Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Old men & cats

What is it with old men and cats? Is that my destiny? I will get old
and become a cat dude?

Young men don't like cats. Many old men do. I know old guys that
relate to their cats like a wife. They tell stories about them. I've
seen old men ride their cat around in their car and on their
motorcycle.

I know I'm getting older. I don't mind a little gray hair. I wouldn't
mind losing my hair. (luckily that doesn't look to be the case) I
don't mind being called sir, I don't mind being a little forgetful, I
don't mind repeating myself, I don't mind being a little forgetful, I
don't mind when a pretty young thing snuggles up, smiles at me, and
says with a twinkle in her eye... "you remind me of my dad".

I don't mind any of that.

But... I live in dread of the day when I have to run home and feed my
cat, because if I don't, she'll be mad at me.

Joe Barta
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Check out this video of a not-young man who loves his cat Iris, who flies
with him on the dash of his Cessna.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nheqDASt7bg

Tom

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Tom Hayden wrote:

Check out this video of a not-young man who loves his cat Iris,
who flies with him on the dash of his Cessna.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nheqDASt7bg

Cat looks just a little nervous ;-)

The cat is thinking.. "While flying is certainly an uplifting and
exhilarating experience, this old man is definitely getting more out
of it than I am. Couldn't we just go home so I can eat, **** and take
a nap?"

Joe Barta
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 23:51:00 GMT, Joe Barta wrote:

I like dogs, but have preferred cats all my life...
Main reason, I think, is because they're so damn independent... Nobody ever owns
a cat, they're only around when they want to be..

The other reason is that they're so low maintenance... leave them food, water
and a box and you can be gone for a week with no worries..

[...]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

mac davis wrote in
news
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 23:51:00 GMT, Joe Barta wrote:

I like dogs, but have preferred cats all my life...
Main reason, I think, is because they're so damn independent... Nobody
ever owns a cat, they're only around when they want to be..

The other reason is that they're so low maintenance... leave them
food, water and a box and you can be gone for a week with no worries..

That independence thing also, to me, means that when a cat curls up on
your lap, or chest, or wherever, and purrs itself to sleep it does so
because it wants to, and trusts you. That trust is very powerful, and
makes me feel like a good fellow. Of course, YMMV.

[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Bob Bob is offline

"Joe Barta" wrote in message
.. .
What is it with old men and cats? Is that my destiny? I will get
old
and become a cat dude?

Young men don't like cats. Many old men do.

Snip

Actually, cats aren't too bad, especially when well marinated and
smoke on a medium heat for five or six hours.
Just kidding -
I'm an old man and can't stand cats.
Now we are mixing pets & barbecue on a wood working NG.
What's next; stamp collecting?
Bob-tx

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
RLM RLM is offline

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 23:51:00 +0000, Joe Barta wrote:

[...]

Dogs think you are the leader of the pack. Cats think of you as staff.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Bob" wrote in message

"Joe Barta" wrote in message
.. .
Now we are mixing pets & barbecue on a wood working NG.
What's next; stamp collecting?
Bob-tx

BBQ takes wood, as does paper. Have to ask, who collects stamps anymore?
As kids, we all learned more about geography and a touch of foreign
languages from the hobby. Given the deplorable state of knowledge about
geography prevailing today, I don't imagine there are many collectors out
there.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Joe Barta" wrote

But... I live in dread of the day when I have to run home and feed my
cat, because if I don't, she'll be mad at me.

You have to pay the price for any pussy.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

George wrote:

Have to ask, who collects stamps
anymore?

Who _uses_ stamps anymore? G

All of my bills are paid electronically, packages that don't go UPS or
FedEX get the postage stuck on at the service desk.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Bob" wrote in message
Now we are mixing pets & barbecue on a wood working NG.
What's next; stamp collecting?

No problem, I can help out here. These are pictures of the cat tree my
mistress ordered me to build. Believe it or not, there's a fair amount of
wood under there. Actually, the 2x4 part of the cat tree was wood I scammed
off a neighbour who was going to burn it in his barbeque.

