Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Idle Hands

After 45+ years of a 2 pack/day smoking I finally decided to kick the
habit. I needed something to do with my hands while I was going through
the withdrawal stages and decided to attempt chip carving a recipe box
for SWBO to keep distracted from the urge to smoke. Many mistakes but
most lost within the design. Dimensions are roughly 7"W x 10"D x 5"H.
Top is cherry, sides basswood. Finish is 5 coats wipe on BLO/poly finish.

Attached Thumbnails
Idle Hands-boxrightfront-jpg  Idle Hands-boxleftrear-jpg  Idle Hands-boxtop-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Lovely work. You should stop smoking more often.

Tom

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

oldhippiedave wrote:

After 45+ years of a 2 pack/day smoking I finally decided to kick the
habit. I needed something to do with my hands while I was going through
the withdrawal stages and decided to attempt chip carving a recipe box
for SWBO to keep distracted from the urge to smoke. Many mistakes but
most lost within the design. Dimensions are roughly 7"W x 10"D x 5"H.
Top is cherry, sides basswood. Finish is 5 coats wipe on BLO/poly finish.

Wow! That is some intricate detail. Good on you for quitting the habit.
Even better on you for the great craftsmanship in that carving.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 20:04:44 -0500, oldhippiedave
wrote:

After 45+ years of a 2 pack/day smoking I finally decided to kick the
habit. I needed something to do with my hands while I was going through
the withdrawal stages and decided to attempt chip carving a recipe box
for SWBO to keep distracted from the urge to smoke. Many mistakes but
most lost within the design. Dimensions are roughly 7"W x 10"D x 5"H.
Top is cherry, sides basswood. Finish is 5 coats wipe on BLO/poly finish.

OK, given the date on the top I have to asume either that

a. It took a REALLLLY long time to make if that is the date it was
started OR

b. If that is SWMBOs birthday that you are a REALLLLLLY lucky guy!!!

;-)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 01:04:44 +0000, oldhippiedave wrote
(in article ):

After 45+ years of a 2 pack/day smoking I finally decided to kick the
habit. I needed something to do with my hands while I was going through
the withdrawal stages and decided to attempt chip carving a

cigarette box....

Luvverly job. Clever hands, Patience of a saint etc. A set of Alice B. Toklas
recipe cards should start it off as treat :-)

Idle Hands Upscale Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 February 7th 09 01:14 AM
idle drier pondering z Home Repair 15 September 26th 06 06:40 PM
Work for Idle Hands Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 21 April 21st 06 08:10 PM
VFD idle power use Karl Townsend Metalworking 12 August 29th 05 04:02 PM
Lawnmower idle question spongehead Electronics Repair 43 May 28th 05 07:24 AM