Gene T

Default Too good to be true?

Has anyone been brave enough to pay for info on how to "revive" cordless
toll batteries that no longer hold a charge?
This guy is selling this "info" On Ebay for $12.95 and has a 99.7% feedback.
Can this be true?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Gene
--

This message has been scanned by Norton Anti-virus software

dadiOH

Gene T wrote:
Has anyone been brave enough to pay for info on how to "revive"
cordless toll batteries that no longer hold a charge?

NiCad batteries develop a "memory". If they are charged before being
fully discharged, they will ultimately sort of "think" that they should
be charged sooner than before. One way to remedy that is to *fully*
discharge the battery then charge. No idea if that's what is being done
by the device the guy is peddling.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Doug Miller

In article , "Gene T" wrote:
Has anyone been brave enough to pay for info on how to "revive" cordless
toll batteries that no longer hold a charge?
This guy is selling this "info" On Ebay for $12.95 and has a 99.7% feedback.
Can this be true?
&ssPageName=WDVW

Dunno.... sounds interesting, but fishy. I just sent emails to five of his
buyers, selected at random from among those who bought at least a month ago,
asking if they're still happy. If I get any responses, I'll post them.

--
Regards,

Bob Schmall

Gene T wrote:
Has anyone been brave enough to pay for info on how to "revive" cordless
toll batteries that no longer hold a charge?
This guy is selling this "info" On Ebay for $12.95 and has a 99.7% feedback.
Can this be true?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Gene

If it were true, don't you think the manufacturers would have figured
out how to do it and make money on the process? This smells like the
infamous Fish carburetor of long ago. You know, the one that got 50-60
mpg as a bolt-on.
Bob
Edwin Pawlowski

"Bob Schmall" wrote in message

If it were true, don't you think the manufacturers would have figured out
how to do it and make money on the process? This smells like the infamous
Fish carburetor of long ago. You know, the one that got 50-60 mpg as a
bolt-on.
Bob

Hey, it works, When I added the water injector from JC Whitney, my mileage
went up to 70 mpg. They I added that fan thingies under the carb, plus a
special ingredient in the gas tank and I'm getting 82 mpg on a regular
basis. I can't wait for the Fire Ring spark plugs to get here. My goal is
to top 100 mpg.

Charlie Self

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Bob Schmall" wrote in message

If it were true, don't you think the manufacturers would have figured out
how to do it and make money on the process? This smells like the infamous
Fish carburetor of long ago. You know, the one that got 50-60 mpg as a
bolt-on.
Bob

Hey, it works, When I added the water injector from JC Whitney, my mileage
went up to 70 mpg. They I added that fan thingies under the carb, plus a
special ingredient in the gas tank and I'm getting 82 mpg on a regular
basis. I can't wait for the Fire Ring spark plugs to get here. My goal is
to top 100 mpg.

Yeah. And you have as much chance as there is of gas hitting $3 a
gallon. Oh. Whoops. That's later this summer. Maybe the new model year
will have a 100 MPG hybrid.

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:35:40 GMT, Gene T wrote:
Has anyone been brave enough to pay for info on how to "revive" cordless
toll batteries that no longer hold a charge?
This guy is selling this "info" On Ebay for $12.95 and has a 99.7% feedback.
Can this be true?

There are ways to regenerate NiCd batteries, yes. Some are temporary,
some are less temporary. If you have a Batteries Plus store near you,
they'll take a battery pack in, see if the techniques work on it, and if
they do, they'll charge you for the "revive". If it doesn't work, then
you can buy new batteries from them.

Their advice and findings can, I think, be trusted either way, because
either way they get profit out of the transaction, and I've always been
doen well by them. I'd give the guy on eBay a miss; you can probably
find dodgy advice on how to renew NiCd batteries on google, and it's
probably just as valid.

See if your local battery house has a service like this. I just noticed
last night that one of my Makita 18V paks needs this, and it's in the
car today for that reason.