There. Now we're all back on topic.

Attached Thumbnails
Old men & cats-cat-tree2-jpg  Old men & cats-deetoo10-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

No cats for me and I'm getting old. I have a 3 years old shepherd named
Sergeant Schultz who thinks he is a human. He is a great source of amusement
with his antics. He has my wife completely wrapped around his paw and she
has her own dog.

--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.
"Joe Barta" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Old men & cats-sgtshultznothing-jpg  Old men & cats-img_0322-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Old men & cats - 1 attachment

"George" wrote in
. net:

BBQ takes wood, as does paper. Have to ask, who collects stamps
anymore? As kids, we all learned more about geography and a touch of
foreign languages from the hobby. Given the deplorable state of
knowledge about geography prevailing today, I don't imagine there are
many collectors out there.

Well, let's see, I collect stamps and silver coins, computers, and science
fiction paper back books. Plus, I cook some mean brisket and ribs. Oh,
yeah...I have a cat.

Attached Thumbnails
Old men & cats-bluecat-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:50:06 -0500, "Upscale" wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
Now we are mixing pets & barbecue on a wood working NG.
What's next; stamp collecting?

No problem, I can help out here. These are pictures of the cat tree my
mistress ordered me to build. Believe it or not, there's a fair amount of
wood under there. Actually, the 2x4 part of the cat tree was wood I scammed
off a neighbour who was going to burn it in his barbeque.

There. Now we're all back on topic.

Cool.. looks like the mistress approves..

I'm in the design stage of one like that, but floor-to-ceiling...
How did you attach the carpet?
I've seen some of the commercial ones with it stapled on, but keep picturing one
of the cats hung up on a staple..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Old men & cats - 2 attachments

I'd post my cat "scratching post" but I'm too embarrased of how much of
*my* junk has accumulated on it over the past few. It started out as a
sort of entertainment center. Think of two seven-foot ladders made from
2x4's with the rungs spaced at about 2' intervals. The "ladders" are
connected by 3/4 plywood shelves about 3' wide. It originally held the
stereo receiver, TV, VCR, turntable, etc. When I moved into the house I no
longer needed it. I cut a notch out of one of the middle shelves and
covered it with carpet. The cats took one look at it and knew immediatly
what it was for. One scampered up to the top, the other proceeded to try
to shred the carpet on one of the uprights. Here's a pic of "the blue
catpet covered cat thing" (official name) in the background behind Beemer
(the tiger stripe) and Mr. Blue. And one of the Rowdy cat with the stereo
set-up in the background.

Attached Thumbnails
Old men & cats-cats007b-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rowdy4.jpg (25.1 KB, 54 views)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 18:56:31 GMT, Smaug Ichorfang wrote:

[...]

Cool.. how did you attach the carpet?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Bob" wrote in message
I'm an old man and can't stand cats.
Now we are mixing pets & barbecue on a wood working NG.
What's next; stamp collecting?
Bob-tx

Barbecue uses wood for fuel so that makes it on topic; a good way to use up
those small scraps. Cherry, walnut, maple, all give different results.
Cats, OTOH, can be grilled over a wood fire.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote in message
I'm in the design stage of one like that, but floor-to-ceiling...
How did you attach the carpet?
I've seen some of the commercial ones with it stapled on, but keep

picturing one
of the cats hung up on a staple..

To start off it really was too heavy a carpet that I used. Bending and
manipulating heavy shag carpet around small corners is a pain in the butt.
Initially, I cut the carpet mostly to fit, slightly oversized. I then used
contact cement to hold it in place and then a staple gun (5/8" staples)
following each one with a hammer making sure they were entirely inserted and
cutting the carpet with a razor knife as I moved along.

Considering the dozens of hours all this intense labour took, I might have
been better off just buying something similar in the pet store, but I was
amply rewarded the minute I presented my cat tree to my mistress. She tore
into it like a beaver on steroids and 30 months later it's still holding up
really well. Maybe the heavy shag carpet wasn't a complete waste.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

mac davis wrote in
:

Cool.. how did you attach the carpet?

