Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Top-Cote

Is this the right stuff to protect the tablesaw cast-iron

--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.

Attached Thumbnails
Top-Cote-31pgteyr6gl__sl500_aa150_-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

asmurff wrote:
Is this the right stuff to protect the tablesaw cast-iron

I live up in the Canadian prairies, so humidity isn't usually an issue.
Topcote works fine up here and is great for making things slippery.

For rust protection, Boeshield T-9 is supposed to be better. (See my
post in the "tablesaw purchase assembled" thread.

Chris

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 17:12:20 -0600, "asmurff" wrote:

I live in New Mexico and at this minute the humidity is 5%

20% here, but in a few months it will be as high as 90% some mornings..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"asmurff" wrote in message
Is this the right stuff to protect the tablesaw cast-iron

--
Mike

It has worked for me

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"asmurff" wrote in message
Is this the right stuff to protect the tablesaw cast-iron

--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.
If ya didn't see it, ya didn't feel it.
If ya see it, it didn't go off.
Old Air Force Munitions Saying
IYAAYAS

Yes it is. A little extra something here. Top Cote was developed about 20
years ago and was bought out by Bostik. The original developer of TopCote
is now called Empire Products and their products usually can be found at the
same places selling TopCote.

I have tried Boshield T-9 and IMHO in a humid environment like Houston, it
is better than nothing. My brand new saw top rusted the first night after
having applied Boeshield T-9. Too much trouble IMHO as to get enough on the
surface to protect, it requires removal before use of the saw. TopCote and
Empire are made for this purpose and to have wood used on the surface it
protects. Boeshield was developed to protect against rust and corrosion and
the more the better, on exterior airplane parts this is OK. In a less
humid environment I am sure Boeshild T-9 does a good job.

Keep in mind that TopCote and Empire work best if you apply at least 2 coats
to begin with and then you are good to go with a single touch up now and
again. TopCote indicates to spray on and let dry and buff off the haze.
You do not have to buff the haze off.

Empire products are great for removing rust and preventing rust. TopCote
does not do much to remove rust but keeps it away.

Originally TopCote was a surface lubricant to help your wood slide more
easily on the cast iron top and it did a superb job at doing so, so much so
that if you tossed a small piece of wood on your TS top it would likely
slide across the top and fall off the opposite side. The fact that this
coating also prevented rust was a little know fact for several years. The
product is not as good as it was as IMHO it no longer makes the surface as
slippery.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"asmurff" wrote in message
Is this the right stuff to protect the tablesaw cast-iron

--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.
If ya didn't see it, ya didn't feel it.
If ya see it, it didn't go off.
Old Air Force Munitions Saying
IYAAYAS

Yes it is. A little extra something here. Top Cote was developed about
20 years ago and was bought out by Bostik. The original developer of
TopCote is now called Empire Products and their products usually can be
found at the same places selling TopCote.

snip

of wood on your TS top it would likely
slide across the top and fall off the opposite side. The fact that this
coating also prevented rust was a little know fact for several years. The
product is not as good as it was as IMHO it no longer makes the surface as
slippery.

I'm puzzled. I live in Galveston County and I protect my tools with
Johnson's Wax and I have no rust problem in a garage shop.

Others have a problem with the wax though. ????

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message

I'm puzzled. I live in Galveston County and I protect my tools with
Johnson's Wax and I have no rust problem in a garage shop.

Others have a problem with the wax though. ????

How often do you wax? I reapply TopCote about twice a year.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message
I'm puzzled. I live in Galveston County and I protect my tools with
Johnson's Wax and I have no rust problem in a garage shop.

Others have a problem with the wax though. ????

I thought the wax did a crappy job. Better than nothing, but not nearly as
good as Top Cote

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message
I'm puzzled. I live in Galveston County and I protect my tools with
Johnson's Wax and I have no rust problem in a garage shop.

Others have a problem with the wax though. ????

I thought the wax did a crappy job. Better than nothing, but not nearly as
good as Top Cote

When I first started woodworking, my shop was in a basement that got an
inch of water in it every time it rained, no exaggeration. I was trying
everything to keep my big iron from rusting, including melting wax in
lacquer thinner and painting it on, still got rust.

Then one day my buddy that worked for 3M company got me this product
from the company store. This was a spray on like top cote. Interesting
that the can has the same color pattern as Top Cote. Anyway, this stuff
was PERFECT. It would last almost a year, no rust and slippery as all
get out. I can't find it anywhere and even sent email to 3M with no luck.

Just yesterday I applied some top cote to all my iron and it seems to be
a very similar product. Now I can't vouch for the longevity or lasting
power of Top Cote just yet, it appears to be the same product that 3M
had developed, and in the same color can. It smells a bit better but
that seems to be the only difference.