Dave Hinz

Joe Gorman

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Bob Schmall" wrote in message

If it were true, don't you think the manufacturers would have figured out
how to do it and make money on the process? This smells like the infamous
Fish carburetor of long ago. You know, the one that got 50-60 mpg as a
bolt-on.
Bob

Hey, it works, When I added the water injector from JC Whitney, my mileage
went up to 70 mpg. They I added that fan thingies under the carb, plus a
special ingredient in the gas tank and I'm getting 82 mpg on a regular
basis. I can't wait for the Fire Ring spark plugs to get here. My goal is
to top 100 mpg.

Be careful, if you put too many of these add-ons on the same car you'll
start making gas and the EPA will be all over you for polluting the
environment when it overflows the tank anywhere near a wetlands. or a
puddle of standing water.
Joe
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:51:02 -0500, Puff Griffis wrote:
My Batteries Plus store will not touch battery packs from cordless power tools. At least that's what the fellow told me in November last year.

Hm. I've used ours several times for this service. They have a tech on
duty (with a glass wall so you can watch him work - I'd _HATE_ that if
it was me) with all the toys. They'll put new individual cells into
devices that don't have seperate packs, and all that. I suppose they're
franchises so they may vary?

Patrick Conroy

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in

Hey, it works, When I added the water injector from JC Whitney, my
mileage went up to 70 mpg. They I added that fan thingies under the
carb, plus a special ingredient in the gas tank and I'm getting 82 mpg
on a regular basis. I can't wait for the Fire Ring spark plugs to get
here. My goal is to top 100 mpg.

What about that magnet thingy that "aligns" the gasoline molecules for more
MPG!?!?!

Oh oh... Here come the black helicopters...

Puff Griffis

My Batteries Plus store will not touch battery packs from cordless power =
tools. At least that's what the fellow told me in November last year.
Puff

wrote:
Has anyone been brave enough to pay for info on how to "revive" =

cordless=20
toll batteries that no longer hold a charge?
This guy is selling this "info" On Ebay for $12.95 and has a 99.7% =

feedback.=20
Can this be true?

=20
[...]

Michael Houghton

Howdy!

In article yuyue.2317$HU.51@trnddc03, dadiOH wrote:
Gene T wrote:
Has anyone been brave enough to pay for info on how to "revive"
cordless toll batteries that no longer hold a charge?

NiCad batteries develop a "memory". If they are charged before being
fully discharged, they will ultimately sort of "think" that they should
be charged sooner than before. One way to remedy that is to *fully*
discharge the battery then charge. No idea if that's what is being done
by the device the guy is peddling.

That is bad advice.

Every now and then, it is a good idea to run the battery down to about
10%. Running it all the way down practically guarantees that at least
one of the cells will be fully discharged early and try to take a charge
in the wrong way, causing it damage.

The "memory" effect is overblown, being difficult to actually demonstrate.

DAGS for nicad memory effect...

yours,
Michael

| White Wolf and the Phoenix
Bowie, MD, USA | Tablet and Inkle bands, and other stuff

http://www.radix.net/~herveus/wwap/
tom

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:51:02 -0500, Puff Griffis
wrote:
My Batteries Plus store will not touch battery packs from cordless power tools. At least that's what the fellow told me in November last year. Could be the packs you brought in were not screwed together, rather a glued-up box? At least that was the kicker for my Batteries Plus store. Tom

Duane Bozarth

wrote:
My Batteries Plus store will not touch battery packs from cordless power tools. At least that's what the fellow told me in November last year. Could be the packs you brought in were not screwed together, rather a glued-up box? At least that was the kicker for my Batteries Plus store. Tom

Any competent rebuilder should have the ability to dissasemble virtually
any battery pack and rebuild it...there are at least two independent
ones in Wichita I've used. Everything from early-death drill packs to
antique HP calculators.
Bob Schmall

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Bob Schmall" wrote in message

If it were true, don't you think the manufacturers would have figured out
how to do it and make money on the process? This smells like the infamous
Fish carburetor of long ago. You know, the one that got 50-60 mpg as a
bolt-on.
Bob

Hey, it works, When I added the water injector from JC Whitney, my mileage
went up to 70 mpg. They I added that fan thingies under the carb, plus a
special ingredient in the gas tank and I'm getting 82 mpg on a regular
basis. I can't wait for the Fire Ring spark plugs to get here. My goal is
to top 100 mpg.

