D Steck

Default Powermatic 64A Alignment Problem

Last week I posted a question on an alignment problem I was having with my
Powermatic when cutting miters. After taking the saw apart (pulled out
everything under the table), cleaning it and putting it back together, I
still had the problem. Powermatic suggested shimming the trunnion brackets
which didn't work. After getting someone else to look at it, I saw that the
bolts in the back that hold the trunnion bracket in place, were hitting the
bar that holds the saw guard in place. These bolts were installed when I
put the PALS system in and are not original.

Since I use a Brett overhead guard, I don't need the bar installed anymore
and I took it off. Even after I did this, I still had the alignment problem
athough not as severe. I'm out of square now by about 1/32" over a 6.5"
miter instead of 1/4". (And no, the problem is not with my miter guage
being out of square with the blade the problem is the blade is out of square
with the miter slot when tilted to 45 degrees).

Powermatic just sent me a PDF on how to true up the tie-bars. They also
called me to get me up to speed. (Good customer service!!!) In the PDF, they
talk about using a flat plate across the bars - on the phone, they said use
a piece of glass.

I'm posting it on abpw in case anyone else has a similar problem. Hopefully
this procedure will solve my problem. If it doesn't, anyone want a
Powermatic 64A???

Dave W

I know what you have been going through. My Artisan from PM had the same
problem. I even drilled larger holes in the trunions so that the damned
thing would come into alignment. My problem was eventually traced to the
tilt mechanism. It pulls the trunion assembly out of alignment. I am
totally satisfied with the new General that replaced the Artisan.
Dave