Default Best cordless drill?

At the risk of starting a flame-war, anybody have suggestions for the
best of the current cordless drills? I have a bunch of Dewalt cordless
tools (tried to stay with one brand for battery compatibility, but
they're old enough that I'm willing to consider switching) and a couple
of Makitas. I've been generally happy with both, but I've been looking
at Porter-Cable as well--ratings for the P-C drills are pretty poor on
Amazon. I've also noticed that neither Lowes nor home Depot seem to
sell much P-C anymore--not sure why, or even whether I think it's a bad
thing. I've never been impressed with Milwaukee cordless tools.

I used to try to buy American, but nothing seems to be made here
anymore, and in the last couple of years I've bought a few Hitachi and
Bosch tools, which have all been excellent, but none of those are
cordless...

I want something fairly lightweight for general purpose drilling and
screwdriving. It'll be used in a shop, so battery life isn't terribly
important, and 3/8" capacity is enough. I don't need a hammer drill. I
do want a good clutch and keyless chuck, and a tool that feels
right--not sure if that comes mostly from balance or materials or what.

I won't say price isn't an object, but I buy tools for the long-haul,
so it's pretty far down on the list of considerations.

Thanks,
Heath

I'm not the professional that others on here are. But I use a cordless
drill fairly frquently. I have a Craftsman, as a gift. I actually
don't mind it. It's worked pretty well.

I research tools a lot and from everything I've read, there are two
that you should consider:

Milwaukee 18 volt Lok-Tor 0622-24
Panasonic 15.6 volt EY6432

This link, will give you some more info:
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/ho...drill-reviews/

These two, get very good reviews. I hope no one flames you! I rely on
places like this, to get good tool advice...not get flamed!

Hope that info helps.

IBM5081

I like this combo with the 2.6 Ah NiMH battery packs.

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...c+11146110 30

I use the impact driver on monthly projects and several of the other
guys want one soon after they try it.

SonomaProducts.com

Well... shame you don't like Milwaukee. They have been getting high
ratings in the reviews lately. They basicially have the highest torque
for the volt size across the catagories. They also have a great chuck.
Plus, I think the new ones also have a reverasable battery so it can
get into some tight spots easier.

I'd say Milwaukee, Festool or DeWalt. Festool has some cool switchable
chucks for offset and right angle, very cool stuff.

Bob in Oregon

Bought the panasonic great drill, tight keyless chuck- batteries that
last a long time. very light too.

Upscale

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
ps.com...
Well... shame you don't like Milwaukee. They have been getting high
ratings in the reviews lately. They basicially have the highest torque
for the volt size across the catagories. They also have a great chuck.

Have to agree. I've an older 12 volt Milwaukee cordless. I had the batteries
rebuilt about a year ago, but aside from that it's always worked great.

Robatoy

In article om,
" wrote:

anybody have suggestions for the
best of the current cordless drills?

I'm in the same boat. My 14.4 Milwaukee is 4+ years old, still going
strong, but the charges don't seem to last as long anymore.
But the service it has given me makes think I would go to them again.
BUT!
Since I bought it, there have been some strides made by other
manufacturers. The big buzz is all about Panasonic these days...however,
Milwaukee just raised the stakes with their VERY expensive 28 volt
system. Expensive like Festool.
I own some Festool gear, but I don't think they're likely to be the best
across the board. Their big router has no equal, IMHO, neither does
their Rotex sander, but that kind of money for a drill?
I own a lot of Milwaukee gear... you can't go wrong with them. (The
Milwaukee's 5616 router is the sweetest small router on the planet,
IMHO.)
IF.. and I repeat IF I am going to drop the big bucks, I'll probably go
with something I know.

Cordless drill...mmmmm
I will likely swallow deeply and do the 28 volt thing.
Unless I get to play with the Panasonic and makes up my mind for me.
There is also a good chance that I am missing some stuff from other
brands, so we'll see.

Good cordless stuff is expensive...that much I know.

Dave Miller

Right now, Festool is closing out a cool D-handle 12V drill for $225.
YOu can also get it with the right angle and eccentric (offset) chucks
for $335. It's not cheap, but considering the weight, power, and 3 year
warranty, 15 minute charging time, and the fact that the basic drill is
approximately the same price as a Panasonic (or most others), I'm
leaning towards Festool to upgrage my BD Firestorm.

wrote:
[...]

Ken Yee

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in
ps.com:

Well... shame you don't like Milwaukee. They have been getting high
ratings in the reviews lately. They basicially have the highest torque
for the volt size across the catagories. They also have a great chuck.

They also just released the first lithium ion batteries for
cordless tools (that I know of).

ken

skeezics

On 26 Apr 2005 14:05:28 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

i have tried em all and honestlt love my panasonic 15.4. use it all
day everyday. hard use. 2 years old and the batteries still hold a
good charge. they are light weight and well ballanced. not quite as
powerfull as some of the others i have used but plenty powerfull for
most uses.

skeez
Mark Cooper

Seems like the talk of the town is Panasonic these days. I've been looking
at them myself.

