ben

Default where to buy pipe clamps?

None of the borg stores seem to have them... and I'd rather use someone
else anyway.

What's a good brand/store for pipe clamps? Online or in NYC.

Not clamps to hold pipes but clamps that attach to pipes to clamp
wood/furniture/etc with.

-Ben

Bob Schmall

"ben" wrote in message
ups.com...
None of the borg stores seem to have them... and I'd rather use someone
else anyway.

What's a good brand/store for pipe clamps? Online or in NYC.

Not clamps to hold pipes but clamps that attach to pipes to clamp
wood/furniture/etc with.

-Ben

Ben:
Jorgensons are the classic ones--orange, in 1/2" or 3/4" diameter. I used
them for years until Rockler came out with improved blue ones that are
higher to clear the crank and wider to be much more stable. Either brand
works just fine, I just find the Rockler to be more user-friendly.
Sources are Amazon.com, Rockler.com or Woodcraft.com. Expect to pay $10-14
per pair plus shipping. Or you can get them at many hardware stores, Rockler
or Woodcraft.
Bob

Duane Bozarth

ben wrote:

None of the borg stores seem to have them... and I'd rather use someone
else anyway.

What's a good brand/store for pipe clamps? Online or in NYC.

Not clamps to hold pipes but clamps that attach to pipes to clamp
wood/furniture/etc with.

Can't imagine the Jorgensen or a Chinwanese knockoff aren't in stock at
any of the Borg's, but...

Rockler is what I would recommend as best buy.
John

Either the Pony brand pipe clamp fittings or the Rockler big foot are
both good clamps. Do a Google Search or go direct to Rockler

Beware of CHEAP ones, they are usually POS. Pony clamps run around
$10 and I don't remember what Rockler wants for theirs

John

On 19 Apr 2005 10:09:29 -0700, "ben" wrote:

None of the borg stores seem to have them... and I'd rather use someone
else anyway.

What's a good brand/store for pipe clamps? Online or in NYC.

Not clamps to hold pipes but clamps that attach to pipes to clamp
wood/furniture/etc with.

-Ben

Max

"ben" wrote in message
ups.com...
None of the borg stores seem to have them... and I'd rather use someone
else anyway.

What's a good brand/store for pipe clamps? Online or in NYC.

Not clamps to hold pipes but clamps that attach to pipes to clamp
wood/furniture/etc with.

-Ben

I had a rather large number of Jorgensen clamps that I gradually replaced
with the ones from Rockler.
Jorgensen clamps can be had for less than $10.00 pr. while the Rockler ones
are $11.49 (4 or more).
It was worth it to me.

Max D.

Bob Schmall

"Max" wrote in message
. ..

"ben" wrote in message
ups.com...
None of the borg stores seem to have them... and I'd rather use someone
else anyway.

What's a good brand/store for pipe clamps? Online or in NYC.

Not clamps to hold pipes but clamps that attach to pipes to clamp
wood/furniture/etc with.

-Ben

I had a rather large number of Jorgensen clamps that I gradually replaced
with the ones from Rockler.
Jorgensen clamps can be had for less than $10.00 pr. while the Rockler
ones are $11.49 (4 or more).
It was worth it to me.

Max D.

And to me. Ben if you're listening, ping me. I have four Jorgenson "Pony"
clamps for sale--cheap, but watch that shipping cost. They're heavy.

Bob

B a r r y

ben wrote:
None of the borg stores seem to have them... and I'd rather use someone
else anyway.

What's a good brand/store for pipe clamps? Online or in NYC.

Not clamps to hold pipes but clamps that attach to pipes to clamp
wood/furniture/etc with.

-Ben

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/clamps_vises/pony/pipe_clamp.htm?L+coastest+jgjn1234fff3baf3+1113973 731

I don't work there.

Barry
dadiOH

ben wrote:
None of the borg stores seem to have them... and I'd rather use
someone else anyway.

What's a good brand/store for pipe clamps? Online or in NYC.

Apparently, other responders don't like cheap clamps. I do, have had
zero problems with any from Harbor Freight, like them as well or better
than the Pony clams I have.

