Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Secret door in place and dressed.

The play opens tonight - It is Agatha Christie's Spider's Web.
Set in 1954 England, with decoration a decade or so earlier.

Cast and crew are happy with the working of it, and soon we'll see if
the audience approves.

Pics in reply to this.

Mekon

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Mekon used his keyboard to write :
The play opens tonight - It is Agatha Christie's Spider's Web.
Set in 1954 England, with decoration a decade or so earlier.

Cast and crew are happy with the working of it, and soon we'll see if the
audience approves.

Pics in reply to this.

Mekon

Secret door closed.

Mekon

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Mekon explained on 27/10/2007 :
The play opens tonight - It is Agatha Christie's Spider's Web.
Set in 1954 England, with decoration a decade or so earlier.

Cast and crew are happy with the working of it, and soon we'll see if the
audience approves.

Pics in reply to this.

Mekon

Secret door open

Mekon

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 23:07:36 GMT, Mekon
wrote:

The play opens tonight - It is Agatha Christie's Spider's Web.
Set in 1954 England, with decoration a decade or so earlier.

I want to work with you! G

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

B a r r y formulated on Saturday :
wrote:

The play opens tonight - It is Agatha Christie's Spider's Web.
Set in 1954 England, with decoration a decade or so earlier.

I want to work with you! G

The next set building will be sometime in March!

We can't work in the summer months as the building has no air con and
once those lights go up, we do our bit for global warming!

Mekon

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Some photos of the set in use he

www.frontrow.org.au/spidersweb/gallery.htm

Mekon

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 00:42:49 GMT, Mekon
wrote:

The next set building will be sometime in March!

Rough commute from Connecticut, USA. 8^(
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 23:10:24 GMT, Mekon
wrote:

Mekon laid this down on his screen :
The play opens tonight - It is Agatha Christie's Spider's Web.
Set in 1954 England, with decoration a decade or so earlier.

Cast and crew are happy with the working of it, and soon we'll see if the
audience approves.

Pics in reply to this.

Mekon

Secret door open

Mekon

Very nicely done!

I build a lot of the sets for our local community theatre, we're just
starting to build Pirates of Penzance (in which I will also be on
stage as a pirate).

I also design & set up (and sometimes run) sound & lights for many of
the shows.

I'll have to see if I can dig up some photos.

Also, there's an online forum that has some good info he
http://www.communitytheater.org

We reecently finished Cuckoo's Nest in which I basically designed &
built everything - set, lights, sound, and I was Scanlon, the mad
bomber. I was so happy with my el-cheapo electrical arc effect I
shared it he
http://www.communitytheater.org/foru...s.asp?TID=2681

Mike
Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 23:07:36 GMT, Mekon wrote:

The play opens tonight - It is Agatha Christie's Spider's Web.
Set in 1954 England, with decoration a decade or so earlier.

Cast and crew are happy with the working of it, and soon we'll see if
the audience approves.

Pics in reply to this.

Mekon

Wonderful illusion, as usual.. great work!

Our production closes tonight and maybe for good...
Just not enough interest here to support a theater, I guess... Only 60 people
for 2 shows last weekend and 7 lonely folks last night...
If we have a decent turnout tonight it might cover expenses..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

That's sad.
I have participated once in a community theater.
Its benifit goes way beyond entertainment.

wrote:

illusion, as usual.. great work!

Our production closes tonight and maybe for good...
Just not enough interest here to support a theater, I guess... Only 60
people
for 2 shows last weekend and 7 lonely folks last night...
If we have a decent turnout tonight it might cover expenses..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Mike Patterson laid this down on his screen :

wrote:

Mekon laid this down on his screen :
The play opens tonight - It is Agatha Christie's Spider's Web.
Set in 1954 England, with decoration a decade or so earlier.

Cast and crew are happy with the working of it, and soon we'll see if the
audience approves.

Pics in reply to this.

Mekon

Secret door open

Mekon

Very nicely done!

Thanks, and thanks for the fireworks / electrical box tip, if we ever
do it I'll remember that!

Mekon

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

mac davis was thinking very hard :
wrote:

The play opens tonight - It is Agatha Christie's Spider's Web.
Set in 1954 England, with decoration a decade or so earlier.

Cast and crew are happy with the working of it, and soon we'll see if
the audience approves.

Pics in reply to this.

Mekon

Wonderful illusion, as usual.. great work!

Our production closes tonight and maybe for good...
Just not enough interest here to support a theater, I guess... Only 60 people
for 2 shows last weekend and 7 lonely folks last night...
If we have a decent turnout tonight it might cover expenses..

mac

That's a crying shame Mac, the death of a theatre must be hard to bear.

One of Brisbane's community theatres is having similar trouble right
now. The kids theatre section is paying for the rest. Kids on stage
always drag in the audience!
For us it is Agatha Christie or an Alan Ayckbourne that are the year's
cash cows.

Mekon

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

young_carpenter explained on 28/10/2007 :
That's sad.
I have participated once in a community theater.
Its benifit goes way beyond entertainment.

Indeed. I point out to young men I meet that in Community theatre you
meet many beautiful women and many of the competition bat for the other
team!

If only I had known that when I was young and single!

Mekon

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

B a r r y explained :
wrote:

The next set building will be sometime in March!

Rough commute from Connecticut, USA. 8^(

Yeah, but you could do worse than contacting your nearest group. The
variety of work that you get to make is amazing.

Mekon

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 22:05:24 GMT, Mekon
wrote:

Yeah, but you could do worse than contacting your nearest group. The
variety of work that you get to make is amazing.