That's what I'm hearing too...there's a super-high-end tool shop down the
street from me that sells several brands of cordless drill/drivers, and the
word from them was that you couldn't touch Panasonic these days for quality.

I can't say I agree or disagree 'cause I don't own one myself, but that's an
opinion from someone I trust.

J. Clarke

Ken Yee wrote:

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in
ps.com:

Well... shame you don't like Milwaukee. They have been getting high
ratings in the reviews lately. They basicially have the highest torque
for the volt size across the catagories. They also have a great chuck.

They also just released the first lithium ion batteries for
cordless tools (that I know of).

Actually, Dremel has that honor--the latest revision of their cordless has
lithium-ion and it's been out for at least a year.

ken

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

I want something fairly lightweight for general purpose drilling and
screwdriving. It'll be used in a shop, so battery life isn't terribly
important, and 3/8" capacity is enough. I don't need a hammer drill. I
do want a good clutch and keyless chuck, and a tool that feels
right--not sure if that comes mostly from balance or materials or what.

I went to Coastal Tool with the intention of buying a Bosch. Walked out
with a 15.6 volt Panasonic. Feels good in the hand, has plenty of power,
has a chuck that you can tighten or loosen with one hand. Batteries seem to
last forever on a charge.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

I have 6-- 12.00volt PC units that are four years old that we use
everyday here at the school. We use them hard and I have never had any
service problems or had to replace any batteries.

Mike from American Sycamore
www.americansycamoreretreat.com

Larry Jaques

On 26 Apr 2005 14:05:28 -0700, the inscrutable "
spake:

I used to try to buy American, but nothing seems to be made here
anymore, and in the last couple of years I've bought a few Hitachi and
Bosch tools, which have all been excellent, but none of those are
cordless...

I had the chance to try out the Bosch stuff at a Big Blue World Tour
event last Saturday which hosted the Bosch tool truck. I played with
their 12v and 14.4v impact drills and was extremely impressed by their
power. Using the impact meant virtually no pressure against the screw
was needed, making driving a lot of long screws MUCH, MUCH easier.

If I'd had a spare $160, I'd have brought one of the 14.4 volters
home. (The 18v model didn't have any appreciable difference in battery
life but was considerably cha-chingier.) The tool truck had $30-50 off
the sale prices at Diamond Home Center. That put them at about half
that of Panasonic's gilded prices. I didn't look at model numbers 'cuz
I wasn't buying.

I want something fairly lightweight for general purpose drilling and
screwdriving. It'll be used in a shop, so battery life isn't terribly
important, and 3/8" capacity is enough. I don't need a hammer drill. I
do want a good clutch and keyless chuck, and a tool that feels
right--not sure if that comes mostly from balance or materials or what.

You probably can't go wrong with either a Panasonic or Bosch impact
drill/driver.

Do. Or do not. * Stylin' Web Design Services
There is no try. --Yoda * http://www.diversify.com
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 18:31:54 -0400, the inscrutable Robatoy
spake:

In article om,
" wrote:

anybody have suggestions for the
best of the current cordless drills?

I'm in the same boat. My 14.4 Milwaukee is 4+ years old, still going
strong, but the charges don't seem to last as long anymore.
But the service it has given me makes think I would go to them again.
BUT!
Since I bought it, there have been some strides made by other
manufacturers. The big buzz is all about Panasonic these days...however,
Milwaukee just raised the stakes with their VERY expensive 28 volt
system. Expensive like Festool.

After playing with 12-18v Bosch Impactors at the tool fest last
Saturday, I'd opt for a Bosch 14.4 volter. If you see the Big
Blue Truck Tour in your area, go down there. They had $30-50 the
sale prices if you bought that day. The one I looked at was $160
after the discounts. Bosch makes damned nice stuff (at about half
the price of Panasonic.)

My lone question is: How good are their batteries?

Do. Or do not. * Stylin' Web Design Services
There is no try. --Yoda * http://www.diversify.com
Woodchuck34

Heath,

I just bought a Milwaukee last year. First Milwaukee tool I've ever
bought and I got to tell you, I love it. I had a PC 14.4 for a little
over a year when the motor went. Sent it back to be repaired but the
replaced the motor for free. Good service on that one. I was working
on a big project though so I went out and bought the Milwuakee 14.4
based on Wood Mag's reviews. The battery is reversible as someone
mentioned, which does allow you to get into tight spaces, but it also
serves as a counter weight. It sits very comfortably in the hand.
Torque in Wood's test was second to none and I can attest to that. Its
a beast. Battery life is not the best, also jives with Wood's test.
The other thing I love is that the chuck (made of metal by the way) is
tightened with one hand to the right torque.