Don't forget you have to buy pipe too. And have at least one end
threaded.

Most of mine are for 3/4" pipe. Mistake, IMO, as 1/2" is entirely
adequate for what I do and are world's lighter.

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Duane Bozarth

Upscale wrote:
Would also suggest buying black pipe. If one insists on going cheap with the
galvanized steel pipe, then it needs to be scratched up with some rough
sandpaper or equivalent to work properly with the clamps.

Galvanized is normally higher-priced than black...but agree it's more
suited for clamps.
Duane Bozarth

dadiOH wrote:
Apparently, other responders don't like cheap clamps. I do, have had
zero problems with any from Harbor Freight, like them as well or better
than the Pony clams I have.

I can believe that...I've never been particularly pleased w/ Pony
ones...

Most of mine are for 3/4" pipe. Mistake, IMO, as 1/2" is entirely
adequate for what I do and are world's lighter.

I'd disagree there...the flexing of 1/2" pipe even for cabinet work of
moderate size is a pita...

If everything were really light work, 1/2" might do, but in general I
think they're too light weight/flex too much...

SonomaProducts.com

Galv reacts "less" with glue. Black pipe will stain if left in contact
with wet glue/wood.

Tim Douglass

On 19 Apr 2005 10:09:29 -0700, "ben" wrote:

None of the borg stores seem to have them... and I'd rather use someone
else anyway.

What's a good brand/store for pipe clamps? Online or in NYC.

Not clamps to hold pipes but clamps that attach to pipes to clamp
wood/furniture/etc with.

Others will disagree, but I get the 3/4" clamps from Harbor Freight
and they have worked great for me. Just make sure you get the ones
that have the disk clutch rather then the little toothed quadrant.

These:

Not these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3814

The latter just don't grip reliably, but the others work fine.

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Dave Hall

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 18:44:56 GMT, "dadiOH" wrote:

ben wrote:
None of the borg stores seem to have them... and I'd rather use
someone else anyway.

What's a good brand/store for pipe clamps? Online or in NYC.

Apparently, other responders don't like cheap clamps. I do, have had
zero problems with any from Harbor Freight, like them as well or better
than the Pony clams I have.

Don't forget you have to buy pipe too. And have at least one end
threaded.

Most of mine are for 3/4" pipe. Mistake, IMO, as 1/2" is entirely
adequate for what I do and are world's lighter.

I agree. I have a number of different pipe clamps and the HF are as
good as any (I don't have the new Rocklers though). I disagree on the
1/2" pipe clamps though. They are not as nice and just about as
expensive. If I were going to pay $12 a set for pipe clamps plus the
pipes, I think I would just go ahead and buy the cabinet clamps...

Seriously though, the HFs, on sale all the time for maybe $3 or $4,
are fine for pipe clamps. I always get my pipe threaded on both ends
as the real value of a pipe clamp is the ability to make it as long as
you want by adding sections of pipe.

Dave Hall
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 18:44:56 GMT, the inscrutable "dadiOH"
spake:

ben wrote:
None of the borg stores seem to have them... and I'd rather use
someone else anyway.

What's a good brand/store for pipe clamps? Online or in NYC.

Apparently, other responders don't like cheap clamps. I do, have had
zero problems with any from Harbor Freight, like them as well or better
than the Pony clams I have.

I made a comment a few years back about the cheap clamps I bought
from HF. I thought they were HF because it took a dozen runs through
to get the threads cleaned up enough to work without binding each
rotation. That's PFTC for cheapies. Then one day I noticed the name on
the side of one and was surprised. It was a Pony. AFAIC, there is no
difference between Pony and generic Chiwanese clamps nowadays.

Don't forget you have to buy pipe too. And have at least one end
threaded.

BUT, if you get both ends threaded (and keep them safe) you can join
pairs of them together to make very long clamps.

Most of mine are for 3/4" pipe. Mistake, IMO, as 1/2" is entirely
adequate for what I do and are world's lighter.

Ditto here. I'm buying all half-inchers from now on.

Save the Whales + http://www.diversify.com
Collect the whole set! + Website design and graphics
Duane Bozarth

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

Galv reacts "less" with glue. Black pipe will stain if left in contact
with wet glue/wood.