Ed,Ed,Ed...
You've forgotten the pills that turn gas into water.
Sort of a reverse Jesus with a half gainer.

Bob

Bob Schmall

wrote:

My Batteries Plus store will not touch battery packs from cordless power tools. At least that's what the fellow told me in November last year. Could be the packs you brought in were not screwed together, rather a glued-up box? At least that was the kicker for my Batteries Plus store. Tom

Any competent rebuilder should have the ability to dissasemble virtually
any battery pack and rebuild it...there are at least two independent
ones in Wichita I've used. Everything from early-death drill packs to
antique HP calculators.

Somehow I don't think this is what the OP had in mind. The eBay scam
looks more like a magic pill than a competent rebuild.

Bob
Hax Planx

Patrick Conroy says...

What about that magnet thingy that "aligns" the gasoline molecules for more
MPG!?!?!

Oh oh... Here come the black helicopters...

I once picked up a hitchhiker who claimed he knew of a guy who bought a
prototype Chrysler that got 80mpg. Then some guys found him and took
the car back. You see, the oil companies buy up all the patents for
high mileage innovations so they never see the light of day. He was the
most clean-cut and rational of all the three or four hitchhikers I ever
picked up. I stopped picking up hitchhikers before my 17th birthday
some twenty years ago.
Upscale

"Hax Planx" wrote in message
picked up. I stopped picking up hitchhikers before my 17th birthday
some twenty years ago.

One of them bite you? Are you telling me that at the tender age of 18, you
wouldn't have stopped for some hitchhiking cute woman in a short skirt?

Duane Bozarth

Bob Schmall wrote:

wrote:

My Batteries Plus store will not touch battery packs from cordless power tools. At least that's what the fellow told me in November last year. Could be the packs you brought in were not screwed together, rather a glued-up box? At least that was the kicker for my Batteries Plus store. Tom

Any competent rebuilder should have the ability to dissasemble virtually
any battery pack and rebuild it...there are at least two independent
ones in Wichita I've used. Everything from early-death drill packs to
antique HP calculators.

Somehow I don't think this is what the OP had in mind. The eBay scam
looks more like a magic pill than a competent rebuild.

True, I was just referring to the subthread complaint about a particular
shop somewhere that was unable (or at least unwilling) to tackle a
welded-plastic b-pack...
Hax Planx

Upscale says...

One of them bite you? Are you telling me that at the tender age of 18, you
wouldn't have stopped for some hitchhiking cute woman in a short skirt?

Never saw any. By that time both hitchhiking and picking them up was,
well, let's say out of fashion. I believe I saw one in Raleigh trying
to hitch a ride on the beltway once. I wanted to pick her up, but
mainly because I wanted to ask her if she had lost her mind.

Steve

I heard a story about Mark Twain. It seems that he bought an automobile
and had a second gas tank installed, then disconnected the regular
one. He would drive into a gas station, fill the regular gas tank with
water, pop a little white pill into the water-filled tank, and drive
off. Don't know if it's true, but it makes a good story.

--Steve

Bob Schmall wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Bob Schmall" wrote in message

If it were true, don't you think the manufacturers would have figured
out how to do it and make money on the process? This smells like the
infamous Fish carburetor of long ago. You know, the one that got
50-60 mpg as a bolt-on.
Bob

Hey, it works, When I added the water injector from JC Whitney, my
mileage went up to 70 mpg. They I added that fan thingies under the
carb, plus a special ingredient in the gas tank and I'm getting 82 mpg
on a regular basis. I can't wait for the Fire Ring spark plugs to get
here. My goal is to top 100 mpg.

