs over
rails. Rails will be on top. Doors will hang from them, but I think I will
need a small guiding wheel or some other device to hold the lower part of
the hanguing door stright on the bottom rail.
But I need to see some real hardware to decide on the final design.
Can anybody point me to the needed hardware?

Thanks in advance
Sammy

Mike

wrote:

I want to put doors to my closet. I'd like sliding doors that runs over
rails. Rails will be on top. Doors will hang from them, but I think I will
need a small guiding wheel or some other device to hold the lower part of
the hanguing door stright on the bottom rail.

Seems everyone has given you the links to the most common hardware.
The bottom guides are all made about the same with just plastic
fingers to guide the doors. We normally have to install the bottom
guides on top of a block if the doors are over carpet. Also, if you
use a standard height jam, you may need to cut the doors to length.
This is dependant on the hardware so you're correct to find that
first.

You should be able to find the most common bi-pass hardware (probably
Stanley) at your local lumber yard.

I have to agree with Swingman that bifolds are much more common
although some people still prefer a bi-pass. I prefer the bi-fold
just because access to the closet is better. With a 2 door bi-pass
you always lose access to half of the closet. Actually a little more
because we overlap the doors by 1 inch. With a bifold you lose the
width of the folded doors (plus clearances) but that amount stays the
same whether it's a 4' opening or a 6' opening.

Mike O.

World Traveler

wrote:

[...]

Replacing a bad bifold door is on my Honeydew list, and I'd been thinking,
"Why a bifold? Instead of a 36" bifold, why not two 18" doors -- then you
could hang can shelves, brackets for brooms, etc., on the back of the doors
and maximize your use of the closet space. I know I can't use one big door,
because it would block the hallway at the pantry, but why not two small
center-opening doors? But every pantry I've recalled seeing has the
louvered bifold doors.

What's to keep me from replacing the bifold with two narrow louvered doors,
provided the installation is properly plumbed? Regards

Mike

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 01:07:38 GMT, "World Traveler"
wrote:

What's to keep me from replacing the bifold with two narrow louvered doors,
provided the installation is properly plumbed?

It's a little more work but double doors should work fine on a pantry.
Any opening for that matter but in a lot of bedrooms a larger closet
with double doors will often conflict with furniture.

Mike O.