Staples. Lots, and lots of staples. With one of those old-fashioned
staple guns, not one of the new "backwards" ergonomic ones (my hand is
still cramping). And some tacks in places that wouldn't stay put. That
was 15 years ago. The only repairs (besides trimming of the shreded edges)
has been to wrap the bottom 2 feet or so of the upright posts with jute
rope. The cats finally shreded it beyond fixing the carpet. When I run
across some more carpet scraps I'll put them on.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
t:

"Bob" wrote in message
I'm an old man and can't stand cats.
Now we are mixing pets & barbecue on a wood working NG.
What's next; stamp collecting?
Bob-tx

Barbecue uses wood for fuel so that makes it on topic; a good way to
use up those small scraps. Cherry, walnut, maple, all give different
results. Cats, OTOH, can be grilled over a wood fire.

Cats are harder to catch to cook. Dogs on the other hand, come when you
call.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/20/dog_flambe/

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:26:11 -0500, "Upscale" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
[...]

hmm... sounds very labor intensive...
Buying it isn't really an option.. we're talking 3 10' 4x4's and assorted 2x4's
with a combination wrap of carpet/sisal rope..
Way big, but a compromise from the 60 or 70' of carpeted shelving that she
wanted around the great room..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 04:06:47 GMT, Smaug Ichorfang wrote:

mac davis wrote in
:

Cool.. how did you attach the carpet?

Staples. Lots, and lots of staples. With one of those old-fashioned
staple guns, not one of the new "backwards" ergonomic ones (my hand is
still cramping). And some tacks in places that wouldn't stay put. That
was 15 years ago. The only repairs (besides trimming of the shreded edges)
has been to wrap the bottom 2 feet or so of the upright posts with jute
rope. The cats finally shreded it beyond fixing the carpet. When I run
across some more carpet scraps I'll put them on.

Ouch.. sounds painful..
I have a Sears electric tacker around here somewhere from a boat project in
another life..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Bob" wrote in message

"Joe Barta" wrote in message
.. .
What is it with old men and cats? Is that my destiny? I will get
old
and become a cat dude?

Young men don't like cats. Many old men do.

Snip

Actually, cats aren't too bad, especially when well marinated and
smoke on a medium heat for five or six hours.
Just kidding -
I'm an old man and can't stand cats.
Now we are mixing pets & barbecue on a wood working NG.
What's next; stamp collecting?
Bob-tx

Attached Images
File Type: bmp SniperKitten.bmp (69.6 KB, 44 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 02:08:10 GMT, "Raoul Watson"
wrote:

Cool picture... too bad it isn't bigger..

"Bob" wrote in message

"Joe Barta" wrote in message
.. .
What is it with old men and cats? Is that my destiny? I will get
old
and become a cat dude?

Young men don't like cats. Many old men do.

Snip

Actually, cats aren't too bad, especially when well marinated and
smoke on a medium heat for five or six hours.
Just kidding -
I'm an old man and can't stand cats.
Now we are mixing pets & barbecue on a wood working NG.
What's next; stamp collecting?
Bob-tx

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote in message
Cool picture... too bad it isn't bigger..

Mac, if you're interested in some real funny cat pics, send me your email
address.

Attached Thumbnails
Old men & cats-stick_em_up-jpg  Old men & cats-cat-attack-jpg

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 00:43:09 -0500, "Upscale" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
Cool picture... too bad it isn't bigger..

Mac, if you're interested in some real funny cat pics, send me your email
address.

I've got the stickup one, but always like to see funny pics..
my email is real if ya remove the "splinters"..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

mac davis wrote in
:

wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
Cool picture... too bad it isn't bigger..

Mac, if you're interested in some real funny cat pics, send me your
email address.

I've got the stickup one, but always like to see funny pics..
my email is real if ya remove the "splinters"..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Why not just post them here so we can all enjoy them. It's not like this
newsgroup is overloaded at the moment.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 16:53:16 GMT, Smaug Ichorfang wrote:

mac davis wrote in
:

wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
Cool picture... too bad it isn't bigger..