Ed,Ed,Ed...
You've forgotten the pills that turn gas into water.
Sort of a reverse Jesus with a half gainer.

Bob

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 16:21:02 -0000, Michael Houghton wrote:

The "memory" effect is overblown, being difficult to actually demonstrate.
DAGS for nicad memory effect...

Come on over, I'll show you a real example. People have been saying for
decades that it doesn't exist, and people have continued to experience
it during all that time. A NiCd battery rejuvination produces
measurable real results; if that's not from memory effect, what do you
think it's from?

dadiOH

Patrick Conroy wrote:
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in

Hey, it works, When I added the water injector from JC Whitney, my
mileage went up to 70 mpg. They I added that fan thingies under the
carb, plus a special ingredient in the gas tank and I'm getting 82
mpg on a regular basis. I can't wait for the Fire Ring spark plugs
to get here. My goal is to top 100 mpg.

What about that magnet thingy that "aligns" the gasoline molecules
for more MPG!?!?!

They switched to curing arthritis.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

AAvK

I emailed the owner and asked:

Hello Rick, just to let you know, your auction for the battery technique
is being discussed in rec.woodworking... You could pop in there and
explain it as a genuine way to save memory choked batteries if you want,
but if what you are selling is merely a link to site that shows a way to
connect wires in a specific way and it works, do you think it is really
worth $12.95? --(me)
----
His answer:

I am the president of Unique Dynamics, Inc. that has copyright and patent
rights to the process. The best way to determine if the process is worth the
money is to read the ebay feedback and the testimonials.

http://resurrection.uniquedynamics.com/
----

So, if one "buys it" they get a URL and a password to the instructions. I
assume they can be copied, if not then a screen capture program can be used,
or the whole page saved to disc.

The one single negative feedback he's got is funny. But I really don't think
it is a big deal to risk and try it out. personally I do not use ccordless power
tools unless it is a skil twist, which needs a new battery.

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

David

Resurrection? Is this the "Second Coming"?

Seems over the top and awfully pretentious. What procedure for TRYING
to save a bad battery pack warrants a patent? When I've had bad battery
packs, I've found dead cells. There's no hocus pocus that's gonna bring
those dead cells back to life.

Was it PT Barnum that said...?

Any chance the "feedback" is bogus?

Even if Doug gets an email back, why couldn't it be coming from a shill?

Dave

AAvK wrote:

[...]

Dave Balderstone

In article , David
wrote:

Seems over the top and awfully pretentious. What procedure for TRYING
to save a bad battery pack warrants a patent?

The site says "patent pending"...

There is no patent.

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com

loutent

In article %Tyue.2304$Z97.520@trndny06, Edwin Pawlowski
wrote:

"Bob Schmall" wrote in message

If it were true, don't you think the manufacturers would have figured out
how to do it and make money on the process? This smells like the infamous
Fish carburetor of long ago. You know, the one that got 50-60 mpg as a
bolt-on.
Bob

Hey, it works, When I added the water injector from JC Whitney, my mileage
went up to 70 mpg. They I added that fan thingies under the carb, plus a
special ingredient in the gas tank and I'm getting 82 mpg on a regular
basis. I can't wait for the Fire Ring spark plugs to get here. My goal is
to top 100 mpg.

In the early 70's , I was more interested in HP
than MPG.

I stuck this "cool can" gizmo between the tank and
the carb of my Boss 302 (wish I had that today). It
was sort of like a mini "still" with an aluminum
tube coiled around the inside of an insulated can -
maybe 10 inch diameter. The idea was that you fill the
can with ice, or better dry ice, and then run your honey
at the local strip. It was to increase the density of the
gas. You know, more cc's passing through the pump
at any given moment.

