Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
DDG DDG is offline

Default ash project

I've got some ash and started a frame for my wife's butcher block. However
the worms have eaten it worse than I knew before sawing and planing it. I
think it will add character if I can ever get all the 'worm dirt' removed.
Not sure what finish. I tried colonial maple, light oak, and fruit wood but
none really do it.

Any suggestions on worm dirt removal? I've been using an old dental pick and
pocket knife.

Attached Thumbnails
ash project-december2007-013-%5B320x200%5D-jpg  ash project-december2007-009-%5B320x200%5D-jpg  ash project-december2007-012-%5B320x200%5D-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"DDG" TEXANX5_at_yahoo.com wrote in message
I've got some ash and started a frame for my wife's butcher block.
However
the worms have eaten it worse than I knew before sawing and planing it. I
think it will add character if I can ever get all the 'worm dirt' removed.
Not sure what finish. I tried colonial maple, light oak, and fruit wood
but
none really do it.

Any suggestions on worm dirt removal? I've been using an old dental pick
and
pocket knife.

I'd want to seal those holes with poly or similar finish for a butcher
block. While yours in not a commercial kitchen, you still don't want those
tiny holes breeding bacteria. I'd use maple or some other wood that has a
smooth grain.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"DDG" TEXANX5_at_yahoo.com wrote:

I've got some ash and started a frame for my wife's butcher block.
However
the worms have eaten it worse than I knew before sawing and planing it. I
think it will add character if I can ever get all the 'worm dirt' removed.
Not sure what finish. I tried colonial maple, light oak, and fruit wood
but none really do it.

Any suggestions on worm dirt removal? I've been using an old dental pick
and pocket knife.

I'd try an air compressor - see if you can't blow it out. May have some
pickwork to do as well but 90 psi works wonders...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller, Juneau, Alaska
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I agree on the air compressor,

Are the worm holes big enough for pipe cleaners?
see: http://kwikcrafts.com/crafts/categor...-Cleaners.html they have
different size cleaners, you might be able to find them locally.

DDG wrote:
I've got some ash and started a frame for my wife's butcher block.
However the worms have eaten it worse than I knew before sawing and
planing it. I think it will add character if I can ever get all the
'worm dirt' removed. Not sure what finish. I tried colonial maple, light
oak, and fruit wood but none really do it.

Any suggestions on worm dirt removal? I've been using an old dental pick
and pocket knife.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
DDG DDG is offline

Got the air set on 100 psi (that is all my blower is rated for) and it helps
but so far lots of picking.

Yes, I agree with sealing I'm planning to stain with antique cherry then
seal with several cotes of poly.

If I had known about the worm damage I'd probably selected different boards
but really different realize it was so extensive until after I assembled and
started the prep work.

DDG wrote:
I've got some ash and started a frame for my wife's butcher block.
However the worms have eaten it worse than I knew before sawing and
planing it. I think it will add character if I can ever get all the
'worm dirt' removed. Not sure what finish. I tried colonial maple, light
oak, and fruit wood but none really do it.

Any suggestions on worm dirt removal? I've been using an old dental pick
and pocket knife.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
DDG DDG is offline

Found some "Butcher Block" Finish oil finish today for the actual butcher
block top, had planned to just use mineral oil but this stuff reads like it
would be a lot better service.

"DDG" TEXANX5_at_yahoo.com wrote in message
I've got some ash and started a frame for my wife's butcher block.
However
the worms have eaten it worse than I knew before sawing and planing it. I
think it will add character if I can ever get all the 'worm dirt' removed.
Not sure what finish. I tried colonial maple, light oak, and fruit wood
but
none really do it.

Any suggestions on worm dirt removal? I've been using an old dental pick
and
pocket knife.

Attached Thumbnails
ash project-december2007-014-%5B320x200%5D-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"DDG" TEXANX5_at_yahoo.com wrote in message
Got the air set on 100 psi (that is all my blower is rated for) and it helps
but so far lots of picking.

Yes, I agree with sealing I'm planning to stain with antique cherry then
seal with several cotes of poly.

If I had known about the worm damage I'd probably selected different boards
but really different realize it was so extensive until after I assembled and
started the prep work.

----

Since the damage is on the legs, I wouldn't woory so much about bacteria...
hatchings maybe, but when was the last time you chopped anything on the leg
of your chopping block?

Hopefully you'll be able to get all of the critters out of it.
I would likely do pretty much what you're doing, a dental pick and an air
compressor.

OH OH OH ...... have WIFEY do it! It's for her.. right? *wink*

Kate

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
DDG DDG is offline

Oh yes for the wife It came as a present from I think my parents originally
and she loves it but the forged al and pole frame cracked and it collapsed
to the floor.

"Kate" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

£100,000.00 Project... tazz8u Home Repair 0 May 7th 07 02:05 PM
Help with my first project [email protected] Woodworking 2 July 7th 06 07:33 PM
I have a project! Mark and Kim Smith Woodworking 14 November 14th 05 08:21 PM
New project Justice Electronics 2 November 6th 05 08:02 PM
project car Erik Litchy Metalworking 0 December 17th 04 03:31 PM