Started with a Black and Deck, graduated to a Craftsman, then got the
PC. Used others DeWalt, won't give up the Milwaukee anytime soon.

Just in case it helps. Good luck,

Chuck

DanG

Milwaukee 28 volt. Lighter weight, more power, longer run.
This is a professional grade tool for the long haul. This stuff is
new, as in the last few weeks. Saw and used some at a local tool
show last Friday. Impressive.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Bruce Barnett

" writes:

At the risk of starting a flame-war, anybody have suggestions for the
best of the current cordless drills?

On a related note, can anyone recommend a good cordless for $100? My
wife has a budget. :-(

Edwin Pawlowski

"Bruce Barnett" wrote in message

On a related note, can anyone recommend a good cordless for $100? My
wife has a budget. :-(

Depends on what she is going to use it for, at that price a Panasonic 12
volt or maybe a Ryobi. Should last her a few years of home use.

Thomas Kendrick

Is $100 the budget for YOUR drill or YOUR WIFE's drill?
If it's for the wife, I recommend the DeWalt 3/8" corded drill kit for
about $60 everywhere. The batteries won't be dead when she next goes
to use it. Get a 14-guage extension cord to go with it. Plenty
lightweight and plenty of power.

On 27 Apr 2005 03:25:39 GMT, Bruce Barnett
wrote:

" writes:

At the risk of starting a flame-war, anybody have suggestions for the
best of the current cordless drills?

On a related note, can anyone recommend a good cordless for $100? My
wife has a budget. :-(

Robatoy

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

After playing with 12-18v Bosch Impactors at the tool fest last
Saturday, I'd opt for a Bosch 14.4 volter. If you see the Big
Blue Truck Tour in your area, go down there. They had $30-50 the
sale prices if you bought that day. The one I looked at was $160
after the discounts. Bosch makes damned nice stuff (at about half
the price of Panasonic.)

I have had mixed experiences with Bosch products over the years.
Most positive. That Panasonic is awful pricey. ( Maybe trying to get
back some of that 400 million racing budget for that Toyota Formula 1
car?)

My lone question is: How good are their batteries?

That's the rub. In many cases, by the time one needs to replace the
batteries, the models have evolved into different voltages and sizes.
Then what do you do? Buy new batteries and hope the drill itself will
keep running? Cuz if it dies, you're out the money for the batteries.

Makes you wonder if that's the tool-people playing computer-people's
games, eh? Planned- and progressive obsolescence.

I'm going to take my time on this one.

Richard Cline

In article ,
Bruce Barnett wrote:

I have had good success with an 18 V Ryobi for the past four years.
Lots of people bad mouth Ryobi but my experience has been positive.
Previously I had a Craftsman and a Makita and they did not compare.

Dick

On a related note, can anyone recommend a good cordless for $100? My
wife has a budget. :-(

Upscale

"Robatoy" wrote in message news:design-
BUT!
Since I bought it, there have been some strides made by other
manufacturers. The big buzz is all about Panasonic these days...however,
Milwaukee just raised the stakes with their VERY expensive 28 volt
system.

But! How heavy is the thing? All the newer cordless I see have batteries
that are substantially larger than my Milwaukee cordless.

Robatoy

In article ,
"Upscale" wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message news:design-
BUT!
Since I bought it, there have been some strides made by other
manufacturers. The big buzz is all about Panasonic these days...however,
Milwaukee just raised the stakes with their VERY expensive 28 volt
system.

But! How heavy is the thing? All the newer cordless I see have batteries
that are substantially larger than my Milwaukee cordless.

Smaller than comparable 18 volt batteries.
Bruce Barnett

Thomas Kendrick writes:

Is $100 the budget for YOUR drill or YOUR WIFE's drill?

It's a B-Day present for me. And she likes to go to a real store and
pick it up. So I'm looking at Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, etc. and
haven't found anything exceptional. I has a Makita that suddently
died, and I miss a cordless drill.

Right now I'm looking at some Craftsman models. I'm not a contractor.

Prometheus

On 26 Apr 2005 14:05:28 -0700, "
wrote:

At the risk of starting a flame-war, anybody have suggestions for the
best of the current cordless drills? I have a bunch of Dewalt cordless
tools (tried to stay with one brand for battery compatibility, but
they're old enough that I'm willing to consider switching) and a couple
of Makitas. I've been generally happy with both, but I've been looking
at Porter-Cable as well--ratings for the P-C drills are pretty poor on
Amazon. I've also noticed that neither Lowes nor home Depot seem to
sell much P-C anymore--not sure why, or even whether I think it's a bad
thing. I've never been impressed with Milwaukee cordless tools.

