X_HOBBES

Default How long should a bandsaw blade last?

I'm about to resaw a bunch of 6"-8" wide Wenge planks (very dense African
wood). I have a brand new Woodslicer blade on my Rigid bandsaw. How long
should I expect the blade to last, assuming I don't torture it in the resaw
operation? Will I be able to cut through about 50 feet of this stuff with
one blade? I'm new to bandsaws, resawing, and Wenge, so I have no idea what
to expect.

Same question goes for my thickness planer -- after resawing, I will need to
plane the planks. Will I need to replace my planer blades halfway through?

Thanks,
X_HOBBES

X_HOBBES wrote:
I'm about to resaw a bunch of 6"-8" wide Wenge planks (very dense African
wood). I have a brand new Woodslicer blade on my Rigid bandsaw. How long
should I expect the blade to last, assuming I don't torture it in the resaw
operation? Will I be able to cut through about 50 feet of this stuff with
one blade? I'm new to bandsaws, resawing, and Wenge, so I have no idea what
to expect.

Same question goes for my thickness planer -- after resawing, I will need to
plane the planks. Will I need to replace my planer blades halfway through?

Thanks,
X_HOBBES

I replaced my dull band saw blade with a brand new never been used
"cheapie" I got from somewhere. Made three cuts and snagged a nail that
I didn't see. So, I got three cuts, maybe 18", altogether. I'm just glad
it was a cheapie blade for a simple cheapie project.

Jenn
Sweet Sawdust

"X_HOBBES" wrote in message
I'm about to resaw a bunch of 6"-8" wide Wenge planks (very dense African
wood). I have a brand new Woodslicer blade on my Rigid bandsaw. How long
should I expect the blade to last, assuming I don't torture it in the

resaw
operation? Will I be able to cut through about 50 feet of this stuff with
one blade? I'm new to bandsaws, resawing, and Wenge, so I have no idea

what
to expect.

Same question goes for my thickness planer -- after resawing, I will need

plane the planks. Will I need to replace my planer blades halfway

through?

Thanks,
X_HOBBES

Gee that is a loaded question. I have band saw blades that I count the

life of in minutes used, 15 mins a great blade, and I have blades that I
count the life of in weeks,
current blade is about 6 wks old and going strong. I use the BS at least 30
mins a day on hard woods. It really depends on what you are doing and what
type of blade you have. Rule of thumb, if you need one blade buy three. On
the planner I have planned about a thousand bd ft of poplar and a few
hundred of maple, oak and others and the knives are still sharp. Rule of
thumb, always have a sharp set of planner and jointer knives handy. If you
only have one BS blade and one set of knives they will only last half way
through any project.

George

"Sweet Sawdust" wrote in message
.. .

"X_HOBBES" wrote in message
[...]

AMEN. Murphy says, and we should listen.

Since none of the woods listed is a known blade-duller like teak, for
instance, and hopefully they haven't been stored exposed to wind and sand,
you'll cut all of it if you have a spare blade on hand, considerably less if
you don't.

FWIW, I keep my spare jointer and planer blades in synch, because it takes a
bit of fussing to set up the Makita for sharpening, and that Hibernian
caught me making setup and cleaning for one set a couple of times before I
got smarter. One dull, both change, both sharpen.

Thomas D. Ireland

I have been reading up on this subject lately and from what I could find
out a narrow kerf bandaw blade should get you from 300' to 500' per blade.
Very dense African wood should go through a blade every 300' or so I would
think. Hope this helps!

Tom

X_HOBBES ) wrote:
: I'm about to resaw a bunch of 6"-8" wide Wenge planks (very dense African
: wood). I have a brand new Woodslicer blade on my Rigid bandsaw. How long
: should I expect the blade to last, assuming I don't torture it in the resaw
: operation? Will I be able to cut through about 50 feet of this stuff with
: one blade? I'm new to bandsaws, resawing, and Wenge, so I have no idea what
: to expect.

: Same question goes for my thickness planer -- after resawing, I will need to
: plane the planks. Will I need to replace my planer blades halfway through?

: Thanks,
: X_HOBBES

X_HOBBES

All great advice.

Thanks everyone for the great responses! Now go cut a big stick into little
sticks and glue them back up as big stick again! =-)

I need to order a few spare blades. =-P

X_HOBBES

X_HOBBES ) wrote:
: I'm about to resaw a bunch of 6"-8" wide Wenge planks (very dense

African
: wood). I have a brand new Woodslicer blade on my Rigid bandsaw. How

long
: should I expect the blade to last, assuming I don't torture it in the

resaw
: operation? Will I be able to cut through about 50 feet of this stuff

with
: one blade? I'm new to bandsaws, resawing, and Wenge, so I have no idea

what
: to expect.

: Same question goes for my thickness planer -- after resawing, I will

need to
: plane the planks. Will I need to replace my planer blades halfway

through?

: Thanks,
: X_HOBBES

Hax Planks

Thomas D. Ireland says...

I have been reading up on this subject lately and from what I could find
out a narrow kerf bandaw blade should get you from 300' to 500' per blade.
Very dense African wood should go through a blade every 300' or so I would
think. Hope this helps!

Tom

Seems like you would want to cut those expectations in half for most
tropicals.
Thomas D. Ireland

Possibly, I guess experience will be the best teacher!

Tom

: Thomas D. Ireland says...

:
: Tom

: Seems like you would want to cut those expectations in half for most
: tropicals.

Hax Planks

Thomas D. Ireland says...

Possibly, I guess experience will be the best teacher!

I have some Jatoba I've been avoiding resawing. David Marks compared it
to oak on one of his recent airings. Hah. I wish it was like oak,
because I would buy it like it was going out of style. It's a gorgeous
wood and I love just about every tropical I ever saw, but my tool
spending passed the critical point a while back.