White pine vs. Yellow pine

Old April 22nd 05, 05:41 PM
PVR

Default White pine vs. Yellow pine

I use yellow pine for my construction projects (dividing up the basement)
and hardwoods (red oak, maple) for cabinets, tables. etc. At HD I found
white pine but it was in the hardwood section. It looked much better than
yellow pine. It is also much cheaper than red oak.

How does white pine compare to yellow pine regarding warping? I want to use
white pine in the construction of a wine cabinet. The white pine will be
used for the bottle supports.

Peter

Old April 22nd 05, 06:40 PM
Robert Allison

PVR wrote:

I use yellow pine for my construction projects (dividing up the basement)
and hardwoods (red oak, maple) for cabinets, tables. etc. At HD I found
white pine but it was in the hardwood section. It looked much better than
yellow pine. It is also much cheaper than red oak.

How does white pine compare to yellow pine regarding warping? I want to use
white pine in the construction of a wine cabinet. The white pine will be
used for the bottle supports.

Peter

I don't know about using it in cabinet construction. As far
as the differences go, it has less warping than yellow pine,
but still has a tendency to warp. It is not as strong as
yellow pine structurally. When there is a need for structural
framing, yellow pine is spec'd for its strength. You are not
allowed to substitute white pine.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Old April 22nd 05, 06:47 PM
Jim

I think you're comparing apples to oranges, at best. Both woods can be
fine for a project, but they're completely different. Either will
warp, depending on the cut of the wood, knots etc... Both will cup &
twist, too. I'd have to say that I usually have better luck with
Yellow Pine, it's inherently more stable, being denser, with a longer
grain & is a lot stronger than White, so I'd use the dimensions that
you'll be cutting it to for making a decision. It can split easier
than the White, though. You're back to how the wood is cut & how
you're going to join it & at what dimensions.

Comparing either one to Red Oak or Maple is another kettle of fish.
They're hard woods, the first extremely ring porous & the other is
diffusely porous. All have completely different finishing properties.
How are you planning on finishing it?

Half the battle with any project is picking out the wood. I've gone
with a different species simply because I couldn't get enough of one to
be able to cut out enough good pieces for the amount of money I had to
spend or because the design called for strength that one wood had &
another didn't. Finishing is always a consideration. White Pine
blotches unless you seal it well before staining. Yellow can have
pockets of resin that won't take a stain well. Red Oak needs to be
filled while Maple is usually perfect for staining with almost no work.
Mostly, I like clear finishes because the wood is so pretty anyway.
If you're painting, who cares? You might as well use plastic wood.

Jim

Old April 22nd 05, 09:28 PM
George

"Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think you're comparing apples to oranges, at best. Both woods can be
fine for a project, but they're completely different. Either will
warp, depending on the cut of the wood, knots etc... Both will cup &
twist, too. I'd have to say that I usually have better luck with
Yellow Pine, it's inherently more stable, being denser, with a longer
grain & is a lot stronger than White, so I'd use the dimensions that
you'll be cutting it to for making a decision. It can split easier
than the White, though. You're back to how the wood is cut & how
you're going to join it & at what dimensions.

"Luck" would seem to be the operative word. Eastern white pine, according
to the Forest Products Labs has less radial, and far less tangential
movement that either reds or yellows. That supposedly translates into
"stability." Probably accounts for the popularity of white pine as a
secondary wood.

Old April 22nd 05, 10:05 PM
Jim

I've read the specs & know what I get from the local lumber yard. I
think most of the White Pine we get is cut from younger stuff or
perhaps it's just the sawyers & grading. Looking in the racks, the
Yellow Pine tends to look a lot better over all. Some of the White
Pine is just garbage. You couldn't get a stable 2' piece out half the
8' pieces in the racks. I don't mind over buying & picking some, but
it's gotten ridiculous with White Pine. It also seems to not be dried
as well. last year when I was repairing some facsias, I bought a
bunch, stacked it on the porch neatly & had a bunch of pretzels the
next weekend. I haven't had that problem with the Yellow Pine I've
bought.