Don't think that it did anthing, but it sure looked
"cool" when when it was smokin' from the dry ice when
I popped the hood.

Lou

Unquestionably Confused

Patrick Conroy wrote:
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in

Hey, it works, When I added the water injector from JC Whitney, my
mileage went up to 70 mpg. They I added that fan thingies under the
carb, plus a special ingredient in the gas tank and I'm getting 82 mpg
on a regular basis. I can't wait for the Fire Ring spark plugs to get
here. My goal is to top 100 mpg.

What about that magnet thingy that "aligns" the gasoline molecules for more
MPG!?!?!

Oh oh... Here come the black helicopters...

Be very careful with this one. I installed one backwards by mistake and
my MPG decreased by 35%. Called J.C. Whitney and they straightened me
out. Said to either R&R the magnet properly or drive backwards to
achieve the higher MPG

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 17:24:38 -0700, AAvK wrote:

----
His answer:

I am the president of Unique Dynamics, Inc. that has copyright and patent
rights to the process. The best way to determine if the process is worth the
money is to read the ebay feedback and the testimonials.

For the record, neither the copyright or the patent office verifies that
something works, just that it's unique enough. I have no information or
comment on whatever this process is, but I want to point out that that
doesn't mean it's been validated by those offices.

Me, I'll stick with Batteries Plus.

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 00:48:03 GMT, CW wrote:
The carborator was real and did work. The rumor mill distorted the claims.
It did do what it was claimed by the the manufacturer to do.

Please provide a credible cite for this. We'll get into the chemical
limitations once you do that. "I heard a guy say a friend of a friend
said" isn't a cite, by the way.

CW

I was quite ready to discuss the myths and realities of this (the realities
you are obviously unaware of) but you immidiatly took your prick stance. In
that case, go **** yourself.
"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 00:48:03 GMT, CW wrote:
The carborator was real and did work. The rumor mill distorted the

claims.
It did do what it was claimed by the the manufacturer to do.

Please provide a credible cite for this. We'll get into the chemical
limitations once you do that. "I heard a guy say a friend of a friend
said" isn't a cite, by the way.

Mark & Juanita

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:34:51 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Bob Schmall" wrote in message

If it were true, don't you think the manufacturers would have figured out
how to do it and make money on the process? This smells like the infamous
Fish carburetor of long ago. You know, the one that got 50-60 mpg as a
bolt-on.
Bob

Hey, it works, When I added the water injector from JC Whitney, my mileage
went up to 70 mpg. They I added that fan thingies under the carb, plus a
special ingredient in the gas tank and I'm getting 82 mpg on a regular
basis. I can't wait for the Fire Ring spark plugs to get here. My goal is
to top 100 mpg.

Hey, you keep adding stuff like that, eventually you are going to have to
stop every several miles and siphon off some gas so the tank doesn't
overflow. :-)

Prometheus

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:10:24 -0500, Hax Planx
wrote:

Patrick Conroy says...

What about that magnet thingy that "aligns" the gasoline molecules for more
MPG!?!?!

Oh oh... Here come the black helicopters...

I once picked up a hitchhiker who claimed he knew of a guy who bought a
prototype Chrysler that got 80mpg. Then some guys found him and took
the car back. You see, the oil companies buy up all the patents for
high mileage innovations so they never see the light of day. He was the
most clean-cut and rational of all the three or four hitchhikers I ever
picked up. I stopped picking up hitchhikers before my 17th birthday
some twenty years ago.

The manufacturers really don't seem to be doing too badly, as far as I
can see. I picked up an 05 Ford Focus last week because my van was on
it's deathbed, and it's getting 30-35 mpg with the AC running on max
constantly. According to the owner's manual, it will get up to 51 mpg
under optimal circumstances- and it's got almost no emissions. The
downside is that I opened the hood, and realized that I will probably
never be able to work on the thing- it looks more like some kind of
spaceship than any engine I'm accustomed to.

