Dave

Default finish for trivet??

can anyone tell me the best finish to use for a trivet

Dave wrote:
can anyone tell me the best finish to use for a trivet

Dave,

I don't know if it is the BEST finish for a trivet, but, I used
Butcher's Wax (in the bright orange can) and a paint brush. This was
recommended to me from my instructor as I was completing a basic
blacksmithing class. All you need to do is wire wheel off all the scale
until you are satisfied, then place the trivet on top of the coals for
about 10-15 seconds. Don't blow any air into the fire. You just want
the trivet warm enough to slightly singe the back of you hand. Then
take it out with a pair of tongs and quickly brush on the wax. It will
melt nicely and flow into all the cracks and crevices to give it a nice
coating. I made mine for my wife 2 years ago and I haven't had to
refinish it yet. To refinish, simply rebrush if it needs it and then
reheat and rewax. That helps it prevent rust and still keep the silver
and black look from the forge.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
Dave,

place the trivet on top of the coals for
about 10-15 seconds. Don't blow any air into the fire. You just want
the trivet warm enough to slightly singe the back of you hand. Then
take it out with a pair of tongs

Oooooh I don't know. I made a bunch of trivets for gifts and just put
Danish oil on them. I think the maple and Kentucky coffee wood I made them
from might have darkened too much if I set them on hot coals.
Ed

Charles Spitzer

wrote in message
oups.com...

Dave wrote:
[...]

the title of this group is rec.woodworking. are you where you think you are?

Bruce Barnett

Dave writes:

can anyone tell me the best finish to use for a trivet

Marble

i.e. http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1132

Yeah, I know. But he asked for the best....

I have the marble slightly higher than the wood, so the wood will never burn.
I've also seen burned trivets.

Ron Kolakowski

I use Boiled Linseed Oil, and it has held up fine for several years on
the ones we use at home. Haven't had any negative comments from folks
who bought them, or received them as gifts, either. One or two coats,
them let them "cure" for a week or so.

Ron

Dave

Thanks guys for all the help. Some good ideas here ill experiment and
find out which i like best.
Thanks again
dave

Charles - Pardon my ignorance, but how do you cut/incise the wood to
inlay the marble (at least the round ones)?

Sorry, I thought was in the BLACKSMITHING group. The nice thing about
my steel trivet is that I don't have to worry about ANY of it burning.

Robert Bonomi

In article .com,
wrote:
Charles - Pardon my ignorance, but how do you cut/incise the wood to
inlay the marble (at least the round ones)?

I think you use a _ball_-bearing router bit. groan

Mark Thieme

Dave wrote:
can anyone tell me the best finish to use for a trivet

I use stain and poly
Mark

Oak Dining Table colin UK diy 14 March 15th 05 03:45 PM
Can we use water based finish on oil based finish for maintenance coats? John Smith Woodworking 6 April 28th 04 06:45 PM
Mark Shafer's oil-beeswax gel finish (mini-review) B a r r y Woodworking 0 April 20th 04 12:33 PM
Patches of missing finish on oak tables -- how to repair and match color? Tekla Woodworking 1 March 5th 04 03:28 AM
"Dulling" a shellac finish Tim Schubach Woodworking 6 October 13th 03 07:22 AM