Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Rockler Murphy bed

I finally finished the Murphy bed. Did a test sleep last night - good
results :-)

Attached Thumbnails
Rockler Murphy bed-img_2035_sm-jpg  Rockler Murphy bed-img_2036_sm-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Doug Winterburn wrote:

I finally finished the Murphy bed. Did a test sleep last night - good
results :-)

Very nice.

Rob Leatham

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I finally finished the Murphy bed. Did a test sleep last night - good
results :-) Doug Winterburn

Really nice job. We've been thinking for years of building one of
those; someday we will. Hope it gives you many years of service.
`Casper
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
I finally finished the Murphy bed. Did a test sleep last night - good
results :-)

Very nice Doug.

I have a few questions. I have been in the process of building all new
master bed room furniture for our home. I started off with 2 night stands
that I refer to as towers, one on each side of the head of the bed. They
are about 1/8" short of being the height of a door way. I just completed
the under bed storage except for the 18 drawers that will accomplish the
storage and I have finished 90% of the head and foot boards. All pieces are
being used now.

Now to the question. I plan to put a "light bridge" between the two towers
similar to what you have done. Did you research lighting placement or type
of lighting? How does your lighting placement work out for you, is it good
enough to read by? Can you control each light individually, can you dim
each light?

Thanks

Leon

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

I used the Rockler Murphy Bed light set - about $70 and just followed
the instructions for placement.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...31965&pn=31965

To place, I drew a center line dividing the two sides, then drew an "X"
on each side from corners and ends of centerline. Plan called for a
2-7/8" hole for the fixtures, but a 3" hole saw worked fine.

It has a touch dimmer with three light levels + off. The one controller
controls both lights. You may be able to spot the brass knob on top of
the headboard. It's plenty of light to read by in the medium and high
settings. Just a touch on the knob goes from off to low to medium to
high to off again with each touch. I suppose you could see if Rockler
would sell the controller separately if you wanted individual controls.
They did send two control knobs which was kind of strange as there is
only one control wire. Each light has a male and female plug to string
more than one - up to six of the eyeball light fixtures. The cable from
the controller is in a groove from floor to the top of the unit on the
back edge of one vertical, and the control knob wire runs in a groove up
the middle of the headboard.

Mine is a queen size - 60" wide and I think one light on a side would
spill a lot of light to the other side, so I'm not sure it would be
worth the trouble of individual controls unless you find a fixture with
a narrower light spread.

The bookcase lights, which I didn't install as I didn't go with glass
shelving, have a push switch that mounts in the top of each bookcase.

- Doug

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Doug Winterburn wrote:

I finally finished the Murphy bed. Did a test sleep last night - good
results :-)

Very nice.

Thanks, Mark.

- Doug
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Casper wrote:
I finally finished the Murphy bed. Did a test sleep last night - good
results :-) Doug Winterburn

Really nice job. We've been thinking for years of building one of
those; someday we will. Hope it gives you many years of service.
`Casper

Thanks, Casper. I've checked this one off my bucket list :-)

- Doug
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thank you Doug!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Doug Winterburn wrote in news:g1DSm.41363
:

I finally finished the Murphy bed. Did a test sleep last night - good
results :-)

Beautiful!!

I'm in the process of making a twin, horizontal style for my grandson. I
do have to find a coverup for my errors, though. I measured thrice and cut
each hole for the legs just once, except I easured in the wrong direction,
now there are 2 extra holes. I hope to find a couple of patterns from the
"Cars" movie to make coverups. Grandson is just about besotted of that
movie. Will have to make the patterns so they can be exchanged for
something else later in his life ... More pictures to follow later. The
Rocler bed kit (see also the create-a-bed.com site) is very nice, so far,
brain problems excepted.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Han wrote:
Doug Winterburn wrote in news:g1DSm.41363
:

I finally finished the Murphy bed. Did a test sleep last night - good
results :-)

Beautiful!!

I'm in the process of making a twin, horizontal style for my grandson. I
do have to find a coverup for my errors, though. I measured thrice and cut
each hole for the legs just once, except I easured in the wrong direction,
now there are 2 extra holes. I hope to find a couple of patterns from the
"Cars" movie to make coverups. Grandson is just about besotted of that
movie. Will have to make the patterns so they can be exchanged for
something else later in his life ... More pictures to follow later. The
Rocler bed kit (see also the create-a-bed.com site) is very nice, so far,
brain problems excepted.

Thanks, Han. I was able to hide/disguise most of my oops. Fortunately,
most were minor.

- Doug

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Indeed very nice. I made this same bed and wish it had one other featu an
automatic off switch for the lights when the bed is raised. In a hurry one
day I left the lights on. I'm thankful I didn't burn the house down. Made
sad work of my footboard...

--
Patrick Fischer
Olalla, WA

Murphy Bed Chris W Woodworking 4 August 6th 06 10:50 PM
MURPHY BED - PDF J T Woodworking 2 March 2nd 06 01:10 AM
MURPHY BED J T Woodworking 2 August 29th 05 01:55 PM
murphy bed? rosie read n' post Home Ownership 3 April 7th 05 05:27 PM
Murphy Bed Done Mike Coonrod Woodworking 5 November 11th 03 01:26 PM