But galvanized tends w/ many clamps to not hold well...

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

As much as I hate their company/stores, Rockler has some nice pipe clamps.
I particularly like their version that sit taller than most others (read:
no more banged knuckles!)
Cheers,
cc

"ben" wrote in message
ups.com...
None of the borg stores seem to have them... and I'd rather use someone
else anyway.

What's a good brand/store for pipe clamps? Online or in NYC.

Not clamps to hold pipes but clamps that attach to pipes to clamp
wood/furniture/etc with.

-Ben

Tom Kohlman

Who get's Pony 3/4's at $10???...haven't seen that price anywhere for years
(running around $14/ea in NY area)...newer ones don't seem to be anywhere
near as user friendly as the ones I bought 20 years ago (new ones seem to
have a binding problem which can be a real issue when using multiple clamps
and the glue is setting up!).

Guess I'll check out a few Rocklers. BTW, black pipe is the way to
go...buy in 10'ft lengths threaded both ends and cut in the middle to make 2
out of one. Pipe is cheap.

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
As much as I hate their company/stores, Rockler has some nice pipe clamps.
I particularly like their version that sit taller than most others (read:
no more banged knuckles!)
Cheers,
cc

"ben" wrote in message
ups.com...
None of the borg stores seem to have them... and I'd rather use someone
else anyway.

What's a good brand/store for pipe clamps? Online or in NYC.

Not clamps to hold pipes but clamps that attach to pipes to clamp
wood/furniture/etc with.

-Ben

Lobby Dosser

Tim Douglass wrote:

On 19 Apr 2005 10:09:29 -0700, "ben" wrote:

None of the borg stores seem to have them... and I'd rather use
someone else anyway.

What's a good brand/store for pipe clamps? Online or in NYC.

Not clamps to hold pipes but clamps that attach to pipes to clamp
wood/furniture/etc with.

Others will disagree, but I get the 3/4" clamps from Harbor Freight
and they have worked great for me. Just make sure you get the ones
that have the disk clutch rather then the little toothed quadrant.

These:

And wait till they go on sale for $2.49, or less, as they do frequently.

Not these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3814

The latter just don't grip reliably, but the others work fine.

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin...
oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Max

"Tom Kohlman" wrote in message
Who get's Pony 3/4's at $10???...haven't seen that price anywhere for
years (running around $14/ea in NY area)...

Amazon.com, (Tool Crib) $9.99

Max D.

B a r r y

Tom Kohlman wrote:
Who get's Pony 3/4's at $10???...haven't seen that price anywhere for years
(running around $14/ea in NY area)..

3/4 inchers @ $9.25, every day, right up the street in CT:

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/clamps_vises/pony/pipe_clamp.htm?L+coastest+rgtd4329ff447244+1114040 449

Barry
Phisherman

I bought mine at K-Mart. They had exactly what I was looking for:
one-inch Pony pipe clamps. These are very good quality at a low
price, but stick with the 1" size, not the smaller. Since then I've
purchased Bessey (made in Germany) K-body clamps, but I still use the
Pony pipe clamps on occasion. Do yourself a favor and stay away from
cheap clamps typically made in Asian countries. Thumbs up to clamps
made in the USA--they are all very good. There are a few
frustrations working with pipe clamps (black staining, crank hits what
you are trying to clamp, uneven pressure, marring, etc) but there are
ways to deal with it.

On 19 Apr 2005 10:09:29 -0700, "ben" wrote:

None of the borg stores seem to have them... and I'd rather use someone
else anyway.

What's a good brand/store for pipe clamps? Online or in NYC.

Not clamps to hold pipes but clamps that attach to pipes to clamp
wood/furniture/etc with.

-Ben

Duane Bozarth

Phisherman wrote:

I bought mine at K-Mart. They had exactly what I was looking for:
one-inch Pony pipe clamps. These are very good quality at a low
price, but stick with the 1" size, not the smaller. ...

Surely you mean 3/4"??? I've never seen a 1" Pony pipe clamp and the
pipe would be really heavy...

But, I agree w/ 3/4 over 1/2...