Jim

Old April 22nd 05, 10:44 PM
George

"Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've read the specs & know what I get from the local lumber yard. I
think most of the White Pine we get is cut from younger stuff or
perhaps it's just the sawyers & grading. Looking in the racks, the
Yellow Pine tends to look a lot better over all. Some of the White
Pine is just garbage. You couldn't get a stable 2' piece out half the
8' pieces in the racks. I don't mind over buying & picking some, but
it's gotten ridiculous with White Pine. It also seems to not be dried
as well. last year when I was repairing some facsias, I bought a
bunch, stacked it on the porch neatly & had a bunch of pretzels the
next weekend. I haven't had that problem with the Yellow Pine I've
bought.

Amazing. If only we hadn't wasted all that money gathering data from
thousands of tests already....

Old April 22nd 05, 11:45 PM
[email protected]

Jim wrote:
I've read the specs & know what I get from the local lumber yard. I
think most of the White Pine we get is cut from younger stuff or
perhaps it's just the sawyers & grading. Looking in the racks, the
Yellow Pine tends to look a lot better over all. Some of the White
Pine is just garbage. You couldn't get a stable 2' piece out half

the
8' pieces in the racks. I don't mind over buying & picking some, but
it's gotten ridiculous with White Pine. It also seems to not be

dried
as well. last year when I was repairing some facsias, I bought a
bunch, stacked it on the porch neatly & had a bunch of pretzels the
next weekend. I haven't had that problem with the Yellow Pine I've
bought.

Jim

It sounds like your lumberyard not only sells crappy, under dried
lumber, they might also mislabel it as white pine. I find it much more
stable than yellow pine and much more enjoyable to work with. I imagine
it was used in the majority of rustic colonial furniture, their every
day things(spoons, bowls, etc.) as well as in most of the dwellings.
The King of England even glommed onto the best trees for use in his
ships as masts so to use some to hold up some wine bottles would put a
person in pretty good company. You don't even have to worry about the
death penalty anymore if you inadvertantly use some of his stuff.
Conditioner helps when staining. Sam

Old April 23rd 05, 02:05 AM
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 15:28:10 -0400, "George" george@least wrote:

less radial, and far less tangential
movement that either reds or yellows. That supposedly translates into
"stability."

What's "stability" though ? The simple ratio is a guide to the amount
of plain cupping you might get, but it's no real guide to random
twisting. Besides which, random twist is as much a feature of the site
where and position how that individual tree grew, not just the species.

Old April 23rd 05, 11:49 AM
George

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 15:28:10 -0400, "George" george@least wrote:

less radial, and far less tangential
movement that either reds or yellows. That supposedly translates into
"stability."

What's "stability" though ? The simple ratio is a guide to the amount
of plain cupping you might get, but it's no real guide to random
twisting. Besides which, random twist is as much a feature of the site
where and position how that individual tree grew, not just the species.

Don't play the fool for a fool. Stability comes from minimal movement -
period.

The woodworker will have to assume the responsibility of - in the case at
hand - being able to recognize pine in an SPF construction grade pile of
S-dry construction lumber - hint, there isn't any - and know enough about
his raw material to avoid areas of obvious risk.

Oh yes, the definition of "random" hasn't changed. Look it up if you're
having trouble.

Old April 23rd 05, 01:06 PM
PVR

OK, I've gotten much good advice from this group and I'm very grateful. I
will use the white pine for the bottle racks only. I have the cabinets made
already. The racks will not be stained but will be left 'raw.'

The white pine I saw at HD showed little or no sign of warping. Also, most
of it was in the form of 2"x1" and did not appear to be much in demand (ie:
the section was small compared to the other hardwoods). I think I'll proceed
with the white pine for this stage of my project.

Peter