I'm still very happy with my DeWalt, and I've put that thing through
hell on more than a few occasions- of course, since you've already got
them, I'm sure you know that for yourself. The only brand I've heard
praised more highly in most professional shops is Bosch, though you
note below that none of those are cordless.

I want something fairly lightweight for general purpose drilling and
screwdriving. It'll be used in a shop, so battery life isn't terribly
important, and 3/8" capacity is enough. I don't need a hammer drill. I
do want a good clutch and keyless chuck, and a tool that feels
right--not sure if that comes mostly from balance or materials or what.

As far as I can tell, the biggest difference between the excellent
ones and the cheaper versions is battery life. If you're not all that
concerned about that, you could probably get away with any of them,
really. Obviously, an little Black and Decker cordless screwdriver
isn't going to work for you, but I can't imagine that there is really
that much difference between the name brands. As I said above, I like
DeWalt, but I also really like my Porter Cable router. Once you get
to a certain point, it's almost more a matter of the color you like
and how well they fit your hand than any real performance issue, IMO.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Prometheus

wrote:

" writes:

At the risk of starting a flame-war, anybody have suggestions for the
best of the current cordless drills?

On a related note, can anyone recommend a good cordless for $100? My
wife has a budget. :-(

Try this one:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...?v=glance&s=hi

(watch the word wrap)

I haven't used it, but I've been impressed with Porter-Cable's
quality. It's only 9.6v, but that may be all you need.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
.HMFIC@1369

I would concur most manufacturers are all variations and knock off's of the
same. It's all the same technology. Being unique and creative and coming out
with the most innovative product isn't always the best for longevity. The
problem with cordless is that they can make rather insignificant changes
glue on a different model ID and sell you the same product virtually every
six months!

"Prometheus" wrote in message
On 26 Apr 2005 14:05:28 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

Bob G.

To be honest the BEST Cordless drill is the drill that
"feels" good in you hand... and is balanced to be used for long
periods of time without causing you to become a weight lifter

I have several cordless...and the one i reach for most of the time is
a 14.4 Milwaukee....my 18 V Dewalt is just too heavy .. BUT it too
has its uses...

The Milwaukee is getting old (at least 5-6 years) and the batteries
are just fine... The DeWalt is only 3-4 years old and its battaries
are also just fine...

Just my opinion

Bob G.
BillyBob

"Prometheus" wrote in message

As far as I can tell, the biggest difference between the excellent
ones and the cheaper versions is battery life.

In a review on cordless drills I read (cannot remember where), there was one
other difference. The cheaper drills used plastic gears and the more
expensive had metal gears. That's not a rebranding issue - that's a real
quality difference.

Bob

I only have experience with DeWalt. Mine is now about two years old and
I am extremely impressed with this tool! My drill is only 12V, but it's
the XRP which I highly recommend (it's definitely more expensive). I
bought an extra battery and charger (total three batteries) before
starting the project of decking my attic. I was drilling some pilot
holes and driving 3" sheetrock screws into the framing with no pilot
holes. It was a four day project and I never needed the extra battery
and charger because one battery would last long enough to charge the
backup. The drill has plenty of power as well, and I like the variable
speed trigger plus three ranges (geared).

I don't know about any other brands, but I have no reason to
experiment. DeWalt has earned my brand loyalty.

For what it's worth, while my house was being built, almost every
single contractor that I saw carried DeWalt tools. They're either great
tools, or they are very good at marketing to the pros.

Tom

Edwin Pawlowski

"Bruce Barnett" wrote in message

It's a B-Day present for me. And she likes to go to a real store and
pick it up. So I'm looking at Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, etc. and
haven't found anything exceptional.

You won't find anything exceptional at stores that cater to mediocrity.
Look for a real industrial supply place. Here in CT we have Coastal Tools.

Scrub

wrote:

On a related note, can anyone recommend a good cordless for $100? My
wife has a budget. :-(

Here's a thought. Start collecting on those unsolicited emails.
That oughta up the budget.

scrub
Patrick Conroy

Bruce Barnett wrote in
:

On a related note, can anyone recommend a good cordless for $100? My
wife has a budget. :-(

I spent $180 or so a few years back for the Milwaukee 14.4V which is
great. About a year ago, there was a Skil 14.4V on closeout at Lowes for
$25, so I took a chance.

Doggone if that's not a nice little drill.
It doesn't have near the torque or finesse of the Milwaukee, and the chuck
is pretty rough, but it's a nice one to have around.

I find myself grabbing it first, for most light duty chores.
So I'd say try a Skil - especially if you can find it for a steal of a deal
price.
Steve Knight

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 21:47:01 GMT, "Jim Bailey"
wrote:

Seems like the talk of the town is Panasonic these days. I've been looking
at them myself.

Panasonic or metabo. it depends on what you want. if you want a the most torque
metabo is the king. it also has cool features like impulse drive and a one
handed chuck.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes