Zimmer

Default Railing Baluster Spacing

I'm constructing a deck railing with 4"x4" posts, 2"x4" rails, and 1/2"
copper balusters. For reasons I won't go into, the spacing between the
posts is not equal for each section of railing (i.e., some distances
between posts are 44.25", while others are 46", etc.).

Aesthetically, is it more important to maintain the same O.C. spacing
between balusters for all sections of the railing (e.g., all balusters
are 5" O.C.) or is it more important to maintain equal baluster spacing
within a section of the railing (e.g., a 44 1/4" span would result in a
baluster spacing of 4.76" while a 32.25" span would result in a
baluster spacing of 4.41")

Thanks,
Dave

DL

"Zimmer" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm constructing a deck railing with 4"x4" posts, 2"x4" rails, and 1/2"
copper balusters. For reasons I won't go into, the spacing between the
posts is not equal for each section of railing (i.e., some distances
between posts are 44.25", while others are 46", etc.).

Aesthetically, is it more important to maintain the same O.C. spacing
between balusters for all sections of the railing (e.g., all balusters
are 5" O.C.) or is it more important to maintain equal baluster spacing
within a section of the railing (e.g., a 44 1/4" span would result in a
baluster spacing of 4.76" while a 32.25" span would result in a
baluster spacing of 4.41")

Thanks,
Dave

I would check with your local inspection office. Where I live, balluster
spacing can't be more than 4" OC.

The varying spans, between 44" and 46" it won't make that much visual
difference if you vary them. However, between 46" and 32" it might as you
stated the difference is over 1/3".

Depending on how you built the guard rails, the ballusters could maintain a
consistent space if they are attached around the outside of the guard rail
as it will look more consistent on the outside side of the guard rail.

I assume that the ballusters are attached between the posts, I would
probably vary to spacing as you suggested. Try to get the spacing as close
as possible as even 1/3" will be noticable, but don't get overly concerned
about it as most will never notice it.

BTW, what are you going to use to protect / finish the copper? Sounds like
a neat idea.

David

Zimmer

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't suspect a +/- 1/4" difference in
spacing would be noticeable.

I got the idea for using copper balustrades from an online aluminum
product: http://www.deckorators.com/Classic-Baluster.asp.

The only difference is the aluminum balusters are $2.99 each. The
copper is standard Type L plumbing pipe at about $1.50 for a 36"
length. I wasn't planning on applying any type of finish to the
copper, but rather letting it weather naturally.

Dave

loutent

In article . com,
Zimmer wrote:

I'm constructing a deck railing with 4"x4" posts, 2"x4" rails, and 1/2"
copper balusters. For reasons I won't go into, the spacing between the
posts is not equal for each section of railing (i.e., some distances
between posts are 44.25", while others are 46", etc.).

Aesthetically, is it more important to maintain the same O.C. spacing
between balusters for all sections of the railing (e.g., all balusters
are 5" O.C.) or is it more important to maintain equal baluster spacing
within a section of the railing (e.g., a 44 1/4" span would result in a
baluster spacing of 4.76" while a 32.25" span would result in a
baluster spacing of 4.41")

Thanks,
Dave

Hi Dave,

I ran into the same problem about 15 years ago when I put
a railing around our "L" shaped front porch. It has 7 posts with
a different distance between every one. To make thing worse, the
posts were installed by the builder with no regard to keeping
the turnings level, so the square bottom part (where you would
attach the railing) varied by an inch or so from post to post.

Anyhow, I elected to take each section and keep the ballusters as
close to a given measure as I could. It takes a little planning (which
you have already done) but it will work out if the spacing is not
that different. It is easy to do a "dry fit" to play around with the
spacing, then once you are satisfied, cut a "spacer block" to keep
spaces equal.

The small spacing difference is not noticeable at all.

Lou
SonomaProducts.com

In one of my former lives as a structural steel detailer (guys that
draft the shop drawings) we always used a consistent spacing for the
pickets. The odd spaces were at the posts, equal at each end of each
section. This way you never had more than 1/2 a space at each end.

There are building codes that dictate the maximum space between any
railing. In the old days it was stated as something like "Nowhere shall
a 6" ball be able to pass through any space in the railing".
Interestingly, the 6" was dictated by the average size of a babies
head. No kidding.

