Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Need help with Gambrel roof angles

Sketch of a garden shed done for a friend.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Attached Thumbnails
Re: Need help with Gambrel roof angles-gambrel-garden-shed-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Here's the way I did it. I left it large so you could zoom in on details.
Hope it helps.

Attached Thumbnails
Re: Need help with Gambrel roof angles-gambrelroof1-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Scott Cox" wrote in
:

Here's the way I did it. I left it large so you could zoom in on
details. Hope it helps.

I don't know much about this, but it seems to me that one would want some
kind of structural member (a tie beam or cable) preventing spread of the
roof under snow loads or such, kinda like Morris showed in his sketch (the
red member). Maybe your gussets provide enough joint rigidity to prevent
collapse, or maybe you don't get snow... Looks real nice, though - that
ain't a shed, it's a small barn.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Scott Cox" wrote in message
Here's the way I did it. I left it large so you could zoom in on details.
Hope it helps.

I hope the wind didn't blow before you got the sheathing on. :-)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Suggestions

Structural engineer here.

You need to properly provide "shear walls" on that building. From
what you have framed I would think that a big blow of about 50-60mph
would push it over.

In a wind you are going to have several forces on that building. Wind
will try and slide the building, wind will try and push it over
(racking), and wind flowing over the top will try and lift the
building.

You need to make sure your roof and walls have a continuous load path
to your foundation. I hope your bottom plate is bolted about every
24" to the foundation. Also make sure your studs have metal strap
connections to the bottom plate. Additionally, use huriicane metal
straps from rafters to studs. If you do this you will have a
continuous load path. I would also add diagonal bracing on your roof
prior to adding plywood.

I would suggest that at least the first row of plywood on the roof be
edge nailed every 4" and every 6" on intermediate rafters. Do the
same for the plywood that extends out to the rake boards.

On your walls make sure you have full sheet plywood from plate to
plate on all walls. On the corners make sure you edge nail every 4"
and 6" on the intermediate studs.

On the area to the left and right of your garage opening. This is
very critical since such little walls. You need plywood on both sides
from plate to plate and nail off at every 3". Hopefully your garage
opening header extends over these narrow wall sections. The plywood
should ideally cover the header and be nailed on at least 3" spacing.

Yes, this seems like overkill. But this is the learnings from the
storms in Florida a few years ago. Believe it or not, most damage was
done at 60-80 mph burst of winds.

Hope this helps.

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 20:29:47 -0600, "Scott Cox"
wrote:

Here's the way I did it. I left it large so you could zoom in on details.
Hope it helps.

Need help with Gambrel roof angles woodstuff Woodworking 8 October 11th 07 01:07 AM
Roof angles Eigenvector Home Repair 17 July 15th 07 03:02 AM
Shingling over a Gambrel Shed Roof? Blackadder III Home Repair 3 June 11th 06 01:13 PM
barn plans - gambrel roof - free R. Pierce Butler Woodworking 3 June 9th 06 12:35 PM
? about gambrel roof angles jaime steward Woodworking 4 November 21st 04 06:39 PM