If anyone here works for 3M or knows more about the product in the
picture, I'd love to hear about it. Meanwhile, Top Cote seems to be a
winner.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Attached Thumbnails
Top-Cote-dcp_2188s-jpg

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Jack Stein" wrote

Then one day my buddy that worked for 3M company got me this product
from the company store. This was a spray on like top cote. Interesting
that the can has the same color pattern as Top Cote. Anyway, this stuff
was PERFECT. It would last almost a year, no rust and slippery as all
get out. I can't find it anywhere and even sent email to 3M with no luck.

Read the active ingredients ... and hope it's not "silicone" based, which
has no place in a woodshop.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Jack Stein wrote:

If anyone here works for 3M or knows more about the product in the
picture, I'd love to hear about it. Meanwhile, Top Cote seems to be a
winner.

The part about lubricating metal, plastic, rubber, and wood makes me
wonder if it is their "dry" silicone lubricant. The current version is
in a different can, but mentions metal, rubber, and plastics.

Of course normally woodworkers stay away from silicone as it can cause
finishing problems.

Chris
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 09:45:28 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message
I'm puzzled. I live in Galveston County and I protect my tools with
Johnson's Wax and I have no rust problem in a garage shop.

Others have a problem with the wax though. ????

I thought the wax did a crappy job. Better than nothing, but not nearly as
good as Top Cote

Same for me... Topcoat and "like" products are made to penetrate the surface and
bond, forming a seal.. Works well if you renew it regularly, in my case, about
every month during the humid months..

Wax has a bit of sealing ability and great "slide" factor, but hasn't done much
for me against rust since we moved to Mexico..
In California, Johnson's wax was all I ever needed, though..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I may just use the Johnson's wax then our average relative humidity is 59%
in the morning and 31% in the afternoons. Very dry here which I like to a
point, but it can play hell with the sinus and skin.

--
"mac davis" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"Jack Stein" wrote

Then one day my buddy that worked for 3M company got me this product
from the company store. This was a spray on like top cote. Interesting
that the can has the same color pattern as Top Cote. Anyway, this stuff
was PERFECT. It would last almost a year, no rust and slippery as all
get out. I can't find it anywhere and even sent email to 3M with no luck.

Read the active ingredients ... and hope it's not "silicone" based, which
has no place in a woodshop.

No silicone listed in it at all. I used it for years without any
problem. Wax on the other hand I did have problems with. Wax is easily
transfered to the wood you're working with, at least wax I melted down
with lacquer thinner and painted on. That crap didn't stop rust much
either. I have used silicone based wax, specifically Astro Shield car
wax. I had read a million or so times not to use silicone based stuff,
but I never had a problem with it. Still, I liked the 3M Telomer
dispersed dry lubricant, and I think that Top Cote is a very closely
related product, possibly, (hopefully) the same product.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Chris Friesen wrote:
Jack Stein wrote:

If anyone here works for 3M or knows more about the product in the
picture, I'd love to hear about it. Meanwhile, Top Cote seems to be a
winner.

The part about lubricating metal, plastic, rubber, and wood makes me
wonder if it is their "dry" silicone lubricant. The current version is
in a different can, but mentions metal, rubber, and plastics.

Of course normally woodworkers stay away from silicone as it can cause
finishing problems.

Nah, no silicone far as I know, but even if it had silicone, I used it
for over 10 years with nary a problem. It's "Special Features" listed
on the can are Non-Staining; Transparent; Resists temperatures to 400
degrees; Resists water, solvents, oil, detergents; is NON-TRANSFERRING;
will not damage most painted surfaces, does not collect dust or dirt.

It states it is an excellent release agent for injection molding, so I
guess that was it's main use.

It also states it is very effective as a dry film lubricant on machine
parts, bearings, sleeves packings, locks, hinges drawers, windows
pulleys cables, etc.

I can attest first hand it was unbelievable in it's rust prevention and
slickness on my big iron in an very, very damp environment. If Top Cote
is half as good, I will be quite happy.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Jack Stein" wrote

problem. Wax on the other hand I did have problems with. Wax is easily
transfered to the wood you're working with, at least wax I melted down
with lacquer thinner and painted on. That crap didn't stop rust much
either.

Depends a lot on the climate where you live. IME, Johnson Paste Wax doesn't
work all that well here on the Gulf Coast either, particularly in big
temperature/humitidy swings, although I've never had problems contaminating
wood with it.

I have used silicone based wax, specifically Astro Shield car
wax. I had read a million or so times not to use silicone based stuff,
but I never had a problem with it.

Personally, not something I would risk using in the shop. Silicone caused
'fish eye' is nasty stuff to deal with and about the only rememdy is even
more silicone to effectively lessen the surface tension on the entire
piece.... and next to impossible to decontaminate the shop once it's been
introduced, so it has the ability to bite you in the butt for a long time.

Still, I liked the 3M Telomer
dispersed dry lubricant, and I think that Top Cote is a very closely
related product, possibly, (hopefully) the same product.

May be, but it sure sound suspicious ... the thing about TopCote is that it
seems to work for just about everyone, regardless of climate or shop
conditions.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08