Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Al Al is offline

Default need advice cleaning up my mess

I think I have got the most expensive tile cutter. It works like a charm and
no dust either. I think as a woodworker I make a really good tiler. What do
you think.
now seriously,
I need to clean up the saw . I have not moved the blade at all , do not want
to damage the gears. any advice. Do you think I should pull it apart , or
at least remove the plate on the top and wash the whole thing in oil ???
what do you recommend. I want to know if someone out there has used their
saw as a tile cutter ????

cheers
al

Attached Thumbnails
need advice cleaning up my mess-2007-11-18-19-14-33-00001-jpg  need advice cleaning up my mess-2007-11-18-19-14-33-00003-jpg  need advice cleaning up my mess-2007-11-18-19-14-33-00004-jpg  need advice cleaning up my mess-2007-11-18-19-14-33-00005-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Al Al is offline

al wrote:

I think I have got the most expensive tile cutter. It works like a charm
and no dust either. I think as a woodworker I make a really good tiler.
What do you think.
now seriously,
I need to clean up the saw . I have not moved the blade at all , do not
want to damage the gears. any advice. Do you think I should pull it apart
, or at least remove the plate on the top and wash the whole thing in oil
??? what do you recommend. I want to know if someone out there has used
their saw as a tile cutter ????

cheers
al

sorry the imprtant shot got left out

Attached Thumbnails
need advice cleaning up my mess-2007-11-18-19-14-33-00002-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

al wrote:
I need to clean up the saw

and replace all the bearings, bushings, gears, commutator and brushes.

Seriously, this is a hell of a way to completely ruin a nice saw.
I've used an old circular saw to cut perhaps 50 terracotta tiles,
and it went in the bin afterwards. It was the cheapest way to do
it - the new saw was only $120 and I needed it anyhow, so I figure
that killing the old saw was justified.

The brick dust gets sucked in to everything and every bearing was
loose - rattling loose! - and it was running out and also arcing
like crazy on the brushes. You probably have an induction motor
which will have fared better, but seriously, you should *not* have
done this. I hope you saved big $ on the hire of a tile-cutter.

Clifford Heath.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"al" wrote in message
I think I have got the most expensive tile cutter. It works like a charm
and
no dust either. I think as a woodworker I make a really good tiler. What
do
you think.
now seriously,
I need to clean up the saw . I have not moved the blade at all , do not
want
to damage the gears. any advice. Do you think I should pull it apart , or
at least remove the plate on the top and wash the whole thing in oil ???
what do you recommend. I want to know if someone out there has used their
saw as a tile cutter ????

cheers
al

Did you save enough money to buy a new saw?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Al Al is offline

Leon wrote:

"al" wrote in message
I think I have got the most expensive tile cutter. It works like a charm
and
no dust either. I think as a woodworker I make a really good tiler. What
do
you think.
now seriously,
I need to clean up the saw . I have not moved the blade at all , do not
want
to damage the gears. any advice. Do you think I should pull it apart , or
at least remove the plate on the top and wash the whole thing in oil ???
what do you recommend. I want to know if someone out there has used their
saw as a tile cutter ????

cheers
al

Did you save enough money to buy a new saw?

I actually panicked after what cliff had to say. So I went in there and
thought I would just try and see if i could clean it up with compressed
air. as you can see in the photos, it cleaned up. I will clean it up better
and then lube it. I hadnt move the blade at all and the dust extraction was
on at all time. there is minimum dust sitting on the motor. and the saw
still hums as beautifully as the day i bought it. I doubt it if i have got
any dust in my bearings.
I had to cut more than 200 tiles and I did save around 4 grand in tiling so
it was well worth it. All said, I will not do it again. It wasnt worth the
panick. I kinda really like my saw....

cheers
al

Attached Thumbnails
need advice cleaning up my mess-20071118_cutting_tiles-img_1487-jpg  need advice cleaning up my mess-20071118_cutting_tiles-img_1489-jpg  need advice cleaning up my mess-20071118_cutting_tiles-img_1491-jpg

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

In article , al wrote:
[...]
I had to cut more than 200 tiles and I did save around 4 grand in tiling so
it was well worth it. All said, I will not do it again. It wasnt worth the
panick. I kinda really like my saw....

You saved 4 grand in tiling, but you wouldn't spend fifty bucks to rent a
proper tile saw??

--
Regards,