Mac, if you're interested in some real funny cat pics, send me your
email address.

I've got the stickup one, but always like to see funny pics..
my email is real if ya remove the "splinters"..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Why not just post them here so we can all enjoy them. It's not like this
newsgroup is overloaded at the moment.

very true...
I was thinking of posting shop pictures or something, since it's so slow right
now..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Smaug Ichorfang" wrote in message
Why not just post them here so we can all enjoy them. It's not like this
newsgroup is overloaded at the moment.

Ok, here you go.

Attached Thumbnails
Old men & cats-all-weather-cat-jpg  Old men & cats-angry-cat-jpg  Old men & cats-best-buddies-jpg  Old men & cats-cat-mouse-jpg  Old men & cats-cat-bear-jpg

Old men & cats-cat-attack-jpg  Old men & cats-catbird-jpg  Old men & cats-catt_huligan-jpg  Old men & cats-krisokot-jpg  Old men & cats-monkey_cat-jpg

Old men & cats-smallest-cat-jpg  Old men & cats-smells-good-jpg  Old men & cats-smoker-jpg  Old men & cats-surrogatemum1-jpg  Old men & cats-surrogatemum2-jpg

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Balance.JPG (768.5 KB, 41 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 04:26:36 -0500, "Upscale" wrote:

"Smaug Ichorfang" wrote in message
Why not just post them here so we can all enjoy them. It's not like this
newsgroup is overloaded at the moment.

Ok, here you go.

I like the one with the cig...
My wife says that he definitely looks like he needs his morning coffee..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Joe Barta wrote:
[...]

This guy went to the big litter box in the sky last year because of
FELV, but he was a real mellow guy.

Attached Thumbnails
Old men & cats-shopcat-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message

This guy went to the big litter box in the sky last year because of
FELV, but he was a real mellow guy.

Gorgeous kitty. I think what I like the most about my cat is the affection I
get from her. It doesn't matter if I've been gone 10 minutes or 10 hours,
whenever I come home she comes running up to greet me the same way every
time. I can be in the most miserable of moods when I get home, but I'm
always immediately cheered up by the unwavering gladness she displays when I
appear. Can't ask for much more than that. I'd have a big dog if I lived in
a house, but I'd never subject a dog like that to an apartment, so my cat
does me fine.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
This guy went to the big litter box in the sky last year because of
FELV, but he was a real mellow guy.

Gorgeous kitty. I think what I like the most about my cat is the affection I
get from her. It doesn't matter if I've been gone 10 minutes or 10 hours,
whenever I come home she comes running up to greet me the same way every
time. I can be in the most miserable of moods when I get home, but I'm
always immediately cheered up by the unwavering gladness she displays when I
appear. Can't ask for much more than that. I'd have a big dog if I lived in
a house, but I'd never subject a dog like that to an apartment, so my cat
does me fine.

Yup - this guy was my alarm clock. Just about daylight every morning,
he'd gently (for an 18 lb cat) walk up on my chest and give me three or
four head butts to get the day started. I miss him.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message

Yup - this guy was my alarm clock. Just about daylight every morning,
he'd gently (for an 18 lb cat) walk up on my chest and give me three or
four head butts to get the day started. I miss him.

My 13 lb kitty used to sleep on the bookshelf beside my bed because I thrash
around a lot when I sleep, but things have started to change. Lately I've
been waking up and she'd be sitting on my chest purring. I still haven't
gotten used to waking up and seeing this big cat face staring at me two
inches away from my nose.

Cats and gravel Dark Angel[_2_] UK diy 34 October 15th 18 08:38 PM
Cats EXT Home Repair 0 February 3rd 08 11:02 PM
LET AIR IN KEEP CATS OUT svmsbb UK diy 6 March 4th 07 02:19 PM
Why is a cats head call a cats head? TheAndroid Metalworking 11 January 17th 06 10:42 AM
OT-Cats Gunner Metalworking 29 December 29th 03 07:04 PM