Lisa

Default time for wood floor to cure?

We had the floors refinished--sanded, stained and 2 coats of poly. The
last coat was put on yesterday morning, tomorrow our stuff arrives. The
movers want us to sign a waiver saying they aren't responsible for any
damage to the floor. I guess we have to sign it, but what precautions
can we take (besides not moving the furniture in) to protect the floor?
We're considering putting most things in a back bedroom for another
week or the garage, or putting cardboard under all the furniture legs.
What about boxes? Are they OK to put on the floor? Thanks

WillR

Lisa wrote:
We had the floors refinished--sanded, stained and 2 coats of poly. The
last coat was put on yesterday morning, tomorrow our stuff arrives. The
movers want us to sign a waiver saying they aren't responsible for any
damage to the floor. I guess we have to sign it, but what precautions
can we take (besides not moving the furniture in) to protect the floor?
We're considering putting most things in a back bedroom for another
week or the garage, or putting cardboard under all the furniture legs.
What about boxes? Are they OK to put on the floor? Thanks

cloth booties among other things -- put on at entrance way..

We always laid some temporary rugs at the entrance ways

Station a "police officer" at the entrance to make sure shoes are
removed or booties are worn.

Good luck - glad it ain't my problem.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Rick Frazier

Lisa:

Less than 48 hours from second coat to furniture? Unless they used some
catalyzed polyurethane I'm not aware of, I'd expect to have the furniture
leave marks no matter what you do, and even the scuff marks from the movers
dragging their feet as they are walking on the floor are likely to show.
Movers aren't typically known for treating things gently, particularly
floors, and even if they put down cardboard or fiberboard runways, the
smallest speck of dirt or grit underneath is going to chew a hole in the
new finish.

Unless there is just no way to avoid it, personally, I'd wait at least a
week before moving furniture in, especially if the guys don't have some
incentive for not damaging the floor.

At our last move, there was damage to a redwood deck when one mover decided
he couldn't wait for help and dragged a table across it, and several places
in the living room where another mover dragged something else across a hard
maple floor. Insurance paid a pretty penny to refinish the entire floor,
but the inconvenience of the refinishing was almost more than the value of
the damage...

Be careful out there....

--Rick