Hmmm... G
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

wrote:

The next set building will be sometime in March!

Rough commute from Connecticut, USA. 8^(

But think of the flying time you could log.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Nova presented the following explanation :
wrote:

The next set building will be sometime in March!

Rough commute from Connecticut, USA. 8^(

But think of the flying time you could log.

Sure, but hed have to get new tools, we have 220v here. Oh... I said
that like it was a *bad* thing!

Mekon

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 01:08:07 GMT, Nova wrote:

But think of the flying time you could log.

If I could do it non-stop, home base to Sidney would be only 95 hours
in my plane. G

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default OT: Set pictures from Baja, MX (0/1)

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 21:55:30 GMT, Mekon wrote:

Our production closes tonight and maybe for good...
Just not enough interest here to support a theater, I guess... Only 60 people
for 2 shows last weekend and 7 lonely folks last night...
If we have a decent turnout tonight it might cover expenses..

That's a crying shame Mac, the death of a theatre must be hard to bear.

One of Brisbane's community theatres is having similar trouble right
now. The kids theatre section is paying for the rest. Kids on stage
always drag in the audience!
For us it is Agatha Christie or an Alan Ayckbourne that are the year's
cash cows.

Mekon

Well, there is a bit of hope.... We had almost 40 butts in the seats last night,
on closing night.. We're thinking that word of mouth and some hustling on ticket
sales spurred some interest.. beats the hell out of the 7 Friday night.. Ticket
sales that night didn't even cover the royalties..

They're having a meeting next weekend to decide if they'll go head with the
January production, and if so, how to lose less money...
The big question that I've been asking them is if there are enough gringos here
to be interested in attending/supporting live theater..

They had just enough sponsors and sold just enough ads in the program and
tickets to cover expenses for THIS play, but the couple that founded the group
are still several thousand dollars in the hole from startup costs last year..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default OT: Set pictures from Baja, MX (1/1)

Attached Thumbnails
Secret door in place and dressed.-bats1-jpg  Secret door in place and dressed.-bats2-jpg  Secret door in place and dressed.-bats3-jpg  Secret door in place and dressed.-bats4-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

wrote:

The next set building will be sometime in March!

Rough commute from Connecticut, USA. 8^(

Yeah, but you could do worse than contacting your nearest group. The
variety of work that you get to make is amazing.

Mekon

For sure.. I've only helped on a few things, like mock-up sinks and making spot
lighting, but the whole thing is the challenge of creating an illusion and not
spending money that they don't have...lol

Next step, if the group survives, is a light remodel of the building they use...
It's the old Mexican Rotary building and had been empty for 5 or 6 years..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

That's a nice neat set. Kitchens are always hard, they seem to require
more fiddly bits and details than other rooms.
The stage looks like it would be hard to light, those low ceilings
would make all the over stage floods impossible to hang, is there any
room for lights if you take out one of those ceiling panels?

Oh and.. what is the play?

if you need any one act plays, I have a couple that have been performed
outside my group and were well received. I'd be happy to donate the
royalties to aid a start up theatre.

Mekon

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Well, now ya done it - it ain't a secret no more.

B.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Buddy Matlosz has brought this to us :
Well, now ya done it - it ain't a secret no more.

B.

"Mekon" wrote in message
. ..
Mekon laid this down on his screen :
The play opens tonight - It is Agatha Christie's Spider's Web.
Set in 1954 England, with decoration a decade or so earlier.

Cast and crew are happy with the working of it, and soon we'll see if the
audience approves.

Pics in reply to this.

Mekon

Secret door open

Mekon

You mean I can't trust the good folk around here? Sheesh!

Mekon

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 22:49:41 GMT, Mekon wrote:

That's a nice neat set. Kitchens are always hard, they seem to require
more fiddly bits and details than other rooms.

I helped build the kitchen.. colors were picked by the actors.. lol
Only the cabinet doors that need to open during the play are real, most are
mockups.. the "sink" is a plastic wash tub, the frig hasn't worked in years, the
table and chairs, pictures, coffee pot, etc. are borrowed... the stairs go up 3
steps and stop.. very low budget, but folks liked it..
The coffee carafe has brown tape in it to make it look full.. fooled most
folks..

The stage looks like it would be hard to light, those low ceilings
would make all the over stage floods impossible to hang, is there any
room for lights if you take out one of those ceiling panels?

My friend built a "light bar" out of an old, bent piece of steel bar about 10'
long. Welded a piece if 2" wide flat stock at each end, about 2' long, with
holes pre-drilled to fit on one of the steel girders about the suspended
ceiling..
Then he mad several "spots" out of coffee cans, light fixtures, etc... Even made
them "filtered" by cutting whatever shape he needed out of the old plastic lids
from the cans.. very clever guy..

The I-beam is about 20' from the edge of the stage and the lights are pointed
down at about a 45 degree angle..
He controls about 12 spots with a panel of dimmer switches.. also has buttons
and switches for sound, phone ringing, etc...

Oh and.. what is the play?

The play was "A coupla white chicks sitting around" by John F. Noonan..
Royalties were $75 a performance..
(My wife is the blonde "chick", the taller of the two)

if you need any one act plays, I have a couple that have been performed
outside my group and were well received. I'd be happy to donate the
royalties to aid a start up theatre.

I'm sure they'd be interested...
They really want this to work and be something that the community enjoys and
help the local people..
When they get their investment back any further proceeds will be used for local
schools and the animal shelter..

I'm sort of looking forward to "striking the set" Wednesday... I have 2 ladders
and a lot of tools there that I'd really rather have in my shop.. ;-]