Brian

Default Parts for OLD craftsman table saw

I've been given an early 1950s Craftsman/Emerson Electric Co. Model#
113 27520 table saw. It runs, but the cranks are broken, it has no
stand and the table is a little on the small side. What can I do to
increase the table size, and will a newer Craftsman stand work with
such an old saw? Where can I find replacement cranks? Is it worth
anything if I try to sell it to get a newer saw? I really only use it
for construction projects, ripping trim molding and playwood, that kind
of thing.

Thanks-
Brian

Brian

That would be PLYwood of course, not PLAYwood :-)

Leuf

On 18 Apr 2005 16:06:57 -0700, "Brian" wrote:

I've been given an early 1950s Craftsman/Emerson Electric Co. Model#
113 27520 table saw. It runs, but the cranks are broken, it has no
stand and the table is a little on the small side.

When you say the cranks are broken, do you mean the handle or the
mechanism?

What can I do to increase the table size

You can build an extension to one side, and an outfeed table behind
it.

, and will a newer Craftsman stand work with
such an old saw?

Build your own out of plywood, make it large enough to support your
extension. You can then store all your table saw related stuff under
the saw.

Where can I find replacement cranks?

Sears does have parts, but for the old stuff it's generally just the
basic hardware and electrical stuff that they still have. If it's
just the handle, you can probably find something more recent that has
the same size shaft. In the meantime, a pair of locking pliers...

Is it worth
anything if I try to sell it to get a newer saw?

Think about it. The expensive parts of a saw are a) the cast iron b)
the motor c) the fence if it's a good one. If you've got a working
motor and a flat top, even if it's a little small, and you can resolve
the other issues then buying a good fence for it will make it out
perform anything you could buy without spending a lot more money.

-Leuf
Brian

When you say the cranks are broken, do you mean the handle or the
mechanism?

Yes, the handles themselves. Plus all the locks/gears/etc seem to have
a lot of play, I think this TS has been pretty heavily used.

JeffB

Brian wrote:

I've been given an early 1950s Craftsman/Emerson Electric Co. Model# 113
27520 table saw. It runs, but the cranks are broken, it has no stand and the
table is a little on the small side. What can I do to increase the table
size,

You can build side and outfeed table extensions, or extension wings may still be
available. Your model number turns up parts listings at the Sears parts ordering
page.

and will a newer Craftsman stand work with such an old saw?

Not likely.

Where can I find replacement cranks?

Through Sears parts - on mine the handwheels were there, but not the crank
handles. Instead of buying replacements, I made a little handle - 1" dowel about
6" long with a 1/4" metal rod epoxied into the end:
__________________
| |____
| ____|
|__________________|

much cheaper.

Is it worth anything if I try to sell it to get a newer saw? I really only
use it for construction projects, ripping trim molding and playwood, that
kind of thing.

Thanks- Brian

If it works, you're better off keeping it - I don't think it would sell for
much. The castings were heavy duty back then. If the bearings are worn, they can
be replaced. I got a better miter gauge and fence, though. There are a couple
pictures of mine at http://home.san.rr.com/jeffnann/Wood...odWorking.html
--
JeffB
remove no.spam. to email

Brian

JeffB wrote:
Brian wrote:

I've been given an early 1950s Craftsman/Emerson Electric Co.

Model# 113
27520 table saw. It runs, but the cranks are broken, it has no

stand and the
table is a little on the small side. What can I do to increase the

table
size,

You can build side and outfeed table extensions, or extension wings

may still be
available. Your model number turns up parts listings at the Sears

parts ordering
page.

and will a newer Craftsman stand work with such an old saw?

Not likely.

Where can I find replacement cranks?

Through Sears parts - on mine the handwheels were there, but not the

crank
handles. Instead of buying replacements, I made a little handle - 1"

dowel about
6" long with a 1/4" metal rod epoxied into the end:
__________________
| |____
| ____|
|__________________|

much cheaper.

Is it worth anything if I try to sell it to get a newer saw? I

really only
use it for construction projects, ripping trim molding and

playwood, that
kind of thing.

Thanks- Brian

If it works, you're better off keeping it - I don't think it would

sell for
much. The castings were heavy duty back then. If the bearings are

worn, they can
be replaced. I got a better miter gauge and fence, though. There are

a couple
pictures of mine at

http://home.san.rr.com/jeffnann/Wood...odWorking.html
--
JeffB
remove no.spam. to email

Thanks JeffB, what you've done with your saw is very impressive! If
it's not too much trouble can you take a couple detailed pictures of
the saw and email them to me? That fence system looks great; where did
you get it?

Thanks-
Brian

Jim Polaski

In article . com,
"Brian" wrote:

I've been given an early 1950s Craftsman/Emerson Electric Co. Model#
113 27520 table saw. It runs, but the cranks are broken, it has no
stand and the table is a little on the small side. What can I do to
increase the table size, and will a newer Craftsman stand work with
such an old saw? Where can I find replacement cranks? Is it worth
anything if I try to sell it to get a newer saw? I really only use it
for construction projects, ripping trim molding and playwood, that kind
of thing.

Thanks-
Brian

I have an early 1950's Craftsman TS and it's still rock solid. The worst
part is the old fence which just requires careful adjustment.

If I remember correctly, at that time Craftsman saws were made by
Emerson which I think is in St. Louis though I'm not sure.

I bought mine for $200 in 89-90 or so. A gentlemen had put it in a sale
paper. I went to look and he had a passel of other stuff as well.. Turns
out I got the TS, Craftsman King-Seeley BS and a Walker-Turner Wood
Lathe for $600. He had made stands for each, all with switches and
motors. He also crafted extension tables for the TS since he was a
steelworker/welder. All in all a decent buy. Worst part was the band
saw, which is more or less minimal. But i'd have a hard time getting rid
of the TS.

--
Regards,
JP

parts needed for Delta Table Saw USENET READER Woodworking 3 March 23rd 05 09:38 PM
parts needed for Delta Table Saw USENET READER Home Repair 3 March 23rd 05 09:38 PM
router/outfeed table; previously charted territory? Silvan Woodworking 7 January 18th 05 04:20 PM
Craftsman table saw Woodworking 16 July 29th 04 04:16 PM
General International Table Saw Dimensions Bruce Woodworking 8 February 22nd 04 04:53 AM