This commercial approach is obviously the most productive but I
believe it is also the best aesthetically. In my career I was probably
witness to at least one hundred instances of this.

BW

Robert Bonomi

In article . com,
Zimmer wrote:
I'm constructing a deck railing with 4"x4" posts, 2"x4" rails, and 1/2"
copper balusters. For reasons I won't go into, the spacing between the
posts is not equal for each section of railing (i.e., some distances
between posts are 44.25", while others are 46", etc.).

Aesthetically, is it more important to maintain the same O.C. spacing
between balusters for all sections of the railing (e.g., all balusters
are 5" O.C.) or is it more important to maintain equal baluster spacing
within a section of the railing (e.g., a 44 1/4" span would result in a
baluster spacing of 4.76" while a 32.25" span would result in a
baluster spacing of 4.41")

You want to keep the spacing "approximately" the same all around.

Two ways to do this:
1) use fixed spacing _between_ all the balusters, and 'fudge to fit'
between the baluster and the post (split the difference between the
two ends of the section)
2) lay out each section with 'standard' spacing, to see how many balusters
go in, and then 'fudge to fit' that number of balusters with equal
spacings.

Unless you've got som _really_short_ sections, to the casual eye, either
will look equally good. The first is a bit 'easier' to construct, because
a single spacing template can be used for all the baluster-to-baluster
intervals.

Wood Butcher

I used copper pipe for balusters on my deck and, as many have
noted, I put the short spaces next to the posts. They eye never
notices the difference. I can post some pics if you want.

Art

"Zimmer" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm constructing a deck railing with 4"x4" posts, 2"x4" rails, and 1/2"
copper balusters. For reasons I won't go into, the spacing between the
posts is not equal for each section of railing (i.e., some distances
between posts are 44.25", while others are 46", etc.).

Aesthetically, is it more important to maintain the same O.C. spacing
between balusters for all sections of the railing (e.g., all balusters
are 5" O.C.) or is it more important to maintain equal baluster spacing
within a section of the railing (e.g., a 44 1/4" span would result in a
baluster spacing of 4.76" while a 32.25" span would result in a
baluster spacing of 4.41")

Thanks,
Dave

PDQ

"Wood Butcher" wrote in message =
| I used copper pipe for balusters on my deck and, as many have
| noted, I put the short spaces next to the posts. They eye never
| notices the difference. I can post some pics if you want.
|=20
| Art
|=20
| "Zimmer" wrote in message
| ups.com...
| I'm constructing a deck railing with 4"x4" posts, 2"x4" rails, and =
1/2"
| copper balusters. For reasons I won't go into, the spacing between =
the
| posts is not equal for each section of railing (i.e., some distances
| between posts are 44.25", while others are 46", etc.).
|
| Aesthetically, is it more important to maintain the same O.C. =
spacing
| between balusters for all sections of the railing (e.g., all =
balusters
| are 5" O.C.) or is it more important to maintain equal baluster =
spacing
| within a section of the railing (e.g., a 44 1/4" span would result =
in a
| baluster spacing of 4.76" while a 32.25" span would result in a
| baluster spacing of 4.41")
|
| Thanks,
| Dave

|=20
|=20

Watch the spacing as a child (if there are any about) could stick its =
head thru and get stuck.
This usually causes a lot of anguish, and fuss.

You might want to keep the spacing at or below 4" to avoid =
recriminations. Some codes actually spell out what the spacing can be.

When putting in the balusters, start in the middle of the span to mark =
them and let the small discrepancies fall near the 4X4's.

--=20
PDQ

Don

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote
In one of my former lives as a structural steel detailer (guys that
draft the shop drawings) we always used a consistent spacing for the
pickets. The odd spaces were at the posts, equal at each end of each
section. This way you never had more than 1/2 a space at each end.

There are building codes that dictate the maximum space between any
railing. In the old days it was stated as something like "Nowhere shall
a 6" ball be able to pass through any space in the railing".
Interestingly, the 6" was dictated by the average size of a babies
head. No kidding.

Good advice, with the exception that the code now has determined a baby's
head is 4".
Also, there can be no more than 2.5" from the bottom side of the bottom rail
and the floor surface.
The reason I was given for the 2.5" thing was stuff falling off the floor
and hitting people below.
We still put the bottom rail at 4" above the floor, then nail a 2x2 on the
floor under the bottom rail.
Don't get me going on the codes.....