Nice little car, though. Came with one of those Japan-esque
warranties, too. 5yrs/75,000mi bumper-to-bumper, and 100,000mi
warranty on the drive train.

Bruce Barnett

"CW" writes:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
Please provide a credible cite for this. We'll get into the chemical
limitations once you do that. "I heard a guy say a friend of a friend
said" isn't a cite, by the way.

I was quite ready to discuss the myths and realities of this (the realities
you are obviously unaware of) but you immidiatly took your prick stance. In
that case, go **** yourself.

Asking for a credible citation isn't being a prick. As an outsider, I
can only conclude you can't provide a citation for your facts.

Doug Miller

In article , David wrote:

Seems over the top and awfully pretentious. What procedure for TRYING
to save a bad battery pack warrants a patent? When I've had bad battery
packs, I've found dead cells. There's no hocus pocus that's gonna bring
those dead cells back to life.

Google on "revive NiCad battery" and you'll discover that (apparently) there
*is* such hocus pocus.

Was it PT Barnum that said...?

Any chance the "feedback" is bogus?

Of course. However, there's an awful lot of it. Which means that someone went
to an awful lot of trouble to create it.

Even if Doug gets an email back, why couldn't it be coming from a shill?

I did get one response. Yes, it could be coming from a shill. Doesn't sound
like it IMO, though:

"Hello! Yes, it works well-but not on all batteries. Firstly, you need to be
able to access the individual cells. Using a 10-12 volt source battery(9 is
too weak I've found) you "zap" each dead cell-most are revived and can then be
charged. Some won't work at all and some don't hold it. However, the first
one (an 18 volt Milwaukee battery) that had several bad cells has held 20
volts for several weeks. Others have not held it. You can always take the
remaining good cells from an otherwise bad battery overall for use later
(SOLDERING SKILLS HELP). He also has a new "quick" method that is easier but
doesn't always work. Easily worth the $13 for one battery if you ask me. "

--
Regards,

Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
Dave Hinz wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 00:48:03 GMT, CW wrote:
The carborator was real and did work. The rumor mill distorted the claims.
It did do what it was claimed by the the manufacturer to do.

Please provide a credible cite for this. We'll get into the chemical
limitations once you do that. "I heard a guy say a friend of a friend
said" isn't a cite, by the way.

That should have read "CARBONATOR" What it did was to carbonate the
gasoline (like Coca Cola) then when the gasoline was compressed in
the cylinder & ignited, the extra pressure resulting from the release
of CO2 from the carbonated gas would give more power!

Only problem was that it would make the engine burp & gurgle at times.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Andy McArdle

Any competent rebuilder should have the ability to dissasemble
virtually any battery pack and rebuild it...there are at least two
independent ones in Wichita I've used. Everything from early-death
drill packs to antique HP calculators.

Somehow I don't think this is what the OP had in mind. The eBay scam
looks more like a magic pill than a competent rebuild.

True, I was just referring to the subthread complaint about a particular
shop somewhere that was unable (or at least unwilling) to tackle a
welded-plastic b-pack...

It could also be the Ol' "reverse zap" method. Using a 12v car battery, zap
the NiCad for a split-second with the polarity reversed. ie. +ve cable to
+ve terminal on car-battery *and* NiCAD, -ve to -ve. I zap 'em two or three
times, with pauses in-between to ensure nothing over-heats.

I've done this several times with NiCads that were past their prime, and it
works, ort of. About 1/4 of the NiCads I've done to date recovered and
worked well for a while, about another 1/4 recharged OK once or twice then
turned toes up again and the rest stayed parrots.

As they were cactus dominictus anyway, I wasn't concerned about damaging
'em *but* I've learned a thing or two since then and have stopped doing it.

Damaging the car battery is a very real possibilty... so are exploding
NiCads. Be warned, it ain't worth it.

--
- Andy
Another great idea from the man who brought you Beer Milkshakes!