Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Segmented Birch Bowl, text & photo 1

I tried to post this yesterday, but it blew up, or just never made it so
here goes again. This is a segmented bowl I made with some birch from
Haines (about 80 miles north). It was air dried for about 30 years I'm
told. The bowl also has a little bit of cherry and walnut of no
significant pedigree.

The finish is Formby's Tung Oil Finish. Size is just under a foot in
diameter.

--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska

Attached Thumbnails
Segmented Birch Bowl, text & photo 1-birch-bowl-1b-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Kevin Miller" wrote in message
I tried to post this yesterday, but it blew up, or just never made it so
here goes again. This is a segmented bowl I made with some birch from
Haines (about 80 miles north). It was air dried for about 30 years I'm
told. The bowl also has a little bit of cherry and walnut of no
significant pedigree.

The finish is Formby's Tung Oil Finish. Size is just under a foot in
diameter.

--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
In a recent survey, 7 out of 10 hard drives preferred Linux
Registered Linux User No: 307357, http://counter.li.org

Very nice. Any photos of the original glue up?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Kevin Miller wrote:
I tried to post this yesterday, but it blew up, or just never made it so
here goes again. This is a segmented bowl I made with some birch from
Haines (about 80 miles north). It was air dried for about 30 years I'm

snip
When I read this my first thought was, "I've been there!". But on
second thought it was Haines Junction, YK that I spent a night in.

Nice work, and a lot of work too, I'll bet. Never had the gumption to
make a segmented bowl.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Acting without thinking can be awfully
entertaining.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I tried to post this yesterday, but it blew up, or just never made it so
here goes again. This is a segmented bowl I made with some birch from
Haines (about 80 miles north). It was air dried for about 30 years I'm
told. The bowl also has a little bit of cherry and walnut of no
significant pedigree.

The finish is Formby's Tung Oil Finish. Size is just under a foot in
diameter.

Kevin Miller

Very nice work Kevin. I have not yet tried segmentation. Most of the
segmented work our club has done has left me wanting for better. But I
have seen some really interesting southwestern designs done with
segmentation. Anyway looks great, keep it up!

`Casper
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Very nice. Any photos of the original glue up?

As in before I turned it? Nope. But I'm making a couple more out of
teak. I can photograph them as I go and post. Any particular aspect
you're interested in? I presume the scallops...

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Casper wrote:

Very nice work Kevin. I have not yet tried segmentation. Most of the
segmented work our club has done has left me wanting for better. But I
have seen some really interesting southwestern designs done with
segmentation. Anyway looks great, keep it up!

Thanks. It seems it can be really nice or really funky. My work to
date has been pretty simple compared to the a lot of the SW design stuff
out there. I hope to get more complicated but it takes a lot of time!
Even simpler designs can be pleasing though, and I think the scalloped
walnut works pretty well. Clean, simple accent IMHO.

One of the things I've noticed is that sometimes folks will try to rely
on the segmentation to carry the piece. To work, it needs to also have
a pleasing shape. Without that, it's just lipstick on a pig as the
saying goes. Usually I'm happy with the form. Not always. One book
that really helped me was Raffan's "Turned Bowl Design".

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
In a recent poll, seven out of ten hard drives preferred Linux.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Gerald Ross wrote:
Kevin Miller wrote:
I tried to post this yesterday, but it blew up, or just never made it so
here goes again. This is a segmented bowl I made with some birch from
Haines (about 80 miles north). It was air dried for about 30 years I'm

snip

When I read this my first thought was, "I've been there!". But on second
thought it was Haines Junction, YK that I spent a night in.

Not far from there - maybe 40 miles up the road, but on the Yukon side
of the border. Been through Haines Junction many a time. Nice little town.

Nice work, and a lot of work too, I'll bet. Never had the gumption to
make a segmented bowl.

They're fun if you have the time. Most of us have the little odds and
ends of scrap pieces! More are in the works...

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
In a recent poll, seven out of ten hard drives preferred Linux.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Kevin Miller" wrote in message
mmunications...
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Very nice. Any photos of the original glue up?

As in before I turned it? Nope. But I'm making a couple more out of
teak. I can photograph them as I go and post. Any particular aspect
you're interested in? I presume the scallops...

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
In a recent poll, seven out of ten hard drives preferred Linux.

Scallops, yes, but it would be interesting to see the process.
Thanks.